Originally posted by BigTen@Sep 14 2005, 10:47 PM
Ha-ha I was just joking. One thing that I really dislike about rugby 2k5 and that is the lack of tactics. I mean even rugby2k4 had the option of backs, forward or mixed. The next version simply must have the option of adjusting strategy and tactics.
Another thing that I want is the ability to do draw passes. By this I mean holding down the pass button will result in the selected intended recipient of the pass starts running into the gap. Get the timing right and the player will break the line. Too late and the pass is forward or the passer gets smashed by the defence and too early and the player receives a hospital pass or has no where to go.
Being able to adjust tactics would certainly add a bit more playability to the game. Not that I am knocking it totally - it is still the best rugby game out there but it has some way to go until being the real deal.
It's a better game the more you play it after you have played it beyond when you didn't like it...if that makes sense...does to me as has worked exactly that way.
- Put 90 players into the relevant teams - by this stage you will have probably two, maybe three main stayer tournaments you go to regularly....for me it is the super 12 and the world cup...
I have thus pumped up and filled the gaps/put the strongest teams out for the Crusaders, Bulls, Chiefs, Highlanders, Stormers, Blues and ACT.....Then I play as the Hurricanes who are normal...me and my friend have created each other with medium stats and play on either wing - we convene once a wekk and play co-op against the cpu on a world cup or a super 12....needless to say he has slowly got up to scratch in terms of the level the game is now being played at.....
In our last super 12 tournament we lost to the crusaders in the final with a heartbreaking late 50 metre try to Koonwayoo (99,100,99 etc) who clean stepped the fullback....if you don't know what I am talking about, it is cos you haven't carefully and meticulously edited/created the necessary means to more or less create a brand new game. Trust me.
Needless to say all quarter final worthy rugby sides have been pumped up as well (ox, wales, england, oz, sa etc etc) but NOT new zealand b/c that's who we play with of course......you see!?
if you are a serious gamer and you love sports games - this game can go to new heights after intensive training and experimentation:
- box kick from half back to winger on the blind...regather.....right analogue step inside of fullback under the post...
or this little beauty from our 2player semi against the Chiefs (a team we frequently lose to - pumped up Lauaki, pumped up Siti slicker, pumped up Hill, then the likes of randle etc to round it out)... bear in mind that these thigs are more or less regarded as impossible because perseverence and training are not the cornerstone of many gamers diets to be fair (their loss) =
We perform a double cut inside our own 22 which sends my mate (literally him) through the line on a straight angled run, breaking into the backfield he puts through a punt with deft timing so that I (literally) am sent into a 70 metre side by side sprint down the touchline with Tagicakibau......we just burned side by side down after the ball as it bounced to and fro - we scream down into the ingoal as the dead ball chalk beckons...and yes it goes across the dead ball line.....
.....in my chest.
- one try resulted in more than 25 passes being executed according to a younger onlooker.....
I know all that sounds wanky etc and I can honestly say I don't give a flying f***eroo! It's the truth and I am confortable saying it. The game is better than anyone gives it credit for for the simple reason that most people don't put in 90 players and then improve the opposition and themselves in terms of game skill to a point where they can actually get what they wanted out of the game. I have played 600 games of it probably...and only NOW can I play rugby and truly enjoy it. Why? Becos all the things you always were angry about in this game are not an issue anymore:
There are now:
- occasional pop balls
- short balls
- cuts through the line
- many grubbers, regathers, bombs, bombs and regathers in the ingoal
- retrieving of kicks on the full even whilst controlling the player and all moves being chosen correctly from ruck and maul and scrum allowing both the game and the ai to behave morew normally.
- wingers go for the kill and don't run infield anymore than you do - why? becos the ai recognises that they are now quick enough, big and bad enough and skilled enough to take you on....the ai was for a lack of a better explanation essentially just too scared to take you on before. I have seen cpu players run in 50 metre plus individual tries through defensive screens that had seemed impenetrable.
- turnovers at the ruck and maul when isolated with out being penalised almost exactly like real rugby should work - the system you all complain about not being in the game....IS in the game.
- Using all three line-out jumpers, getting much needed turnover ball at scrums by twisting or by jamming it in there etc etc etc.....
- the skillful and useful and entierely realistic use of the soccerkick button in broken play.....something that CAN happen once you take the game to extremes....late in games against weak opposition we score tries that we have to pause and just laugh about for a while before resuming.
- skillful interchange of longballs, pre passes (which work well) and short balls (can choose to be runner in support and change lines to score realistic tries that you wish you could save somewhwre they are so magical and previously unseen on this game) in combination to unlock defences etc......That centre gap against the level of skill in the backlines we face would be suicidal (you need great moves and support play to unlock them only)....you run sideways and angle and you can expect to cut in half, driven back or cough up and turn over the ball...if not all three.
But no, no you are right - rugby 2005 sucks...
- after 100 or so games (20 minute games I am referring to when I say 600+ I have played) and no editing it sucks....otherwise I believe people who say it still sucks after doing what I suggest don't seem to be too common round these parts. And bugger PC mods...I don't mean that...I mean 90 edited/ created players and a reselction of the important teams and a friend with above average hand to eye co-ordination who can see outside the square and learn fast is all you need.
Rugby 2005 is now for me after 600 games+....an 8.5/10 game.
Put that in ya pipe, cos I want what you're already smoking.