• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

English rugby opts to go it alone in bid to stage 2015 World Cup

• Thread starter snoopy snoopy dog dog
  • Start date
well they've gotten cheaper in the last year but we've got a government who won't spend money and 2 bodies who don't have it to spend, they can't just rock up to Sandyford and ask them to start printing.

Can't you guys just hire Keith & Mick who did my driveway to build an 80,000 stadium in Dublin? I'm sure they'll have a fleet of battered old Ford Transits laden with bricks, steelwork and glass at Dublin 4 within 48 hours...

...just don't ask where it came from, okay?

well we would have got the Poles to do a nixer but they're all heading home now.

Why not a build it on a greenfield site then Tarbh? And don't mention anything about history, because search for the Aviva Stadium and you won't find anything before 2009!

well then you get a soulless venue outside some industrial estate with **** all atmosphere in or around the venue. Even if you were to build on a greenfield site it's still gonna cost a fortune, the estimate for Stadium Ireland was €500 million and that was only for a 65000 seater stadium.

The money simply isn't there to build a huge new stadium, it's a struggle for the FAI to even make their part of the money for Lansdowne, so what chance of something bigger.

Even if you factor in a conservative €1.5 million in extra revenue, you're talking at least 30 or 40 years before they're making money on the stadium by which time it'll be well past it's sell by date.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Feb 25 2009, 08:02 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Why not a build it on a greenfield site then Tarbh?[/b]
There was talk aa few years ago of a land swap whereby the old Irish Glass Bottle site in Ringsend would house a national stadium among other things. The below link shows the area it's in:

http://www.mco.ie/company/documents/irishTimes061102.pdf

It's only a mile or so from Lansdowne Rd. I think it's full of apartments now.

well having worked down there during the Summer I'm glad that wasn't an option, the place reeks with the sewerage plant.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Why the f*** would they demolish a 49,000 and spend millions on a new 50,000 one?

This strikes me as very stupid.[/b]

Well we got to remember that Lansdowne was on its last legs, sure we lost the North Terrace for the last year as a result of the fire undermining the structure. Lansdowne had to be replaced that was never in doubt.

As for changing from 49,000 to 50,000 its a false figure (not your fault). Lansdowne had a capacity of about 35,000 fully seated but with the terraces open for rugby it raised the attendance into the mid-late 40's. The new Lansdowne will be 50,000+ fully seated. it will be two tiered, all seating under a roof, and also include the lucrative corporate boxes that were not available in the old stadiums.

Two totally different stadia

Latest posts