• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Dream List For Future Rugby Games

C

Canadian_Rugger

well we all have wishes for the next installment of rugby gaming but what does everyone think needs to get their more then anything else.

My list would go something like that.

1. Good free flowing rugby put into a game. Now EA is really putting the pedal to the metal with their rugby series and I think whats good is that they are starting to realize that their is a decent base for a game like this and that they could prolly make a good amount of money off this series. This is evident with the improvement of the series since 2001 and 2004. @005 was honestly the only decent rugby game I have ever seen. and with all the moaning about games sucking blahblah in all honesty it wasn't that bad of a game and yes it needs to be improved on for sure but its a good base to build off of which is what EA is doing.

SOme of you here are pretty quick to jump on EA for not putting out a "top quality product" and why can't it be more like Madden well in all honesty the madden series has been around for quite a bit longer then the rugby series and the developers are already familiar with the game and the series so the gameplay is now solid. Rugby has not reached that point yet but we eventually will. Remember the series is still in its beginning and the programmers are trying to figure out what works and what doesn't just give it time and we will see rugby blossom.

2. I would also love to see more and more licenses acquired. They have a good base right now with super 12, six nations, tri nations, Lions, A good load of National Unions and now the Guinness Premiership but I would like to see more. Celtic League, Top 14, Italian Super 10, NPC, Currie Cup you name it they should get it.

3. I'd also love to see a comprehensive dynasty mode. One where you get to bring a club up from humble beginnings and turn it into a multi million dollar money making machine.

I agree totally i would like a bit more one on one with the opponent rather than have the whole team after you

Canadian Rugger said:

"Some of you here are pretty quick to jump on EA for not putting out a "top quality product" and why can't it be more like Madden well in all honesty the madden series has been around for quite a bit longer then the rugby series and the developers are already familiar with the game and the series so the gameplay is now solid. Rugby has not reached that point yet but we eventually will. Remember the series is still in its beginning and the programmers are trying to figure out what works and what doesn't just give it time and we will see rugby blossom."

Whilst I agree with this in principle I do say this.

I'd expect big game developers to be able to piggy-back off some of the advancements made in previous sports games when they are developing a completely new series.

I found that with EA Rugby 2004 it was really hard to read some of the player's stats - maybe it was my tv or maybe it was just the dumb font that they used. I would have expected them to have used some of the technology from previous Madden games to create a more user-friendly and visually pleasing GUI.

Also the player creation was pretty lame yet they have all of the work that they had done with the Madden franchise. And don't even tell me that they are different parts of the same company. It would be far cheaper to "buy" the engine than developing a brand new one from stratch. And even if they had to start from scratch they'd be able to use the Madden one as a benchmark and work from that. No point re-inventing the wheel, right!?

I expect that the first version of a rugby game to be fairly low but the improvements made from that should be quite drastic.

I would really like to see a game with a absolutely brillaint career mode as Canadian Rugger said.

I want to see you start off as a coach of a village side and then progress up to district then county, then go through the various divisions of the nation, then lead a Premiership club then go on to a country. I would like to see you starting off managing a colts team then moving up to mens later.

I would really like to be able to set up all the training and to watch the training and give advice to all the players individually. I want to tell them what to train in the gym, how to develop their game. To bring new talent through, to send scouts to schools tournaments looking for good players.

To manage teh ground and other aspects including the clubhouse and everything. I want to eb in complete control of everything that5 happens. I want a totally realistic rugby management game.

Oh well, I suppsoe I'll have to wait for a while.

Coco

Originally posted by Coco@Dec 29 2005, 06:06 AM
I want to see you start off as a coach of a village side and then progress up to district then county, then go through the various divisions of the nation, then lead a Premiership club then go on to a country. I would like to see you starting off managing a colts team then moving up to mens later.
you know...

that kinda sounds like world league...
<

nah... coco was talking about depth in that post. cant be world league.

Originally posted by sambad5+Dec 29 2005, 10:08 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (sambad5 @ Dec 29 2005, 10:08 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Coco
@Dec 29 2005, 06:06 AM
you know...

that kinda sounds like world league...
<
[/b]
Yeah. Not really.

World League=Coach one team up the divisions.

"Coco's" "idea" (I've seen this sort of idea discussed before, so not really Coco's idea)=Start off as a coach of a low team and get promoted. So you'd end up with a coaching career rather than a team career, and coach several teams along the way.

Agree with most points so far.

I'm not going to totally rave about JLR again, but one thing I'd like to see is fending and sidestepping that has as much effect as it did in that game.

(Although maybe the fend losing it's effect after 3-4 tackles, not taking down 10-11 players).

This of course is after making your player as easy to control as he was in that game.

I don't think that anybody actually wants a "realistic" rugby management game. That is a game that accurately reflects what a modern rugby manager does. Now the reasons that I say this are quite simple:

- Most people would want to manage at an international level and as most international teams only play around ten games a year it would be pretty boring. It would not be realistic if you managed say a Super 12, or 14, team, and then some international games, and then the NPC, followed by some more international action.

- Also how many managers are actively involved in redeveloping the size and quality of the stadium? Not many, if any!

I actually want an unrealistic rugby manager game that allows me to start with a lower club (maybe second division NPC team) and then get promoted to a higher club or take the club higher and then have offers of Super 12 clubs. After that and only with success would bring international offers.

The control over player and staff selection, recruitment and retention. Being able to develop training schedules, set strategies and tactics, media interaction. Interacting with Board of Directors, club owners, fan organisations etc. Building and developing stadiums, setting up youth academies, scrum schools hahahaha, etc.

Now most of this stuff managers or coaches wouldn't really be involved but it would give us loads of stuff to do while waiting to watch the games.

Pro Rugby Manager tried to do this - and failed miserably. I got so badly burnt by this that I do not dare even consider buying Pro Rugby Manager II.

I've got Pro Rugby Manager 2 and I son't think it's all that bad. But the problems were is gets a bit repetitive after a while and it takes a long time to do stuff. I still play it occassionally, in fact I'm going to start a new season until another Rugby game comes out.

Coco

Latest posts