• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Dan Carter offered $1.6 Million a year on 3 year deal by Racing

Shaggy

First XV
Country Flag
New Zealand
Club or Nation
New Zealand
Who knows what Dan Carter's post World Cup plans are, but this is a huge offer from Racing, as reported by the Sydney Morning Herald

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...ter-scores-48m-paris-deal-20110402-1cscw.html

Take the money and run: Carter scores $4.8m Paris deal
David Long
April 3, 2011

ALL BLACKS superstar Dan Carter has been offered $1.6 million a season to play for top French club Racing Metro.

The offer is believed to be for three years. At $4.8 million, it would be the world's richest rugby contract.

The Paris club's multi-millionaire owner, Jacky Lorenzetti, is determined to turn Racing Metro into the giants of European rugby. He plans to use Carter to achieve his dream.

The deal works out at about $31,000 a week for the planet's best player, financially setting up the 29-year-old for life.

Racing Metro's offer dwarfs the take-it-or-leave-it $1.1 million offered by Perpignan. Carter played for that club during his short sabbatical in 2008, cut short when he snapped his Achilles tendon after just five games.

Perpignan's president, Paul Goze, said during the week: ''I have made a maximum offer. It's a maximum I can go up to. If there are higher offers from other clubs, we will not follow them.''

Toulouse are also still in the hunt for Carter, along with English clubs Bath, Saracens and Northampton. But Toulon owner Mourad Boudjellal has not entered the battle, believing the price is too high.

Last September, Boudjellal said: ''Is this reasonable - €1.2 million [$1.6 million] for Dan Carter a season for a three-year contract? Everyone is put off by that price. In the current climate of rugby, this has crossed the line.''

But that's obviously not the case for Lorenzetti, who is also in the process of building a new stadium for the club with a capacity of 40,000, compared to the current stadium's maximum 14,000.

In an interview to be published in Midi Olympique, France's top rugby magazine, Lorenzetti says he's after Carter especially as the team's other first-five, Argentinian ace Juan Martin Hernandez, is out with a long-term injury.

''Daniel Carter, why not?'' Lorenzetti said. ''With the injury to Juan Martin Hernandez, we have an opening at the moment.''

While the money offered to Crusaders sensation Carter will be the biggest contract yet, it won't make him the game's top earner.

French hardman and cult hero Sebastien Chabal, who also plays for Racing Metro, pulls in a cool $2.7 million a year. But only $465,000 of that is from his club contract - the rest comes from advertising contracts.

Carter is one of a number of high-profile All Blacks yet to re-sign for next season. The others include captain Richie McCaw, Ma'a Nonu, Liam Messam, Josevata Rokocoko, Brad Thorn, Jimmy Cowan, Sonny Bill Williams, Cory Jane and Mils Muliaina.

It is understood that players have been advised by the NZRU to sort out their playing futures before the Tri Nations gets under way in July.

NZRU executive Neil Sorensen said the union was in negotiations with a number of players and that it hoped to make some announcements soon.

The Australian Rugby Union has been quicker in retaining top talent.

So won't be earning that much then :lol:

It will be hard not to go. He almost won everything there is to win.
Hopefully this time he will stay injury free.

He would be silly not to go,and im sure if he goes a few others would certainly follow. McCaw should go too he done it all. Messem should go he won't make the AB's loose forwards with Todd on the rise and Mils knows time is not on his side,Joe Rokz already said if he don't make the AB's he's off.Ma'a and SBW the two who fighting for the no.12 spot what if they both go lol.SBW wants to go back to league and would take the cash to go Europe if Carter is not in NZ.

This is for the NH guys what team would benefit from having Nonu?

Last edited:
He would be silly not to go,and im sure if he goes a few others would certainly follow. McCaw should go too he done it all. Messem should go he won't make the AB's loose forwards with Todd on the rise and Mils knows time is not on his side,Joe Rokz already said if he don't make the AB's he's off.Ma'a and SBW the two who fighting for the no.12 spot what if they both go lol.SBW wants to go back to league and would take the cash to go Europe if Carter is not in NZ.

This is for the NH guys what team would benefit from having Nonu?

Plenty of teams could benefit. I actually would love to see him replace D'Arcy at Leinster, just for the irony, or even head to Munster.

Meh.

Carter is fine.

Messam is too soft to play in the north. Mils is past it, as is Roks.

Nonu would be alright I guess...Jauzion is on his last leg, Toulouse might be interested.

Messam, will hang around for a couple more seasons I reckon.

Messam too soft to play in the north now? Did Sione Lauaki learn how to be a grafter in the plane ride over?
Not too sure about Joe being past it just yet either.

Pah, piffling peanuts! Yaya makes that in a week and a half!! :p

Messam too soft to play in the north now? Did Sione Lauaki learn how to be a grafter in the plane ride over?
Not too sure about Joe being past it just yet either.

Yeah, he's a bit too much of a pretty boy. There's not much running with the ball up north, or tries for that matter as we are often duly reminded by our SH posters...

Sione Lauaki is doing alright, nothing more.

From a financial point of view, Roks is past it. He's not a good investment any more. I think this logic stinks, but there you go.

Yeah, he's a bit too much of a pretty boy. There's not much running with the ball up north, or tries for that matter as we are often duly reminded by our SH posters...

Sione Lauaki is doing alright, nothing more.

From a financial point of view, Roks is past it. He's not a good investment any more. I think this logic stinks, but there you go.

I think you should watch Messam more closely next opportunity. He can run the ball but thats by no means his only skill.

Advice taken, I'll watch him more closely. Although you have to admit the Chiefs are cetainly a team that run the ball a lot. I just don't see him delivering in the trench warfare/win ugly rugby we (mostly) play in Europe.

Advice taken, I'll watch him more closely. Although you have to admit the Chiefs are cetainly a team that run the ball a lot. I just don't see him delivering in the trench warfare/win ugly rugby we (mostly) play in Europe.

More closely... jeez i should go to bed. Anyway i think you would be pleasantly suprised by Messam if he showed up at Toulouse. His defense is really quite underrated, a couple of seasons ago he topped the NZ Super 14 stats for tackles made, tackles made/tackles missed percentage and pilfers. Thats the reason why the AB coaches have it in their head that he can cover 7 even though he hasn't really played there before.

I really think Messam could offer alot in Europe.. hes an intense character on the field who really throws himself into everything. I can understand reservations you would have with pretty boy forwards but i don't think hes one of them. He reminds me of Chris Masoe actually.

Messam is a really good player. it's just the Chiefs who struggle a bit this season.

I enjoy the thought of Nonu signing for Leicester! 12. Nonu, 13, Tuilagi, M. 14. Tuilagi, A. 15. Hamilton. Thats a pretty big backline

Messam's Future and Vito's Future are directly linked in my opinion. Post RWC - I can imagine McCaw sticking to Crusaders but retiring from All Blacks. Matt Todd to take his place. Post RWC 5 loosies = Kaino, Read, Todd, Thomson + Vito / Messam

Carter would be foolish not to take it. Chabal is current highest paid player with 450000Euros per annum. Carters offered salary dwarfs the Cavemans, imagine Hernandez and Carter in the same team, sick or what ey?

Yeah, and before I heard about it I planned to attempt some RM92 games next year. Sweet

Latest posts