• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Drew Mitchell also eyeing Brumbies move

• Thread starter snoopy snoopy dog dog
  • Start date
S

snoopy snoopy dog dog

Here's a snippet:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Wallabies flyer Drew Mitchell is poised to follow Matt Giteau out the Western Force's door, heightening fears of a eastward-bound exodus from the Perth club. As the Australian Rugby Union considers how to help prevent the fledgling WA team falling apart, Mitchell and fellow hot property James O'Connor admitted Giteau's departure significantly affected their future plans.[/b]

http://www.theroar.com.au/2009/02/24/drew-...-brumbies-move/

What's going on with the Perth based team? A couple of years ago they looked to be very much on the up but now seem to be beset with coaching problems, falling attendences and a player exodus.

I hope Mitchell comes back to the Reds, doubt it though. I bet the Reds are regretting the signing of Will Chambers already.

Dear Northerners, it has a lot to do with unfulfilled monetary promises which rather than being the fault of the franchise (Western Force) it's infact that of "Firepower" which was supposed to be major sponsors and therefore top up the top player's contracts. To make a long and complicated story short, Firepower flopped because their so called miracle product was complete shite and as a result numerous professional sporting entities including rugby players and basketballers suffered.

Matt Giteau has missed out on figures well in to the 6 digits which as you could imagine has made him quite unhappy, however he has been loyal and didn't leave immediately (I think this was uncovered at the conclusion of 2007 or perhaps start of 2008).

The Force may now take advantage of the new 'marquee player' system the ARU has introduced and shop around outside Australia for a new flyhalf...

There's been a lot of talk that James O'Connor may fill the flyhalf void left by Giteau... he's incredible at inside centre but I think putting him into the playmaker position so young won't help his game...

I've been critical of Drew Mitchell in the past but since the World Cup has been slowly developing and I'd be happy to see him at the Brumbies, and he could relish having guys like Giteau, Mortlock and Ashley-Cooper inside of him... setting him up for tries...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jer1cho @ Feb 24 2009, 01:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Fushitsusha @ Feb 24 2009, 02:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
and he could relish having guys like Giteau, Mortlock and Ashley-Cooper inside of him...[/b]
:eek:
[/b][/quote]

:lol:

Back to transfer speculations... Sam Norton-Knight looks to be joining the Cardiff Blues next season so the Tahs are trying to woo Mitchell with a vacant fullback position...

As much as Mitchell has this idea in his head that fullback is his best position - it's not... stick to the wing buddy...

I'm sorry but James O'Connor doesn't yet deserve to be able to just swap teams willynilly, he is not yet an old hand at Super 14 and should be grateful he got signed in the first place.

Now that the money is starting to dry up the Force are having a cry and want to push for a player draft...

I have to side with my man Andrew Fagan here -

No need to draft players: Brumbies

The Western Force might need to pack its own violins for its trip to Canberra this week, because there is little sympathy for its plight from the ACT Brumbies.

Matt Giteau's defection from the Force to the Brumbies next season has sparked complaints from Perth that it has it harder than Australia's other provinces when it comes to player recruitment and retention.

The Australian Rugby Union will meet with the Rugby Union Players Association to discuss measures, including the possibility of a player draft, to shore up the Force.

But Brumbies chief executive Andrew Fagan, who also has his sights set on recruiting Force and Wallabies fullback Drew Mitchell, said there was no reason to change the contracting protocols governing Australian Super 14 teams.

"Everyone loses a few players from time to time, we lost Matt Giteau once, remember?" Fagan said. "We've all gone through periods where we've lost high-profile players and therefore you know the rest of your squad is under pressure because they may want to play with them.

"I didn't see Queensland calling for a draft when they lost players to the Force and we didn't call for one when we had a significant number of retirements and were down a little bit on personnel.

"I think the current system works fine."

With Giteau already gone and Mitchell and fellow young Wallaby James O'Connor attracting strong interest from rival provinces, the Force believes it will struggle to lure quality replacements to Perth, particularly with third-party agreements becoming increasingly difficult to come by.

The suggestion mooted this week to help prop up Australia's newest province is a draft model similar to the one used by the AFL, ensuring no one team has a monopoly on the country's best players.

Senior ARU manager Peter Friend and RUPA boss Tony Dempsey will discuss that and other potential options at a meeting this week.

Fagan said with only four Australian-based provinces there was no need for changes to the current system.

"We've only got four teams in the competition and that means there's only 60 starting spots. That sort of forces players to move because players want opportunity.

"In order to play for the Wallabies players wanted to be sure they're somewhere in the 22 each week and therefore they will move to guarantee themselves that opportunity.

"If we had six or seven teams in a competition then you might need to look at other mechanisms that ensure you've got a spread of players, but as things stand at the moment I don't see that is such a critical issue."

Giteau's defection is sure to add spice to the Brumbies' clash with the Force at Canberra Stadium on Saturday.

http://www.rugbyheaven.com.au/news/news/no...5237698097.html

Player draft is the stupidest idea I've heard. Where is the loyalty in S14? We don't even have a salary cap so players aren't forced to move like they are in NRL yet players are switching clubs too much for money.

Mitchell has now come out saying that clubs shouldn't be able to sign up players during the season...

So basically the Force are having a big cry because all the things they did a couple of years ago has come back to bite them on the ass... tough luck I say...

If Mitchell goes then all the best to him. I think its more likely he will go to the waratahs if any place. Would be sad to see him go but hey at least Cam Shepherd is still floating around. Much better fullback imho. Nick Cummins is really stepping up on the wing and home grown west ozzie Haylett-Petty is pretty much a replica of cam shepherd in his skillset and physical attributes.....in time, wait till u see this guy run.

Brumbies backline even with gits is ****. mediocre halfback, aging centre in mortlock, most overated utility back in in oz in ashley cooper, who else is there.......rathbone and gerrard, both of whom i like but feel even rathbone may never be the same player he was before his horror run of injuries. He was great in his prime. Looks to have slimmed down a fair bit....dunno if thats a good thing.

Haj, I know that the Force beat the Brumbies on the weekend but you can't honestly believe what you just typed?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Haj @ Mar 1 2009, 11:33 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Whatever.

As I stated in the other thread... the Brumbies have an excellent backline but a flyhalf who is failling to distribute good ball.

Running sideways and throwing passes behind Mortlock isn't going to ignite any decent attacking play.

Mortlock may be aging but he's still one of the best centres in the world. As for Ashley-Cooper - one of the best backline players in the country. Unfortunately he was wasted at fullback by Deans, and he's getting no decent ball now.

I know you're on a smug high from your team winning but you shouldn't go flipping off put downs to class players because their team isn't gelling.

Yeah i am pretty smug atm but its all tongue in cheek. I actually predicted the brumbies to be the best performing ozzie team for 2009 and still think so. ill be much worse if we can scrape a win against the tahs.

Mortlock is great and is wasted at inside centre. My concern is his bash and crash style of play( which i think is fantastic) makes him pretty injury prone over an entire s14 season. With a bit of work in defensive structure i think tyrone smith is very good at 12.
Ive always been a AAC hater. Stick the c*** on the wing and leave gerrard at fullback. He shouldve been on the wallabies squad all along last year at fullback.

Haj, don't expect Fushi to agree with any criticism about the almighty Brumbies, who, obviously, are the greatest team since Jesus formed a backyard league team with him and his apostles.

As for the speculation, all paper talk, why do people still listen to this shite. The only confirmed thing is that Giteau is moving on at the END of his contract, despite the fact it was reported two years ago he would see a release from his final two years of his contract. The Force is the Eastern medias favourite playtoy, I mean, weren't we destined to lose every game this season and despite our comparitively large crowds aren't we dying and going to fold? Just watch the damn games and wait until the player announces something, it's much healthier and if everyone does it perhaps we can get proper reporting. ;)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (BLR @ Mar 1 2009, 02:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Haj, don't expect Fushi to agree with any criticism about the almighty Brumbies, who, obviously, are the greatest team since Jesus formed a backyard league team with him and his apostles.[/b]

We don't all think that about our teams? At least mine has trophies to show for something... :p

Haha...

Anyways, I just don't like baseless criticism that Haj is throwing around...

AAC is a quality centre... even BLR will agree with me on that... unfortunately he's spent the past few years being mostly wasted at fullback or on the wing...

He's strong, he's fast, and a good defender (aside from when Shepherd palmed him off... but hey, Shepherd was on fire!)...

However he's not seeing much ball at the moment... it may help to switch him and Mortlock around but the key issue is still the playmaker...

Latest posts