• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Contesting the High Ball

Yes yes yes!! I can only imagine how much this game will be improved for me now...

...If only there was a way to avoid using that silly slow half-hour sidestep animation...

Originally posted by .:kaftka:.@Feb 5 2006, 07:58 PM
Yes yes yes!! I can only imagine how much this game will be improved for me now...

...If only there was a way to avoid using that silly slow half-hour sidestep animation...
Has anyone managed to do this on their own kick off?

Originally posted by Trev@Swordfish@Feb 4 2006, 09:15 PM
Yeah ... you can jump and take the ball manually. It's not actually in the manual as we didn't think it worked very well and didn't want to make a big deal about it, but we left it in. You can do it on all 3 versions.
This is huge news, why did you guys down play it, it doesn't work all the time? You have to time it perfectly? What is the button you have to press, for each system, and what is the best tip to be succesfull at at? There has been some bad jumping, in games, so at least you guys made an attempt at it.
<
The only way to get better at somthing is by practice, it's not going to come out perfect on the first attempt.
<

Originally posted by lionmaul+Feb 6 2006, 02:55 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lionmaul @ Feb 6 2006, 02:55 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Trev@Swordfish
@Feb 4 2006, 09:15 PM
Yeah ... you can jump and take the ball manually. It's not actually in the manual as we didn't think it worked very well and didn't want to make a big deal about it, but we left it in. You can do it on all 3 versions.
This is huge news, why did you guys down play it, it doesn't work all the time? You have to time it perfectly? What is the button you have to press, for each system, and what is the best tip to be succesfull at at? There has been some bad jumping, in games, so at least you guys made an attempt at it.
<
The only way to get better at somthing is by practice, it's not going to come out perfect on the first attempt.
<
[/b]
Normality resumed. I was begining to get worried.

A thread ! About contesting the high ball ! Without Lionmaul ! Are you mad ??
<

I lurk more than post on this forum but even I was waiting for the "LionMaul Seal of Approval for Ingame Jumping" ™.

Originally posted by lionmaul+Feb 6 2006, 02:55 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (lionmaul @ Feb 6 2006, 02:55 AM)</div>
<
<
[/b]

I think it's the 'x' button on PS2. You have to hold it down when the ball is in the air and if the player can make a jump and take the ball then he will. The problem is, it doesn't work all of the time. It only works if the timing is right ie. the length of the jump animation will coincide with the flight of tha ball.

I felt it was a bit too clunky and was did not fit in with the rest of the free flowing gameplay. On JLR we managed to integrate the jumping so it fit with the reat of the system.

We knew people would find it so we left it in. I'm still not convinced it's great.

Originally posted by knowsleyroader+Feb 6 2006, 02:59 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (knowsleyroader @ Feb 6 2006, 02:59 AM)</div>
Originally posted by lionmaul@Feb 6 2006, 02:55 AM

<
<
Normality resumed. I was begining to get worried.

A thread ! About contesting the high ball ! Without Lionmaul ! Are you mad ??
<
[/b]
Beleve it or not this news, along with todays poll about the game drove me over the line to order it.
<
I hope I like it, as I even payed express shipping from New Zealand to the US. so that is arrives before Rugby 2006.

Originally posted by Trev@Swordfish+Feb 6 2006, 08:33 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Trev@Swordfish @ Feb 6 2006, 08:33 AM)</div>
Originally posted by lionmaul@Feb 6 2006, 02:55 AM

<
<

I think it's the 'x' button on PS2. You have to hold it down when the ball is in the air and if the player can make a jump and take the ball then he will. The problem is, it doesn't work all of the time. It only works if the timing is right ie. the length of the jump animation will coincide with the flight of tha ball.

I felt it was a bit too clunky and was did not fit in with the rest of the free flowing gameplay. On JLR we managed to integrate the jumping so it fit with the reat of the system.

We knew people would find it so we left it in. I'm still not convinced it's great. [/b]
Yeah, there are problems. You really have to hold it down a while and sprint by clicking in the thumbstick (annoying) to get into position... Even then it doesn't work all of the time. However, this has opened up a whole lot of attacking (and defending) possibilities for me.

this news was brilliant

i catch all the kick-offs and garry owens now, and even starts some good attcking opportunity in counter attack, as u get alot of momentum after taking the catch

cheers trev :bravo:

Originally posted by ak47@Feb 7 2006, 08:51 AM
this news was brilliant

i catch all the kick-offs and garry owens now, and even starts some good attcking opportunity in counter attack, as u get alot of momentum after taking the catch

cheers trev :bravo:
Yeah, I still struggle a lot with garryowens, having to switch my thumb from Y to A and clicking in the thumbstick to sprint is a struggle and confuses me, but when I do get it, it's great.

Also, this game is starting to remind me a lot of Lomu. You can fend off five players with a mammoth if you time it right. The jumping looks the same (;)), and the player control is brilliant.

Originally posted by .:kaftka:.+Feb 7 2006, 02:10 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-ak47
@Feb 7 2006, 08:51 AM
this news was brilliant

cheers  trev  :bravo:
Yeah, I still struggle a lot with garryowens, having to switch my thumb from Y to A and clicking in the thumbstick to sprint is a struggle and confuses me, but when I do get it, it's great.

Also, this game is starting to remind me a lot of Lomu. You can fend off five players with a mammoth if you time it right. The jumping looks the same (;)), and the player control is brilliant. [/b]
yeah kaf i agree with the JLR similarities

what the about the sprint button

its like lomu

hold it down, to break the line

when in space let go

as the FB gets near and ur re-charged, get on again and burn him

like JLR

:bravo: :cheers: :lol: :bleh!:

Useful thread guys, had spent hours pummelling different button combinations in a vain attempt to jump for kick-offs.

Having observed the procedure followed by the AI players, it seems that the ideal spot to position your man is towards the front of the cross that marks where the ball will land before holding down the X button (PS2 version) - I've managed to take at least one or two catches per game since discovering this (as opposed to none before).

Even so, it doesn't seem to be possible to perfom a jump 100% of the time, and trying to get into position to leap for your own side's kickoffs or up-and-unders is another matter completley - anyone managed it yet?

I've managed to catch a the ball from my own kickoff many times...

I've never manage to jump for it though...

Also, the jump doesn't work 100% of the time, but often when you press A (Xbox) you still catch it anyway most of the time (even when under pressure) which seems to be more often than when you don't press it, so maybe you're still competing for the ball.

Latest posts