• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England Rugby 9's

DUCKMAX

Academy Player
Country Flag
England
Is it just me or has England become totally void of any 9's competitions? I remember the likes of the Carnegie Floodlit Nines and the Northern Rail Nines but it seems like they have died a death from what I can see. After watching the Auckland Nines and the quality of play that was on display it seems a shame that the Super League isn't pushing Nines alot more.

This to me could be the best way to display Rugby League to the areas where League is a niche sport and with the set-up of League Nines you can create a nice festival like atmosphere with multiple games and plenty of fan interaction to try and build more interest.

I'd replace the "Magic" Weekend with a 9s weekend. Take it on the road somewhere and really, really hype it. But then I'd replace the "Magic" weekend with a table and a lampshade, because I hate it!

I personally like the magic weekend and its a chance for me to go see a heap of teams in one place seeing as I am outside the heartland and don't get Super League rugby but Nines in my opinion would be much easier to market and could really do well in the summer when families want stuff to do. Also 9's matches could be a good place for some of the younger talent to get some good game time if they don't get much in League play.

My problem with the "Magic" weekend is that some teams get the easy life because their rivals are rubbish, whereas Saints have to play the likes of Wigan or Warrington and visa versa. It just isn't fair.

Latest posts