• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England vs Canada - 10/07/21

I don't actually disagree with anything you've said there, but those weren't the points I was arguing …

This isn't an impassioned defence of Eddie Jones. I simply took issue with Crash Hamster suggesting that coaching at test level is just a case of picking the best 15 players.
If I may borrow a line from above: Quite honestly, if you think that's exactly what I said, then you fail at English Comprehension

(I won't list my qualifications at English Comprehension, but I can assure the thread that I've never failed in it. Nor coaching, tbf...)

Cool opinion, but not a demonstable fact. I'd cite finishing 5th in the 6N and playing awfully at the same time as evidence that the current selection and tactics aren't working. I contend that my 'very naive and simplistic' view would have worked as well or better (in terms of finishing higher up the 6N table and working towards the RWC) than the overly complex and rigid system employed. You can disagree and that's fine, but you need to show me how Eddie's 6N tactics were in some way effective.
I wasn't talking about the tactics or style of play though. I don't think we have played well in some time and I wouldn't disagree that the system seems to be over complicated and too prescriptive. I'd far rather we played what was in front of us rather than repeatedly running pre-planned moves even if they're being telegraphed.

However, I still think your view that simply picking the 15 best players is all there is to it is naive. For example, picking the best two locks is fine in theory, but what if their strengths don't complement each other? A classic example is the 'Pooper' back row where it was a case of Cheika wanting to play both Hooper and Pocock even when it was clear it wasn't working more often than not.

If I may borrow a line from above: Quite honestly, if you think that's exactly what I said, then you fail at English Comprehension

(I won't list my qualifications at English Comprehension, but I can assure the thread that I've never failed in it. Nor coaching, tbf...)
So when I asked the question, 'do you really think being an international coach is as simple as just picking the best 15 players?', you said 'Yes'.

What else was I supposed to take from that?

So when I asked the question, 'do you really think being an international coach is as simple as just picking the best 15 players?', you said 'Yes'.

What else was I supposed to take from that?
"I can see why the third best inside centre might get a game (maybe he works well with the best FH and OC) but there's no reason to be picking an OC at FB, when we have several good FBs"..?

At risk of repeating myself, you have to do the basics well before working the 'top international coach' magic. I feel that EJ is far too busy showing off all the clever 'nice to haves' before getting the basics right.

Using a direct and simple answer as a rhetorical device can sometimes make a person with whom you are debating pause and consider your point of view. Your question came across as patronising and posed from a position of superiority, whether intentional or not (see also presentation of opinion as fact by others in this thread) and my intention was to make you question your core assumptions.

Making people question their core assumptions is coaching...

"I can see why the third best inside centre might get a game (maybe he works well with the best FH and OC) but there's no reason to be picking an OC at FB, when we have several good FBs"..?

At risk of repeating myself, you have to do the basics well before working the 'top international coach' magic. I feel that EJ is far too busy showing off all the clever 'nice to haves' before getting the basics right.

Using a direct and simple answer as a rhetorical device can sometimes make a person with whom you are debating pause and consider your point of view. Your question came across as patronising and posed from a position of superiority, whether intentional or not (see also presentation of opinion as fact by others in this thread) and my intention was to make you question your core assumptions.

Making people question their core assumptions is coaching...
Anyway, life to lead, no hard feelings :)

Ludlow banned for 4 games.
Bit of a cop out that they count pre-season games in bans. (Mind clubs also try and count A games as well lol)

Latest posts