• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Edinburgh set for new 7,800-capacity home at Murrayfield

snoopy snoopy dog dog

First XV
TRF Legend
Club or Nation
Leinster
http://www.the42.ie/edinburgh-murrayfield-stadium-development-4045898-May2018/

SCOTTISH RUGBY HAS today unveiled plans for a new purpose-built stadium to be built on the grounds of Murrayfield to become the home of Guinness Pro14 side Edinburgh.

A planning application has been submitted to the City of Edinburgh Council and the facility, which will include a 3G playing surface and covered stands on all four sides, is intended to be ready for the 2019/20 season.
Great for Edinburgh to finally have a suitable home ground.

Hmmm, then is the intention for big games to move to big Murrayfield?

Temporary seating bringing it up to ~15k might be a good move. Rather a packed bouncing small stadium than an echo chamber.

That stadium rendition looks great. Being of Scottish ancestry I hope to be sitting in one of those seats someday.
scotland-flag-animated.gif

er_venue-390x285.jpg

Last edited:
3G tho.....

Ugh.

Can they not get a hybrid grass pitch and use UV lights to keep it during winter? Bound to be better than that plastic crap (which is fine... for 5-a-side or training).

This cannot come soon enough. It's putting me off going to a 5% full Murrayfield. Great from the SRU to have smelt the coffee and do what fans have been thinking was the only viable solution. Plus the SRU have done well enough financially to be able to make this commitment.

First ever sellout today vs Ulster. Small beer compared to what we are hearing about Munster and Snarks ticket sales, but a clear sign that the SRU finally made the right call in terms of stadia. It's almost unthinkable Edinburgh will go back to the days of zero home field advantage infront of a couple of thousand fans.

The SA sides have something of a similar issue where our stadia are too big for our crowds. I would rather our money be spent on getting back top players than building new stadiums though (leaving our current one as even more of the white elephants they are).

I prefer CT stadium to Newlands for all considerations apart from sentiment and pitch quality. Surely the latter can be addressed though! Apart from that Danie Craven stadium in Stellenbosch only seats 8000. We are looking for about 30K. Athlone stadium seats 30K but that is a soccer stadium...

The SA sides have something of a similar issue where our stadia are too big for our crowds. I would rather our money be spent on getting back top players than building new stadiums though (leaving our current one as even more of the white elephants they are).

I prefer CT stadium to Newlands for all considerations apart from sentiment and pitch quality. Surely the latter can be addressed though! Apart from that Danie Craven stadium in Stellenbosch only seats 8000. We are looking for about 30K. Athlone stadium seats 30K but that is a soccer stadium...
If you are putting 10-20k bums on seats in a 50k stadium it is fine and allows additional advertising with the giant seat cover things in unused stands. For Edinburgh it was 3k in a 67k stadia, which is just awful but you'd still get people wanting a bigger stadium with modern facilities. The Lions crowds always look awful, but if they were on track to win a tournament suddenly 55,000 fans crawl out of the woodwork. Southern Kings were similar. Two men and a dog most days then 20k when they were in with a sniff of playoffs. That sort of fluctuation is probably very strange to European fans.

Waratahs look like an excellent example of a club struggling about where to play with crowds of up to 10k. They've been hopping between the giant Allianz stadium, a more modest 10-12k capacity place and awful looking cricket or aussie rules place.

Anyway, fat lot of good the sellout did Edinburgh, who got a big, fat L.

If you are putting 10-20k bums on seats in a 50k stadium it is fine and allows additional advertising with the giant seat cover things in unused stands. For Edinburgh it was 3k in a 67k stadia, which is just awful but you'd still get people wanting a bigger stadium with modern facilities. The Lions crowds always look awful, but if they were on track to win a tournament suddenly 55,000 fans crawl out of the woodwork. Southern Kings were similar. Two men and a dog most days then 20k when they were in with a sniff of playoffs. That sort of fluctuation is probably very strange to European fans.

Waratahs look like an excellent example of a club struggling about where to play with crowds of up to 10k. They've been hopping between the giant Allianz stadium, a more modest 10-12k capacity place and awful looking cricket or aussie rules place.

At first I thought you sure are arrogant by calling 10 to 20 thousand people bums. In America a bum is a nickname for a panhandler. And then I remembered that in the UK a bum is a persons rear end. ;) Including dogs in the attendance numbers at Southern Kings matches? That's funny.

Last edited:

Point well made.

Latest posts