• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Dane Coles out indefinitely with concussion. Who are the suitable replacements?

Ground We Won

Academy Player
Country Flag
New Zealand
It's a real possibility he will not play the Lions series, having symptoms of concussion, very similar to Charlie Nagtai.

If he's ruled out who will be his replacement? Taylor will obviously start, but who do you want on the bank?

I think it depends on how Harris goes.

I don't think it's a given that Taylor would start, Harris has been the preferred hooked when fit.

Yip, harris is back playing this week. He was playing brilliantly before injury, a different type of player to coles but IMO just as good. That is saying a lot, by that I mean he is world class.
If Harris comes back good he can potentially slot ahead of Taylor in the pecking order and IMO that would be the best case scenario for the AB's.
Then there is Taylor, in good form solid all round.
Then Coltman who ha been a very strong hooker for some time and is more consistent now. Probably had question marks over his throwing for a while but that seems to have improved.
Parsons is a solid experienced guy who is a good choice in injury situations.
Riccitelli as a bit of a bolter but a lions series isn't really the place to debut a young ~22 year old hooker. He has been very impressive, quick and tireless. Almost fearless in the way he plays and his intensity.
Hika Elliot I think would thrive given the chance but it seems he is out of favor with selectors because of something he did way back around 2010

Definitely a massive loss if he is indeed out, he's probably our most irreplaceable guy other than our locks.
I think Taylor's obviously a shoe-in and will probs start.
A lot depends on Harris for the other posi.... if he's up to speed in the next few weeks then he'll presumably be there, probably as Taylor's back up. I think Taylor deserves to start, he's a quality, robust player, has done his time and has been consistent. Harris may start ahead of him, but that's unlikely imo. He'd have to make a real big impression in his return. If Coles is indeed out of the series, then that 2rd spot is wide open for either Coltman, Parsons, Ricitelli or maybe even Dixon (who's now back from injury and will probs take Coltman's starting Landers spot) or Funnel (who's also been impressive.
I think Coltman is the most likely choice, but I'd personally prefer that they blooded Ricitelli.

interesting stat popped up in the chiefs game, hika Elliot's line out throwing is at about 93% and 2nd best in the comp, I do think he is undervalued. Seems to have been discarded since that 2010 indecent.
Watching the canes I've changed my mind on Ricitelli, great prospect but not at all ready. Some of his core skills and rucks & Mauls etc need a lot of work.
losing Coles would be a shame but I think the reality is with Harris, Taylor, Coltman and Parsons we have a lot of depth and wont suffer much.

yip, and the bad thing about concussion issues is that usually it means the players cant really train...

Yea, and in Coles' case he definitely can't train, as apparently his symptoms are specifically brought about by exercise.

I really think Taylor has cemented the starting spot if Dane doesn't return in time. He's had a great season and has a real chemistry with the tight 5. Retallick will basically be the only one who he doesn't player Super Rugby with.

That is great news! But then again, we've heard it before, so I won't get my hopes up.

Should be back, but I think they need to bring back rucking and tone down the cleaning out. Rucking was far less dangerous than cleaning out, all these concussion coming from huge hits while players are in and around the breakdown.

Should be back, but I think they need to bring back rucking and tone down the cleaning out. Rucking was far less dangerous than cleaning out, all these concussion coming from huge hits while players are in and around the breakdown.
fully agree, but to prevent these injuries you need people not to have their head down at ruck time, which means you need to use the rules we experimented with domestically and no-one liked. in other words you need to only be allowed to pick up the ball if you're tema has driven over the ball, hence making the ball out of the ruck.

Latest posts