• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Conor O'Shea

psychic duck

International
Would be interested to hear the views of regular Aviva Premiership watchers on this. Seems Quins had a brief period of overachievement at the top of the Premiership, but have since slipped to mid table.

But how good is Conor O'Shea as a coach and a manager? Is he a coach well suited to international rugby (where managing the best out of the existing squad is what is needed as opposed to constructing your own squad)? Is he a coach who can revive Italy from the mess they are in?

Thing is that O'Shea is more of a director than a head coach as such. His strong points are man management, youth development and tactical thought rather than having a good grasp over a particular unit like the pack. With regards his links to the Italian Job, I think he could do a great job I'm shaking up the entire set up but he'd need a far better staff around him than what's there right now. I imagine if he got that job his role would be far beyond just the international set up. Surely he'd contribute to the development of Zebre and Treviso and their youth systems in particular.

Lads O'Shea really is intelligent. He's not taking that job unless he fully believes he can succeed.

Would be interested to hear the views of regular Aviva Premiership watchers on this. Seems Quins had a brief period of overachievement at the top of the Premiership, but have since slipped to mid table.

But how good is Conor O'Shea as a coach and a manager? Is he a coach well suited to international rugby (where managing the best out of the existing squad is what is needed as opposed to constructing your own squad)? Is he a coach who can revive Italy from the mess they are in?

Ironically, I thought Quins were well on track for a revival this year before O'Shea opened his big gob midway through the season - they've looked half the team ever since.

I don't think there's any coach in the AP who's made more of a virtue of developing his own players. Very close to 50pc of the squad is from the academy. The idea of having to manage the best out of the existing players there won't daunt him at all.

I'm not sure he's the man to revive them from the mess they're in but that's a herculean task. He will be, imo, well suited to international rugby though. His true value to Italian rugby could lay in what he does outside of international windows though.

Is it a no lose situation for Conor O'Shea? Italy are at their lowest ebb. Any improvement in their fortunes boosts his profile for a job with a good club or with the IRFU. If he falters, he'll walk into a club job anyway based on his record developing players for Quins.

If he can put his expertise from his time with the EIS and RFU to good use, Italy's structures in developing players should improve.

I think it's an odd choice from the Italians.

I'd agree that O'Shea is a good man manager with a good track record of youth development; unquestionably the Italian domestic game, talent ID etc needs overhauling. But that all takes time and in the medium term the national team is a top down project which I'd have thought suited someone with a proven track record at international level.

Not saying O'Shea can't succeed - I hope he does - but it's a tough job.

Latest posts