• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England Squad

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Jan 29 2009, 03:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Easter may not be what he was a couple of years ago, but he's still a better option.[/b]

Did you see what he was like a couple of years ago? Slow, lethargic and frankly disinterested at times. Now these days he's like a maniac out there (but in a controlled way) and for his sins is now a good Number 8.

I would say this is down squarely to how Dean Richards has coached him at 'Quins. If the tallest and hardest of international hard-as-nails back-rowers says he's now awesome, I'm inclined to agree..

No, I'd actually say that Easter has become a typical Leicester Number 8 circa 2002; Laying over the ball, gobbing off instead of playing and failing to live up to the hype.

Oh wait... You already mentioned the Dean Richards influence...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Jan 29 2009, 03:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
What about the fact Haskell is a natural 6 who only gets shoe-horned into the charriot seat, and isn't a particularly good 6 anyway; He's famous and "good" because Don Lawrence Told the BBC and other Meeja he should be.

Easter may not be what he was a couple of years ago, but he's still a better option.[/b]

I agree with you Haskell is a better 6 than 8, and he's not playing great atm.

But I really think, if you watch the 1st half England vs Wales 6N game last year/ the GP Final/ the NZ tour and every turnover resulted from some brilliant work from Haskell + Rees. When he's playing well, he's a very good player. Also, in an England pack devoid of too many ball-carriers, he does at least make some ground and add some pace.

I don't think so, you've got it the wrong way around. During the Autumn internationals, the gobbing was being done by the likes of Haskell and (if you can call "um..er..oh, okay" gobbing) Borthwick. From the New Zealand tour onwards Easter's work rate has improved from a last year and he was one of the better players in what was a terribly underperforming England back row. Him and Croft at times (EDIT: change "at times" to "every Australian's nightmare" for Croft) against Australia were industrious.

As for the laying on the ball charge, considering that the refs were incredibly hot at the breakdown at the England games, Easter must have been either blackmailing the match officials or must have been wearing a patented Richie McCaw thermoptic camoflague invisibility suit because it was the bloody likes of Mears and co who were getting binned for hands in the ruck and killing the ball..

Oh, sorry, I didn't realise that those apparently unimportant matches between internationals (Heineken Cup, par example) don't count...

Oh, right... Explain the lack of Geheraty then. And for thatmatter, preferring Moody to Armatidge.

On the flip side, explain the lack of those who have performed well in domestic competition? Geraghty also blew hot against France and cold against Wales remember.

They stick with what they know and thats the problem as with some players it works and with others it doesn't. I mean, if GOD was still playing for Sarries, I'd dare say Johnson would have called him up as well, fused knee or no. What I would give to have someone like Livremont in charge of selection but then we'd probably lurch to the other end of the spectrum and end up with a bunch of twenty-something unknowns both at Club and International level.

That's no reason for the constant defence of calling up the old guard or the offspring of said old guard. England have suffered for 4 1/2 years becaue of the old boys network; E.G. Haskell only gets called up because Dayglos gone and he's the understudy.

Just imagine Hendry putting out the call out for Mehertens. The NZ public wouldn't all go "oooh, good idea", he's be laughed out of the country. Here however, aparently decisions like that are praised as ingenious.

Latest posts