• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Daniel Carter out for up to 8 weeks.

As far as ITM goes McAllistair is not outstanding in his 2nd 5/8th position. His highlight so far is a 63m kick at goal other then that he's honestly been quiet. He's a good player but at the moment 2nd fives Stephen Brett and Marshall from Tasman are the hot 2nd fives in NZ at the moment IMO.

As for Carters replacement I think Cruden is more then capable and wont let anybody down. Weepu could possibly cover there also. In the ITM there's some good 1st fives in Bayden Kerr, Robbie Robertson, Colin Slade, Faatonu Fili, James Marshall and Matt Berquist.

Interestingly the fact that Carter was going to be out was hinted at last week, when in an interview Henry stated that Cruden would start a test match 'sooner rather than later'. It was assumed that Carter would be rested, but obviously they have been planning for Carter to get this surgery for some time.

It will be a great chance for Cruden to show what he has at this level. Obviuosly Weepu will start alongside him (and do the goalkicking) - his familiarity with Weepu will certainly help him out. I'm assuming (or at least certainly hoping) Slade will be brought into the squad, as I think he's got the right skills for test rugby. Though I think Brett has improved, I still think he's a bit error prone for test rugby, while MacAlister is only playing ok at 12 but is nowhere near as effective at 10. If they wanted to stay within the squad they could use Weepu to cover 10, but I'd much rather he concentrate on halfback at the moment, as he's been playing really well their lately.

Interestingly Donald and Delany are ment to be back within the next month. I'm not that excited about Donald being back, but will be watching Delany closely, as I rate him as the second best first-five in the country. He won't be available for the match versus Australia, but hopefully will be available for the end of year tour (assuming he gets a few games under his belt).

As far as ITM goes McAllistair is not outstanding in his 2nd 5/8th position. His highlight so far is a 63m kick at goal other then that he's honestly been quiet. He's a good player but at the moment 2nd fives Stephen Brett and Marshall from Tasman are the hot 2nd fives in NZ at the moment IMO.

As for Carters replacement I think Cruden is more then capable and wont let anybody down. Weepu could possibly cover there also. In the ITM there's some good 1st fives in Bayden Kerr, Robbie Robertson, Colin Slade, Faatonu Fili, James Marshall and Matt Berquist.

Fili's good. he should have been managed better as a young player now hes in-eligable. Out of all those 10's Colin Slade is the only player that will get picked.

Yes, it will be interesting who they choose as backup to Cruden ... I wonder if they will take Carter on the end of year tour, I know he's only out for 8 weeks, but maybe they'll take the next two best instead, and give him a rest

Yes, it will be interesting who they choose as backup to Cruden ... I wonder if they will take Carter on the end of year tour, I know he's only out for 8 weeks, but maybe they'll take the next two best instead, and give him a rest

He said in an article today in the herald that hes doing the surgery so he can make the tour so should be sweet. But they could take 3 10's ?

Fili's good. he should have been managed better as a young player now hes in-eligable.

I've always like Fili ever since he played 7s for Samoa. I didnt know he was in-eligable for the ABs. Everytime he plays for Wellington he's always been better then your average. He likes to play like a magician when feeding his backline (i.e no look pass) just like other Rugby magicians Spencer, Benji Marshall and Cooper. I wonder who his manager was?

yeah and i read somewhere that by the time the world cup comes along, Cruden will have alot of experience under his belt, his skills would have picked up and he would be like another Daniel Carter. So they could pick either Carter or Cruden at times.

Apparently according to Evan's he wasn't even approached to come back, which seems to me to be idiocy considering the effort the NZRU put in to try and get SBW.

He (Evans) was good when he'd come on for Carter. I cant believe he wasnt approached. Surely they've been keeping an eye on him like they did with McAllistair and SBW. I was a big fan of Nick Evans I wonder if he's still good...

Ahhh just read an article on Nick returning for the ABs, dont know whom is telling the truth..
http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/rugby/3751561/Evans-denies-NZRU-World-Cup-offer

Last edited:
Yep,Nick's a good player - he's almost 30 now though ... perhaps they are looking long term with the likes of Cruden etc

if McAllister isn't viable then i'd go with Slade. He's strong defensively, has a decent kicking game and supposedly the fastest in the crusaders team lol so he has a running game.

i have full confidence in Cruden, he will become a very outstanding player in the years to come

i have full confidence in Cruden, he will become a very outstanding player in the years to come

He will. Just wanna bring up something, Julian Savea is looking like he will go on to be one of the great NZ wingers. Who else has seen him/agree?/disagree?

Sad to hear, but this AB side is so dangerous that Aus will have difficulties beating them anyway.
Would be good to see McAlister back

He will. Just wanna bring up something, Julian Savea is looking like he will go on to be one of the great NZ wingers. Who else has seen him/agree?/disagree?

He certainly has the potential to be a great winger. He does need to work on a few aspects of the game - his handling, and defense certainly need work - but he is a very lethal attacking player. Next years RWC may be a year too soon for him, but I'd expect him to be in the AB's within the next few years.

http://nz.sports.yahoo.com/rugby/news/article/-/7804315/black-carter-needs-ankle-surgery-weeks

Two things come to mind here.
1. Crap, Daniel Carter is out. That means Cruden will be donning the 10 jersey against Australia, which seriously jepordizes our chances of going unbeaten in the Tri Nations (and I so do want that)
2. Yay, Daniel Carter is out. Now Aaron Cruden can get a bit more game time against the top sides, which will put us in good stead for the RWC.
Geez, could he not have been injured a week before, together with Richie? :p. I think Carter should have been rested after last Saturday in any case (with the 3N secured). Other than Cruden, who's in line to play at 10 - Could be an area of concern for New Zealand leading up to the World Cup. That and cover for McCaw as well?

Geez, could he not have been injured a week before, together with Richie? :p. I think Carter should have been rested after last Saturday in any case (with the 3N secured). Other than Cruden, who's in line to play at 10 - Could be an area of concern for New Zealand leading up to the World Cup. That and cover for McCaw as well?
True.

I've thought Latimer & Braid should be the incumbents. Also Adam Thomson is thought as one of the better fetchers in the country, but plays blindside (and is currently out of favour).

I'd like to see Latimer & Thomson be truly cemented as heirs to the No 7, until a more long-term option appears.

The number 10 option seems less dire, though no clear contenders appear. Granted, many are talented (Slade, Cruden, and even Robbie Robinson) - but many are yet to assert themselves.

I think this is the double-edged sword of the 'rotation' policy - players (for development) are given less chance at early stages to gain valuable experience.

He was injured, just decided to have the surgery now. So you could say why couldn't he have been at full fitness, perhaps wouldn't have needed the late tries

First five ain't that bad. Weepus got the game to make it as a first five, Cruden, Slade, Delany, McAlistar. Cruden needs to eat more though.

As far as the evening news goes in NZ it seems to point at Luke McAllistair being the man to relieve Dan Carter..

Not really. Last night TV3 news were saying it was Cruden's chance to shine while McAllister looks to be taking his place on the bench.

Latest posts