Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Sweden

• Switzerland

• Total voters
A

An Tarbh

As I've said before I think there are only 4 teams who can win, France, Italy, England and Spain.

England wont win - Holland, Portigal and the Czechs are more likely then them.........

I'll stick with France, proven world class performers throughout the whole team.

i just hope england get knocked out early enough for me to enjoy the rest of the tournament. it's pretty pathetic while england are in, as we have to put up with people/press dreaming up all sorts of reasons as to why england can/will/should have won, as well as incredibly archaic and tenuous reasons as to whjy we must hate the entire nation of each team we play.

England's success depends on Sven's selections in the midfield.

Frank Lampard HAS to play. He has been the best midfielder in the Premiership this season, i'd say even ahead of Steven Gerrard. Nicky Butt was good for England in Japan, but that should not allow him to play this summer. He is cack and not match-fit. When he played vs Sweden last month he gave the ball away every time he had it and looked knackered.

I'd have this team

-------------------Owen + Heskey-------------------

--------------------------Scholes----------------------

-------------Lampard + Gerrard + Beckham-------

-A Cole-------------------------------------G Neville-

-------------------Terry + Campbell------------------

--------------------------James-------------------------

No natural left sided midfielders, so why play Scholes/Lampard/Gerrard there. Ashley Cole will provide the width needed up the left.

Depending on who is further forward, Gerrard or Lampard, the other should drop back in behind. Both are better going forward but both are also top defenders when required.

Paul Robinson is a better keeper than James but won't play.

Would you seriously have Heskey in ahead of Rooney, I know Rooney hasn't had the best season but he miles better than Heskey.

OOPS that was an accident.

Rooney + Owen up front for me. Defoe and Smith should have been the backup 2 as well.

You'd expect a team like England to have better backup than Defoe, Smith, Vassell. Central defence is screwed if Campbell or Terry get an injury.

Still think England will be exploited by good wingers, side midfielders, down their flanks.

You're right though - depth isn't their strength, so injuries/suspensions will be crucial to their chances. Even then I question englands ability to contain world class players like Henry, Zidane etc

Forgot to mention that James is crap as well - wait for that all important error from him when it comes to the crunch.........

The one thing that bugs me about the French is the last world cup, they were built up as the favourites but lost Pires and Zidane missed the first 2 games and didn't look up to much in the final game against Denmark, with them playing for the French along with Henry they have the most potent attack in the tournament. Although England would claim that the loss of Gerrard and Gary Neville hit them as badly.

Originally posted by robbinho@May 25 2004, 11:00 AM
i just hope england get knocked out early enough for me to enjoy the rest of the tournament. it's pretty pathetic while england are in, as we have to put up with people/press dreaming up all sorts of reasons as to why england can/will/should have won, as well as incredibly archaic and tenuous reasons as to whjy we must hate the entire nation of each team we play.
Judas!

Looks like Desailly may miss the opening game against England, not sure who it's better for the French or English, probably France.

Again not sure who this benefits but Darius Vassell should be fit for England with Defoe probably missing out. Defoe or Vassell, not sure really?

Both of those players arn't up to this level - so toss a coin material really...........

England need their best performance + a bit of luck to beat the French but it is still possible to beat them.

Defence is the major worry with Ferdinand and Woodgate out. Terry and Ferdinand would now be my preferred central 2. Wayne Bridge has to be close to taking the LB role and had Glen Johnson not been injuered in March/April then I reckon he would be there.

The good thing for England is playing the French first up so matter if they lose they still have something to play for, and are more likely to have a full strength team.

Originally posted by woodie@May 26 2004, 03:44 AM
OOPS that was an accident.

Rooney + Owen up front for me. Defoe and Smith should have been the backup 2 as well.
Rooney is overweight.

He'd probaly be too busy at the all you can eat buffets in the luxery boxes

Originally posted by NZL fan@May 26 2004, 01:55 PM
Both of those players arn't up to this level - so toss a coin material really...........

Defoe has all the ability to be one of England's greatest, and Vassell is a PROVEN threat at this level - he terrorises defences.

Latest posts