• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Currie Cup Final

S

sackman

What you guys think???
Bulls at Loftus hard one to beat ??
Wilem De Waal , can he surprise them?

ive only had the chance to see one currie cup game and that happened to be the bulls...and they are star studded

i like there centre or 2nd 5?..the blond fella he has got some serious speed on him and he hits the gaps almost perfectly!

have you got the team line ups/starting teams and benches..sackman?

ill watch this after auckland win the npc final!!!!

The team: Johan Roets, Akona Ndungane, J P Nel, Wynand Olivier, Bryan Habana, Morne Steyn, Fourie du Preez, Anton Leonard (capt), Pedrie Wannenburg, Jacques Cronje, Victor Matfield, Bakkies Botha, Andries Human, Gary Botha, Kees Lensing.

Replacements: Danie Coetzee, Wessel Roux, Danie Rossouw, Johan Wasserman, Heini Adams, Derick Hougaard, Riaan van der Bergh.

Chiro your talking about Wynand Olivier, yes he is good, very good.

Havn't seen anything of this years cup
<

Here is an article from planetrugby on Willem de Waal and the final..........

"The Blue Bulls have tagged fly-half Willem de Waal as the Cheetahs' most lethal weapon when the two sides go head-to-head in the Currie Cup Final at Loftus Versfeld in Pretoria on Saturday.

In fact the Bulls utilised a considerable portion of their training time this week in working on neutralising the Cheetahs pivot, who scored all 16 his team's points in the semi-final against Western Province last week.

"We are definitely going to look at a few things to counter him," Bulls coach Heyneke Meyer told the media.

And they would be even more alarmed to hear that De Waal is relishing the opportunity to take on the Bulls in their own backyard, because he regards Loftus as one of the best venues in the country.

De Waal, acknowledging that it is never easy to win at Loftus, said he is still very excited about Saturday's Final.

"Loftus has one of the best surfaces in South Africa," he told this website. "If you kick the ball well, it will travel for 'miles'," the Cheetahs pivot said.

And he is also not in the least concerned about facing a sea of blue flags on Saturday.

"We enjoy playing in front of such a boisterous crowd," De Waal said. "You can take a lot of positives out of the situation. It is all about your attitude," he said about the vocal Bulls fans.

De Waal also felt the Cheetahs would have learnt a lot from last year's Final, also against the Bulls at Loftus, and that the players won't be overawed at all this time round.

"And we also played very well against the Bulls in our Premier Division matches this year. Those kind of performances gives us confidence coming into the Final," the fly-half said.

The matches he refers to were a 26-16 win for the Bulls at Loftus back in August, when the Cheetahs were without skipper Naka Drotske and were reduced to 14 men for more than half the match, as well as a 26-22 win in Bloemfontein last month.

The Cheetahs were reduced to 14 men twice in the game at Loftus, for 10 minutes in the first half when veteran prop Ollie le Roux was yellow carded for an off-the-ball incident. Then in the 48th minute he was red carded for foul play, which meant his team spent more than half the game (42 minutes) with just 14 men on the field.

But the biggest positive for the Cheetahs, according to De Waal, is the coaching of Rassie Erasmus - who captain the Cheetahs when they lost to the Bulls in last year's Final.

"Our game is much more structured now and everybody knows what is expected of them. Tactically we are far better prepared and better equipped than last year.

"He [Erasmus] pays a lot of attention to detail, such as the basics and our defence. He is adamant that our defence should be rock solid.

"Last year we simply conceded too many penalties and this year we are able to force the opposition into mistakes with our defence. In the play-offs - like the semi-final against Western Province last week - it is not about how many tries you score.

"You simply have to score more points than the opposition and you achieve that by making fewer mistakes than they do and stopping them from scoring."

De Waal said he is happy with his game at present, although he went through a slump earlier in the season.

"Earlier in the season my game was not up to scratch, but I'm playing much better rugby now."

Asked about the kicking game against the running game, he said the current bunch of Cheetah forwards make it much easier to employ a kicking game.

"It is always more enjoyable to play in a team when the guys know what to expect from you. The Cheetahs used to play this expansive game, running almost everything. We used to some very big scores, but often lost games as well.

"But that [expansive rugby] is not how you win a Final. You have to score more points than the opposition, even if it is just one point more. And it doesn't matter how you get those points.

"Obviously you have to find some balance between a kicking game and an expansive game, because you could kick much or run at the wrong time. But in a crucial match like this you don't take too many chances," De Waal said.

Having started his career at Western Province - having been born and bred in Paarl - he moved to the Leopards in 2002, where he played for two seasons.

He joined the Cheetahs last year and was an instant hit in Bloemfontein - kicking them to victory in both the 2004 and 2005 Currie Cup semi-finals ... ironically both times against WP at Newlands.

Last year he played for the Bulls in the Super 12, first at fullback (with limited success) before moving to fly-half where he kept Derick Hougaard out of the side.

This year he played for the Cats in the Super 12".

By Jan de Koning

Originally posted by Bull@Oct 20 2005, 06:26 PM
The team: Johan Roets, Akona Ndungane, J P Nel, Wynand Olivier, Bryan Habana, Morne Steyn, Fourie du Preez, Anton Leonard (capt), Pedrie Wannenburg, Jacques Cronje, Victor Matfield, Bakkies Botha, Andries Human, Gary Botha, Kees Lensing.

Replacements: Danie Coetzee, Wessel Roux, Danie Rossouw, Johan Wasserman, Heini Adams, Derick Hougaard, Riaan van der Bergh.

Chiro your talking about Wynand Olivier, yes he is good, very good.
yes very good!!!..compliments his outside players very well

any kiwi see the rugby channel ad for the game?..with the sth african dude?
thats kinda stupid yo....sum will see it as racist and i know thats not the case...

but wud any sth african here like to be portrayed as a fat beer belly jolly looking old fella jumpin on the spot with alcohol in one hand and a ball in the other?(excluding rassie)....

kinda stupid really....rugby channel haulz ass anywayz

ill be watching this as recovery from the auckland victory

im goin for the bullz mainly coz habana is the man!!!

GO BULLZ...BULLE KAKKE!!

Cheetahs:

15 Bevin Fortuin
14 Eddie Fredericks
13 Chris Kruger
12 Barry Goodes
11 Alwyn Hollenbach
10 Willem de Waal
9 Michael Claassens
8 Ryno van der Merwe
7 Juan Smith
6 Hendro Scholtz
5 Barend Pieterse
4 Corniel van Zyl
3 Jannie du Plessis
2 Naka Drotskè (captain)
1 Wian du Preez

Replacements: 16 Ollie le Roux, 17 CJ van der Linde, 18 Darron Nel, 19 Kabamba Floors, 20 Falie Oelschig, 21 Meyer Bosman, 22 Phillip Burger

Loftus is sold out. Lucky i have my ticket since Monday. I`ll be there supporting my beloved Cheetahs!

Rassie, win this one for us !

Last time we won Currie Cup was in 1976.

P.S: Unfortunately, no Os in this final. Damn, he`s one of those who get us here!

P.P.S: For non SA : This is a life time opportunity for you to see the best provence rugby teams in the world in action. Don`t miss it. It`s something beyond NPC or Heineken Cup. It`s pure SA rugby! It`s the best rugby in the universe!

I'm also gonna be at Loftus Rassie. I've still got one ticket that I want to sell, or I'll give it to my friend.
It's gonna be a cracker.

Wow...........will OFS finally do it!

I knew I should have kept supporting them through the season.

The upset of the year is here!

Originally posted by Bull@Oct 22 2005, 02:01 AM
GG I see you're up a bit late, and it's taking it's affect on you!:)
hahahhahhaa!!!!

I know...........

Good to see you Bull
<

If that Currie Cup side is any indication of their Super 14 team the new franchise will be very solid. More so then the Sharks and Cats (and possibly Stormers) anyway.

Congratulations to the Cheetahs. Firstly for knocking out WP in the semi's and secondly for winning this years Currie Cup. Long time between drinks.

After a good run a Currie Cups, surely the Bulls fans can't be to disheartened. It always is a sad moment when your team does lose in the final though.

We played 5 finals vs Bulls (Northern Transvaal) and we lost. Now it`s our time ! After 30 years Currie Cup is in Bloem.

I went to Loftus to see this coming. Rassie did it. I knew he`s the hero that`s why i`m honoured to bear his name as a nick here, in TRF.

I`m drunk and i won`t get sober.

Lank lewe die Boervolk !

Whites only team, whites only legends! Proud to be white, proud to be south african, proud to be an Oranje Vrystaat supporter !

Latest posts