• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England vs Canada - 10/07/21

I think id like to see something like this...(assuming Lawrence is unavailable)

1. Genge
2. Blamire
3. Heyes
4. Wells
5. Ewels
6. Ludlam
7. Curry
8. Dombrandt

9. Randall
10. Smith
11. Cokanasiga
12. Slade
13. Marchant
14. Radwan
15. Steward

16. Langdon
17. Rodd
18. Hill
19. Munga
20. Underhill / Chick - another chance
21. Mitchell
22. Umaga

Could probably put out the u20s and England would still win. Canada looked pretty awful against Wales.

I think id like to see something like this...(assuming Lawrence is unavailable)

1. Genge
2. Blamire
3. Heyes
4. Wells
5. Ewels
6. Ludlam
7. Curry
8. Dombrandt

9. Randall
10. Smith
11. Cokanasiga
12. Slade
13. Marchant
14. Radwan
15. Steward

16. Langdon
17. Rodd
18. Hill
19. Munga
20. Underhill / Chick - another chance
21. Mitchell
22. Umaga
Please no 6:2

lol, still deciding on how to split the bench... ;)

Please no Slade at 12 either. We need to start playing 12s at 12 and stop playing 5 locks and 4 13s.

Please no Slade at 12 either. We need to start playing 12s at 12 and stop playing 5 locks and 4 13s.
I'm okay with that - it's still his position-of-best-fit; it's just never worked on paper, but equally, he's never had a sustained opportunity to make it work.
Of course, he wouldn't in a single match against Canada either; and Baxter isn't moving him from 13...

I'd like a Kelly/Marchant midfield with Slade as cover.
I think if we see kelly it will be 12 Kelly 13 Slade 14 Marchant, 23 Radwan/other young winger. Marchant moves to 13 when Radwan comes on.

No Slade at 12, but i think we will keep slade as the experienced member of the backs, and as a playmaker at 13 he bring the others around him into play. Id be happy with Marchant starting i just dont think he will.

I'm the opposite - I'd be surprised if Marchant doesn't start. I just think it might be on the wing instead of at 13 where he should be. Then again, some of that is down to the injuries to Lawrence and Malins.

I do keep forgetting about Kelly. Would Jones start him...or bring him from the bench.

If Marchant players he has to play at 13...im a bit tired with this playing people all over the place just to fit in their skills. Malins..10 or 15...but now hes a winger?? Meh.

I do keep forgetting about Kelly. Would Jones start him...or bring him from the bench.

If Marchant players he has to play at 13...im a bit tired with this playing people all over the place just to fit in their skills. Malins..10 or 15...but now hes a winger?? Meh.
Malins has done well on the wing for Bristol and Marchant has done well there for Quins so its not just eddie being eddie but id rather them in their actual positions dont get me wrong.

Yep. While players have to be multi skilled the numbers on their backs do matter and matter more as the level increases.

Malins looks like getting caught in the versatility trap. I'm not even sure what his 'best' position is, 15 maybe, but I can't see him being our best 10 or one of our 2 best wingers, ever. And I think Steward has already overtaken him (and everyone else) for FB. That's not to say he's a bad player, just more likely to be squad / bench than starter. Different to Daly who, for me, was always clearly a centre being played out of position.

Yep. While players have to be multi skilled the numbers on their backs do matter and matter more as the level increases.

Malins looks like getting caught in the versatility trap. I'm not even sure what his 'best' position is, 15 maybe, but I can't see him being our best 10 or one of our 2 best wingers, ever. And I think Steward has already overtaken him (and everyone else) for FB. That's not to say he's a bad player, just more likely to be squad / bench than starter. Different to Daly who, for me, was always clearly a centre being played out of position.
I really think Malins vs Steward will be a tought one, both FBs by trade and seem good at the fundimentals but Steward wins this battle yet malins isnt exactly lacking, attacking Malins has the pace and the handling to create many more chances being an attacking FB we wish Daly could have been

Ive seen malins at 10 and he looked good but not seen enough to say he'd ever be international, seen him cover 12(from the bench) and look good, a winger with a good set of hands as well as a good attacker is definatly a bonus and FB is prob his best place. I think he could cover that 22 spot if he gets more time at 10 (as 10 cover when needed and back line cover), leaving a 23 spot open.

At Quins how often has smith been replaced this season, same for J Simmonds so bar injury a 10 can easily play 80 and if Malins is good cover at 10 if needed but also covers the rest of the backline he could be exactly what we need,

But could end up resigned to the bench for this alot which is harsh on him.

Latest posts