• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Edinburgh vs Dragons



http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_unio...rgh/6523703.stm :

Edinburgh: (17) 30
Tries: Bentley, Kelly, Callam, Hogg
Cons: Paterson (2)
Pens: Paterson, Hodge

Dragons: (13) 20
Tries A. Brew, Sweeney
Cons: Sweeney (2)
Pens: Sweeney (2)

Edinburgh scored four tries to end recent poor form with a battling win over the Dragons at Murrayfield.

Two Ceri Sweeney penalties gave Dragons an early lead.

But Chris Paterson replied with a precise kick before Chris Bentley and Andrew Kelly plunged over the line to put Edinburgh in command.

And, despite a reply from Dragons' Aled Brew and a late try by Sweeney, tries from David Callam and Ally Hogg made sure of victory for the Scots.

Lynn Howells' Edinburgh were aiming to avoid their fourth straight defeat and demonstrated plenty of effort following an early setback.

The Welsh visitors were fresh from their Euro Challenge Cup success and took the lead when an unforced error by Rob Dewey gave the Welshmen a lineout on 22 metres.

Sweeney slotted home the resulting penalty.

The Dragons stand-off doubled his tally just two minutes later, but Gunners captain Paterson marked his return from injury with a cool kick.

Scotland international Paterson could have levelled the scores with another kick moments later but watched as his effort rebounded off the post.

Paterson was also key to the Gunners recovery when he notched up the first try of the evening, weaving his way through the Dragons' defence after being released by Matt Dey, only to be held up on the line.

The ball was then fed to Chris Bentley, who dived over to notch up his first try for the Murrayfield side.

Paterson converted in trademark style.

The Gunners were in the driving seat when Kelly was sent clear by Paterson, who then converted the hooker's touchdown.

However, Dragons snatched a lifeline when Brew sprinted clear to score in the corner and Sweeney made a superb conversion to reduce the margin to four.

Welsh hopes were dashed as the Gunners grabbed two tries after the break.

First, Callam latched on to Grieg Laidlaw's kick and then Hogg broke through the Dragons defence to clinch Edinburgh's bonus point.

Paterson missed both conversions and it was up to Duncan Hodge to step up and establish a 17-point cushion with a penalty on the hour mark.

The Dragons clawed back some dignity when Sweeney ended a clean move then converted his own try from the touchline.

But the Gunners held out for a well-deserved win to hang on to fifth place in the Magners League.

It sounds like Edinburgh were glad to have finished off their losing streak, but neither side had it comfortably.
I still haven't seen any of the highlights, but they'll surely be on come Sunday on ScrumV.

Latest posts