• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Does anyone know how to start a community team?

bethanator

Academy Player
Country Flag
United States
Club or Nation
Ireland
A good friend of mine has told me he and a rather large group of friends want to start a rugby team where they live, because there aren't any. One like the NKY Grubs or the Richmond Exiles. He asked if I knew how to help and if I knew if they had to have a coach because they don't want one and a bunch of other things, but I play for a college so I have no idea at all. Does anyone know what he would have to do to be like, I guess "legal" and be eligible to play other community or school teams? It would be much appreciated!

Also, we're American, if that makes a difference or anything.

My club (in Southern Ontario) started about ten years ago. A bunch of the guys graduated high school and didn't want to have to drive to play in one of the cities. So they just got enough guys together and started calling different clubs asking for friendlies. Sometimes other clubs want to play more games, or have a lot of guys who don't always get to play when its competitive league play.

So they did that for a season, then the next year they asked the local rugby union if they could join the league. You don't "need" an official coach, but you'll probably need to form an organization with a president and treasurer and stuff like that.

My club (in Southern Ontario) started about ten years ago. A bunch of the guys graduated high school and didn't want to have to drive to play in one of the cities. So they just got enough guys together and started calling different clubs asking for friendlies. Sometimes other clubs want to play more games, or have a lot of guys who don't always get to play when its competitive league play.

So they did that for a season, then the next year they asked the local rugby union if they could join the league. You don't "need" an official coach, but you'll probably need to form an organization with a president and treasurer and stuff like that.

Awesome, thanks for your help man! They don't want to have to drive hours away just for practice, usp thanks again

I started my own cricket club about three years ago. Setting up a club is the same for every sport.
You do need a structure on paper and ask the Union in your area if they could help you out with insurance.

then you look for a field of play, get a code of conduct on the table and clear guidelines and rules.
The first year you play friendlies and if that's a success you can think of joining a league. This is quiet costly so try to get as much info as possible so you know how this move might impact your budget.

The Australian Sports Commission put this together for starting a club; it might be a bit more in-depth than you need, but it could help you: http://www.ausport.gov.au/supporting/clubs/resource_library/starting_a_club

This is my local club's code of conduct; they also have some of their other policies online under player info. They're 130 years old and a founding member of Sydney Suburban Rugby Union, so they must be doing something right! http://www.petershamrugby.com/player-info/policies/code-of-conduct

Latest posts