• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England 2023/24

Fair point, but at least Chessum offers the lineout prowess.

For me, Willis is an 8. I don't see him as a test 6.
Agreed but when he plays with Earl then Earl goes to 7. So who would then be 6?

Though does limit who he can play with.

Well yeah, kind of the same point really. As much as I like Willis, picking him with Earl would still need a more athletic 6 for balance and as a lineout option. I still think Dombrandt deserves his spot ATM, but when Willis inherits the 8 shirt for Saracens full time, that may change.

Subject to form, I'd be looking at CCS and Hill as the blindside options, but I wouldn't be outraged if Roots stayed in. Hopefully Carnduff keeps progressing and becomes a serious option at 6.

Nice piece on Langdon in the Times today. Slightly surprised that he's going to turn 27 over the summer though. Maybe a case of now or never for him.

Nice piece on Langdon in the Times today. Slightly surprised that he's going to turn 27 over the summer though. Maybe a case of now or never for him.
Who are our options at Hooker.?
George
Dan
langdon
Blamire
Then?

Dan is solid and seems to have a high Ceiling, Langdon i like and would do a good job. Blamire i really like(and would have at Chiefs) but not sure he quite steps up.

Whos next?
Obv Dunn as solid backup and Barbeary(playes hooker right ;) ;) )
Whos the young potential?

If we need 7 hookers then **** has gone seriously wrong.

Edit: 8

I guess none of those will slap the ball out of play LCD style

This thread gets weird sometimes
"English Rugby is failing because our 5th choice 10 isn't a seasoned international" was a mad take during the 6N

Mine was more of a who's up and coming rather than anything is wrong, George wont be here forever so when Dan steps up who will be competing for the next spot.

Langdon >>> Dan

Tbh he's in significantly better form than George this season too - bit unfortunate JG is captain in that regard, as it means a start for any other hooker is unlikely this summer

Shame we've only got three games not four - weird that it's only two games vs NZ not three

I guess the point is that there's a huge gap behind an ageing George if we assume that LCD struggles to regain full form. It's not so much about who's 7th or 8th choice, but who's the immediate succession plan for both 2 and 16? Dan looks to be the chosen man but despite some obvious strengths is far from a complete option.

Lot of good club players, but unproven or flawed at the higher level. No-one who we could say with confidence that they'd be fine if we had to chuck them into a game with France, the Boks, NZ or Ire.

And Scotty didn't even mention one of our hookers at last year's RWC 😀. I haven't always agreed with the treatment of Walker over time although I do agree with SB's conclusion that he falls a little bit short at that level.

Langdon >>> Dan

Tbh he's in significantly better form than George this season too - bit unfortunate JG is captain in that regard, as it means a start for any other hooker is unlikely this summer

Shame we've only got three games not four - weird that it's only two games vs NZ not three

And in the 6N it was noticeable that George's game time reduced over what we'd seen previously.

Is that because they had increased faith in Dan or because George no longer has the legs / form? Possibly a bit of both but I'd say more the latter.

He did 71 v Wal, 67 v Sco, but just 54 v Ire, 52 v Ita and 49 v Fra. For the tight Ire and Fra games in particular it's a bit odd seeing your captain hooked so early. Be interesting to see what that looks like in NZ.

Latest posts