• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Tonga vs Australia A (14/07/23)

With 7 NZ born players in the starting 15, plus 2 Tongan born ex all blacks, this is my third team.

Ex-All Blacks 27 - 21 Aussie Bin Juice

It's a shame Tonga are in Group B, if they were in C or D they'd have a real shot at the knockouts, but I can't see them keeping one of Ireland of SA out

Ex-All Blacks 27 - 21 Aussie Bin Juice

It's a shame Tonga are in Group B, if they were in C or D they'd have a real shot at the knockouts, but I can't see them keeping one of Ireland of SA out
My views too. Will be better in a few years and will offer alot but still way to soon to be competing with very top sides. But it is good I suppose as it adds a bit more interest.

Will be better in a few years
I'm not sure, tbh - the boost of ABs/Wallabies they've got atm is gonna elevate them massively but none will be around for the next RWC, and is there a next raft of Tier 1 internationals waiting in the wings for them to pinch?

I'm not sure, tbh - the boost of ABs/Wallabies they've got atm is gonna elevate them massively but none will be around for the next RWC, and is there a next raft of Tier 1 internationals waiting in the wings for them to pinch?
No but if there is a steady flow I would expect them to maintain that level of like the Georgia, Italy kind of level.

I think what you will see now is constantly it will be lads who were in their prime at 22-26 years old then out of NZ/Aus selection and will fall back to this.
Where it will be interesting is how European clubs take it going forward as half the time the beauty of signing these guys is they are never gone internationally. Fekitoa for us was an example. When deal was done we never expected he would be gone for international games.

Why they need is what happened in league where most if the top players eligible for Tonga and Samoa decided to play for Tonga and samoa. (Tongans did t first and made a semifinal of the World Cup. Next World Cup Samoans followed suit and made the final.)

If that happens they will be able to become tier 1 nations, which will reduce their desire to play for other international sides. Currently they want to play for other international sides because it promotes their brand better and because they want to play for top teams. If they are a tier 1 team then a lot of that goes away. They would just need to invest in top coaches and convince all the players to do that.

Especially now that New Zealanders can play for moana pacifika and still live in NZ; previously every professional rugby team in NZ could only have a very small number of players not eligible for the all blacks. Which means f you play for one of those teams then you are incentivized not to pay for Tonga or samoa.

Latest posts