• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Emerging nations in 10 years time

The big problem Argentina has is that the people running the Union are amateurs, they are not at the level of management the SANZAR nations have. Hopefully the Buenos Aires Union stops being an elitist social club and opens up the inevitable path of professionalism in the country.

The big problem Argentina has is that the people running the Union are amateurs, they are not at the level of management the SANZAR nations have. Hopefully the Buenos Aires Union stops being an elitist social club and opens up the inevitable path of professionalism in the country.

Talking of Argentina ... What's the name of their winger who played for Leicester at one point ? Aguian or something starting with an a :)

It's very, very hard to tell.

Of the tier 1 countries, I think Argentina could become a powerhouse. Regular competition against the Sanzar nations will raise their game. I'd love to see Italy do likewise but their underage results are generally poor which doesn't leave a strong foundation.

From tier 2, the IRB are doing the right thing in getting more high level games for Samoa. I think they'll be live World Cup quarter final contenders from now on.

Psychic Duck knows a lot more about Georgian rugby than I do so I'll 100% go with what he says. That they've bested Italy two years running at underage level is a big positive for them. I view 2019 as a big moment in the sports history with the World Cup moving away from the traditional nations. Georgia should be a tier 1 nation by then if they're supported.

The 2019 World Cup in Japan will hopefully lead to better things from them. They need more tests against tier 1 countries. I hope all the tier 1 nations play the Cherry Blossoms in Japan at least once before they host the sport's largest event. In 10 years I think they'll be in the position Samoa are in now - just outside tier 1 status.

They are the easy ones to list. Not so easy is the next group. How about the USA, Russia and...........China.

It seems like every few months another company have plans to establish a pro league in North America. If one gets off the ground, it could have the same effect on rugby in the States as the MLS has for soccer there. From being a bit of a joke in 1990, the World Cup in 1994 and subsequent establishment of the MLS brought the American national team to the World Cup quarter final in 2002. In 2009 they beat Spain en route to a Confederations Cup final. America could be quarter finalists in 2023 in my opinion.

While Olympic involvement is only in the bastardized 7s format, Russia and China's desire for Olympic medals can't be underestimated. I suspect both governments will throw money at that sport which will have a positive impact on the XVs sides. Neither will be close to qualifying for the 2023 last eight but both should comfortably qualify for the tournament.

To assist growth in the sport, how about a 24 team tournament (4 pools of 6 teams) in 2023, hopefully in Italy or Argentina? There would be mismatches but gaps between the top teams and tier 2 are shrinking so there'd be no more than there are now. It would provide the minnows with another chance to win a game against fellow developing nations and from a financial perspective, countries with potentially large TV markets like Russia, Germany, Brazil, Spain and China would have a better chance of qualifying.

There was a time when the American soccer team was considered to be weaker than Canada's and we consistently beat them in friendlies, now we are lucky to earn a draw against them, and them and Mexico are totally dominant in CONCACAF having combined to win all but one of the Gold Cups(our regional championship, Canada won the only exception in 2000)

Big win for Japan today. Hopefully a watershed moment for them.

Anyone know much about Swiss rugby? Looking at their lineup a few weeks back they had plenty of players from strong French clubs.

Yeah, but Wales don't have its best players...

Still, a win is a win and not only that but it looks like they won well.

It's very, very hard to tell.

Of the tier 1 countries, I think Argentina could become a powerhouse. Regular competition against the Sanzar nations will raise their game. I'd love to see Italy do likewise but their underage results are generally poor which doesn't leave a strong foundation.

From tier 2, the IRB are doing the right thing in getting more high level games for Samoa. I think they'll be live World Cup quarter final contenders from now on.

Psychic Duck knows a lot more about Georgian rugby than I do so I'll 100% go with what he says. That they've bested Italy two years running at underage level is a big positive for them. I view 2019 as a big moment in the sports history with the World Cup moving away from the traditional nations. Georgia should be a tier 1 nation by then if they're supported.

The 2019 World Cup in Japan will hopefully lead to better things from them. They need more tests against tier 1 countries. I hope all the tier 1 nations play the Cherry Blossoms in Japan at least once before they host the sport's largest event. In 10 years I think they'll be in the position Samoa are in now - just outside tier 1 status.

They are the easy ones to list. Not so easy is the next group. How about the USA, Russia and...........China.

It seems like every few months another company have plans to establish a pro league in North America. If one gets off the ground, it could have the same effect on rugby in the States as the MLS has for soccer there. From being a bit of a joke in 1990, the World Cup in 1994 and subsequent establishment of the MLS brought the American national team to the World Cup quarter final in 2002. In 2009 they beat Spain en route to a Confederations Cup final. America could be quarter finalists in 2023 in my opinion.

While Olympic involvement is only in the bastardized 7s format, Russia and China's desire for Olympic medals can't be underestimated. I suspect both governments will throw money at that sport which will have a positive impact on the XVs sides. Neither will be close to qualifying for the 2023 last eight but both should comfortably qualify for the tournament.

To assist growth in the sport, how about a 24 team tournament (4 pools of 6 teams) in 2023, hopefully in Italy or Argentina? There would be mismatches but gaps between the top teams and tier 2 are shrinking so there'd be no more than there are now. It would provide the minnows with another chance to win a game against fellow developing nations and from a financial perspective, countries with potentially large TV markets like Russia, Germany, Brazil, Spain and China would have a better chance of qualifying.

Good post. Regarding the 7's at the Olympics is it both men & women or just men? if both Russia are already pretty strong in women's 7's

Anyone know much about Swiss rugby? Looking at their lineup a few weeks back they had plenty of players from strong French clubs.
Do you have a match sheet? I didn't know there were swiss internationals playing professional rugby in France.

Do you have a match sheet? I didn't know there were swiss internationals playing professional rugby in France.

Here you go.

Switzerland squad
Benjamin SCHAERER, FC Grenoble (FRA)
Mathieu PAUL, St-Paul-lès-Dax (FRA)
Cyril LAFUYE, SO Chambéry (FRA)
Mathias BERNATH-YENDT, Lyon OU (FRA)
Cyril COULOT, RC Yverdon
Nicolas GUYOU, RC Chateaurenard (FRA)
Jonathan WULLSCHLEGER, St-Priest Rugby (FRA)
Cyril LIN, CA Lannemezanais (FRA), capitaine
Simon PERROD, US Oyonnax (FRA)
Benoît CAMPS, RC Suresnois (FRA)
Matthieu GUYOU-KREIS, RC Maison-Lafitte (FRA)
Ghislain MONTIEL, US Annecy (FRA)
Sylvain HIRSCH, RC Genève PLO
Benjamin DOY, US Oyonnax (FRA)
Thibault GERY, FC Grenoble (FRA)
Eddy GOMBAS, RC Avusy
Maxime LUCON, US Oyonnax (FRA)
Clément BARTSCHI, AS Villeurbanne EL (FRA)
Johannes KUNG, GC Zürich
Alexandre COULLON, Nyon RC
Hugo BOCHERENS, US Seynoise (FRA)
Iain MOWAT, Hermance RRC
Nicolas DIMITRI, St-Médard RC (FRA)
Jake SEREX, ES Santboiana (ESP)
Arnaud RAMEY, RO Agathois (FRA)
Achille TOUCHAIS, RC Genève PLO

Here you go.

Switzerland squad
Benjamin SCHAERER, FC Grenoble (FRA)
Mathieu PAUL, St-Paul-lès-Dax (FRA)
Cyril LAFUYE, SO Chambéry (FRA)
Mathias BERNATH-YENDT, Lyon OU (FRA)
Cyril COULOT, RC Yverdon
Nicolas GUYOU, RC Chateaurenard (FRA)
Jonathan WULLSCHLEGER, St-Priest Rugby (FRA)
Cyril LIN, CA Lannemezanais (FRA), capitaine
Simon PERROD, US Oyonnax (FRA)
Benoît CAMPS, RC Suresnois (FRA)
Matthieu GUYOU-KREIS, RC Maison-Lafitte (FRA)
Ghislain MONTIEL, US Annecy (FRA)
Sylvain HIRSCH, RC Genève PLO
Benjamin DOY, US Oyonnax (FRA)
Thibault GERY, FC Grenoble (FRA)
Eddy GOMBAS, RC Avusy
Maxime LUCON, US Oyonnax (FRA)
Clément BARTSCHI, AS Villeurbanne EL (FRA)
Johannes KUNG, GC Zürich
Alexandre COULLON, Nyon RC
Hugo BOCHERENS, US Seynoise (FRA)
Iain MOWAT, Hermance RRC
Nicolas DIMITRI, St-Médard RC (FRA)
Jake SEREX, ES Santboiana (ESP)
Arnaud RAMEY, RO Agathois (FRA)
Achille TOUCHAIS, RC Genève PLO

soo Swiss last names are weird mix of french-British last names ?

Swiss do speak German. But I believe Japan would be most improved

Another impressive win for Japan over the USA at the weekend. It looks like they're making big strides this year.

Georgia:
I agree with ZeFrenchy, I haven't seen a decent back yet...but also with psychic duck in that both Italy and Argentina are definite Tier 1 nations nowadays based on the scrum and forward play in general (though Argentina are far more than that now).
I think more exposure to the sport may come, since they've got so many guys in France and some in England, they'll get more competitive as a team, which will attract more fans, and make Georgia grow as a Rugby nation.

USA:
absolutely no reason why they should truly progress. I'd love for it to happen, but it's the same old story again, same old points, and I don't see anything refuting those points. They've got the NBA, NFL, NHL etc...baseball, they love their stuff, they live as if their country was planet Earth as a whole (not criticizing, just stating facts). It would take such effort for them to become competitive with so many other countries who are really willing to, like Canada Japan Georgia etc...; that by the time they put together a REAL eagles team (not semi-pros for God's sake) we're talking a few generations it seems.

Japan:
huge money, similar to the French Top 14 monopoly game. Tremendous exposure to the sport, int'l players invading the country, big names, more Japanese fans=more Japanese players; more competition, tougher level...etc...even hosting a World Cup soon....they're obviously on their way.

Canada:
don't know much about them, but it seems they're steadily building; even though they're not nearly as competitive now as they may have been during the 90's for e.g. They seem to be stagnant, they're right there but lose certain matches with typically Tier 2.5/3 scorelines...I'd love to see them rise eventually, but they seem like they're not making a huge leap.

Last edited:
Russia getting a lot better
I'm not that sure about Russia. They have huge rugby history as USSR and the only direction they move since then is downstairs. Lots of people take Russia for newbies and are therefore impressed by their performance at RWC 2011. 8 tries is pretty cool, but we all remember that almost each of opponents used to win the game till 20th minute in every game vs Russia. And not only winning but getting bonus as well)) And all the games after RWC are clear evidence of the fact that Russia is still absolutely incapable of winning the games vs Romania, USA, Canada or Georgia. The best they can hope for is victory against Spain or Portugal, no more than that I'm afraid.

Georgia:
I agree with ZeFrenchy, I haven't seen a decent back yet...but also with psychic duck in that both Italy and Argentina are definite Tier 1 nations nowadays based on the scrum and forward play in general (though Argentina are far more than that now).
I think more exposure to the sport may come, since they've got so many guys in France and some in England, they'll get more competitive as a team, which will attract more fans, and make Georgia grow as a Rugby nation.

Merab Sharikadze will be a good back for them. Tamaz Mchedlidze isn't bad either. They're both very young.

USA:
absolutely no reason why they should truly progress. I'd love for it to happen, but it's the same old story again, same old points, and I don't see anything refuting those points. They've got the NBA, NFL, NHL etc...baseball, they love their stuff, they live as if their country was planet Earth as a whole (not criticizing, just stating facts). It would take such effort for them to become competitive with so many other countries who are really willing to, like Canada Japan Georgia etc...; that by the time they put together a REAL eagles team (not semi-pros for God's sake) we're talking a few generations it seems.

There are plenty of reasons we should progress. Starting with youth rugby. There has been an explosion of youth rugby in this country, which basically didn't exist 10 years ago. It will take time to filter through to the national team and even to our age grade teams, but we are talking about 10 years from now in this thread. And our U20s, despite getting their asses kicked in the JWC this year (a cut in U20 funding and a coaching change was a problem), beat Japan, Tonga and Canada the previous year to win promotion to the JWC.

Japan:
huge money, similar to the French Top 14 monopoly game. Tremendous exposure to the sport, int'l players invading the country, big names, more Japanese fans=more Japanese players; more competition, tougher level...etc...even hosting a World Cup soon....they're obviously on their way.

The structure and attitude of the JRFU will prevent Japan from improving much. Look at the age grade results for them to see how they really aren't developing players like you claim.

I just say that hopefully Japan Rugby will not be an illusion, lets see what happens after RWC19 with them.

Latest posts