• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Do you ever see 7s overtaking 15s

Do you ever see 7s becoming more popular or just as popular than 15s? I know it is too short but what if it is played instead of two halves played with 4 quarters like american football
7 minute quarters with 3 minute breaks between quarters and 7 minute half times

I'll give you a clue... I'm an keen All Blacks supporter; Given a little time (and without research) , I could list every member of the current All Blacks squad. However,the only members of the current sevens squad I could list without research are DJ Forbes, Sherwin Stowers, Gillies Kaka and Tim Mickelson.

My total exposure to Sevens consists almost entirely of try highlights in the Sport News on TV1.

Speaking from the American prospective, I would have to disagree with a lot of people that don't think 7s will (if they already haven't "taken over") the hype of the sport in the US. However, With the NRFL coming out this fall in Philly... I question myself. Especially when we have big NFL characters coming to play the game. It may bring a lot more attention then it gets today. But the main factor is which game makes more money? I wrote an article about why rugby is so unpopular in America... And I still believe these are the reasons we have to overcome if we want to blow up this sport (because it's clearly the best sport in the world:)

WHy is Rugby so unpopular in America? http://www.americanrugbyworld.com/why-is-american-rugby-so-unpopular/

Last edited:
tricky one its like comparing a bass guitar to a lead guitar (expressing differences) , well it depends how well it goes at the olympics, but it will be much harder for it to overtake XVs in places it's hugely popular.

I love the 7's but it will never take over from the 15 man game. Watching the SA 7's at the moment, NZ 12-5 Samoa We HAVE to win this game to be in the cup.:(

- - - Updated - - -

We won!!:D

A rule change I would like to see is quick taps removed from the the 7s game. Being 7 aside the attacking team is already advantaged. I hate seeing a quick tap taken and a try scored so easily from it, looks very cheap. I wouldn't mind if the game is slowed down a bit because of it. It is a better spectacle when a defensive line penetrated with fast, skillful, powerful players and/or set moves rather than a quick tap and go. It is fine in the 15s game because there isn't as many gaps, but in 7s its almost criminal.

A rule change I would like to see is quick taps removed from the the 7s game. Being 7 aside the attacking team is already advantaged. I hate seeing a quick tap taken and a try scored so easily from it, looks very cheap. I wouldn't mind if the game is slowed down a bit because of it. It is a better spectacle when a defensive line penetrated with fast, skillful, powerful players and/or set moves rather than a quick tap and go. It is fine in the 15s game because there isn't as many gaps, but in 7s its almost criminal.

Yeah, can't but agree.

This is like the t20's and the one day internationals scenario. But no for me. I loved watching the Cape Town 7's. France again failed. :(
Their rugby is in serious need of repair.