• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

David Hill

H

harrison2468

How good is he, my SH friends? What are his strengths and weaknesses? How has he faired this season for the Chiefs?

Got injured early, sat out most of S14 even when fit. When he was actually selected Chiefs played their best of the season. Good punter, tactician, goal kicker and playmaker, just a little suspect defensively. Not afraid to take it to the line either being about 100kg.

He's got a cool kicking style as well.... He was our best goalkicker percentagewise this year I think. I've always liked David Hill. He's very consistant.

I was always a Glen Jackson fan, so while I thought David Hill was ok I didn't really like him that much.

However, that changed this season when the alternative was Donald, I suddenly liked Hill a lot more.

I've always found him average. He plays consistantly decent, but has no x-factor or brilliance. He's a player that you could always tell would never be an All Black.

Hill as stated above missed most of the start of the Super 14 due to injury.
He made a few appearances at 12 outside Donald (which proved to be a good combination).

Overall attributes... good off loader, good line breaker, very good tactical kicker, good goal kicker and an average defence (sorry - more an unproven defence).

The thing that is missing is play making, he has shown in the limited games that he plays that he adds an exciting element to the number 10 jersey - more often than not taking the ball from set play mobile and not flat footed and ready to attack the line. At 28 maybe his time is running out to be an international.

It was a major shame for him not to play a complete season for the Chiefs this year as he might have had a long shot for the All Blacks in the internationals leading up to the Tri Nations (due to Nick Evans possibly being out with injury).

Compared to other 1st5's in NZ, he's no Carter or McAlister, maybe rated under Evans but he's a long way ahead of Lavea.

Lavea isn't the 5th best Fly Half in the country.

Gopperth for a start is much better and should be ranked along side Evans.. and players like McIntyre and Ellison are both young and have shown flashes of brillance, I would rather see MacDonald play 10 for us again then see Lavea in Black.

Originally posted by Serge@May 21 2006, 02:29 PM
I've always found him average. He plays consistantly decent, but has no x-factor or brilliance. He's a player that you could always tell would never be an All Black.
...he's already been an All Black...

Originally posted by Ripper@May 21 2006, 07:42 PM
Lavea isn't the 5th best Fly Half in the country.

Gopperth for a start is much better and should be ranked along side Evans.. and players like McIntyre and Ellison are both young and have shown flashes of brillance, I would rather see MacDonald play 10 for us again then see Lavea in Black.
Isn't mcintyre like 25 or 26?

i really like hill...has a very powerful boot..he can play 10,12 and centre and hes a really big playmaker so when he is running at the line between the 10 and the halfback he can make some nasty gaps and open the outside runners...

overall..very very solid..makes the occasional big hit but defence is pretty average,but hes a 10 so what you expect?..at 12 and inside a great defending centre and a well balanced 10..he can get his job done with ease

Originally posted by rc_souljah+May 21 2006, 08:11 PM-->
<!--QuoteBegin-Serge
@May 21 2006, 02:29 PM
...he's already been an All Black... [/b]
He has never played a test. That doesn't deserve to be called an All Black if you ask me.

Ahhh yes another southland player being taken from us to the bigger clubs no wonder southland does not do very well every half decent player they get these bigger provinces grab them canterbury(Justin marshall, Corey flynn) Wellington(Ben herring) Waikato(David Hill) We could of had Mils but auckland got him Otago(Jeff wilson, Paul miller(2 seasons and played for the cheifs).

And i am sure there are other southlanders than could name a few more

Originally posted by Candyman@May 22 2006, 11:52 PM
Wellington(Ben herring)
You can have him back if you want we didnt even need him when we signed him and i we only did bcoz he carved Wellington up in one game, hasnt realy played that much rugby since coming up here always seems to be injured.

Plus he's from Otago, just played for Southland. You can add to that Luke Andrews, Steve Jackson and David Hill.

The others were actually born or lived here.

Originally posted by dobrien7@May 24 2006, 11:30 AM
Plus he's from Otago, just played for Southland. You can add to that Luke Andrews, Steve Jackson and David Hill.

The others were actually born or lived here.
Yes that is true but he only got noticed when he played for southland its like every decent player that southland either aquires or is born and bred here gets snapped up by these bigger name provinces.

I hope this new New Zealand cup stops any of this or it doesn't happen as often

I can see it stopping the poaching with most of the top 2nd div teams in the top comp.It will be really great seeing the non top 5 teams becoming stronger.

Originally posted by All_Blacks_Hurricanes_Lions_Fan@May 24 2006, 07:43 PM
I can see it stopping the poaching with most of the top 2nd div teams in the top comp.It will be really great seeing the non top 5 teams becoming stronger.
Yes i totally agree with ya dude with these other teams in it and the salary cap it will be great i mean its already happening look at rico gear playing for nelson bays i know its only so he can play for the crusaders but he went to a div 2 team so he could.

You should see how it has affected the Wellington club rugby scene one club has lost 21 of there 22 top 22 players heaps of players have left to play for HB,H-kapiti and Manuwatu etc but anyway if it makes the comp stronger than im all for it. im also glad to see Justin Wilson has signed with HB maybe he will get some game time now.

Latest posts