• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Evolution of the tackle

Trying to make the game safer is costing the paying customer a equal contest. Maybe bring in a extra punishment. Nobody wants to see a red card early on in a match.
Not too bothered by that TBH, it's still v early days and players will learn and adapt quickly enough. The debate about black cards etc is on another thread and definitely does have merit.

Yoshimitsu is right though, this is going to be the direction of travel. Underhill for one has shown that you can hit hard and low.

Trying to make the game safer is costing the paying customer a equal contest. Maybe bring in a extra punishment. Nobody wants to see a red card early on in a match.
Correction.
Players failing to try to make the game safer is costing the paying customer an equal contest.

I can't think of a single red card given in this tournament that wouldn't have been a red card offence 2 years ago, and barely any that wouldn't have been 6 years ago. They would just have got away with their foul play before as the refs were too scared to use the reds. After the first week of the RWC we were all complaining that refs were too scared to give a red, and a dip of 5cm was letting a player get away with a tackle that was 30cm high. All the guidelines have done is to enforce the existing laws, and give refs less wriggle room to let people off unfairly.
We've spent decades bemoaning the lack of consistency from refs. Now they're being consistent about something, we're complaining.

It won't be the end of the tackle, just 'maybe' the end of the big hit... though 'maybe' not. I'd imagine the passive style of tackling (pulling a player down, rather than hitting a player backwards) will become more the norm moving forwards but who actually knows.
Again, I'd suggest people put "Sam Underhill" into YouTube and watch a couple of his big hits. It's evidently possible to make a dominant tackle hitting low

Again, I'd suggest people put "Sam Underhill" into YouTube and watch a couple of his big hits. It's evidently possible to make a dominant tackle hitting low
Yeah... slightly out of context but still a Sam Underhill tackle of sorts but that time Scot Williams made a early dive to 'avoid' any potential tackle and score in the corner at Twickenham, only for Underhill to counter-dive and roll them both out to touch. Phenomenal play.

or Cheslin Kolbe or Faf De Klerk.

I think we are actually coming full circle with regard to tackle technique.

when I started playing rugby at the age of 4, which was 30 years ago, we were taught to tackle from the front just above the waist into the stomach or ribcage. And when you're tailing a player from behind, you go for the ankles.

it has always been the best way to tackle, and to be dominant in the tackle. Age group levels still tackle like that, it's just the senior level where they change it up because they look at supprot tackling to try and have someone there to turnover the ball.

or Cheslin Kolbe or Faf De Klerk.

I think we are actually coming full circle with regard to tackle technique.

when I started playing rugby at the age of 4, which was 30 years ago, we were taught to tackle from the front just above the waist into the stomach or ribcage. And when you're tailing a player from behind, you go for the ankles.

it has always been the best way to tackle, and to be dominant in the tackle. Age group levels still tackle like that, it's just the senior level where they change it up because they look at supprot tackling to try and have someone there to turnover the ball.
Good call on Faf. Couldn't remember much about Kolbe's defence to be honest, did a quick bit of YouTubing though and saw him take a few big guys down, although small he's clearly no mug so fair play to him. He doesn't dominate in the hit though like Underhill and de Klerk - I think that's the benchmark coaches will be using because winning the contact will still be a big advantage, just taking people down is not enough

Good call on Faf. Couldn't remember much about Kolbe's defence to be honest, did a quick bit of YouTubing though and saw him take a few big guys down, although small he's clearly no mug so fair play to him. He doesn't dominate in the hit though like Underhill and de Klerk - I think that's the benchmark coaches will be using because winning the contact will still be a big advantage, just taking people down is not enough
If itnwas enough, there would never have been a Farrell v Ford debate!

If itnwas enough, there would never have been a Farrell v Ford debate!
Haha I was thinking that while I typed! To be clear, I don't think there is anything wrong with certain players not being dominant tacklers when they bring other skills - as with Ford and Kolbe. But across the 15, coaches are going to want a majority of players, especially in the pack, who can dominate the contact without risking a red card

So, before the Japan vs. SA game, I was a bit worried that our big guys will get pinged a lot for high tackles, purely because the japanese players are a lot shorter than most of our guys.

But, it was interesting to see how our guys adopted the tried and tested method of tackling around the waist, and squatting prior to making the tackle. And in effect we dominated the collision nearly every time. But with that said, it also costed Beast a yellow card for a tip tackle, in which he clearly overpowered the runner but went through the horizontal. I'm not disagreeing with the yellow card at all, But man it must be hard to be a defender. Tackle too high, you can get a red card, grasscutter tackles are usually straight yellow cards, and if you go for the midriff, try not to tackle too hard, as you might flip the attacking player, go through the horizontal and get a red or yellow.

So, before the Japan vs. SA game, I was a bit worried that our big guys will get pinged a lot for high tackles, purely because the japanese players are a lot shorter than most of our guys.

But, it was interesting to see how our guys adopted the tried and tested method of tackling around the waist, and squatting prior to making the tackle. And in effect we dominated the collision nearly every time. But with that said, it also costed Beast a yellow card for a tip tackle, in which he clearly overpowered the runner but went through the horizontal. I'm not disagreeing with the yellow card at all, But man it must be hard to be a defender. Tackle too high, you can get a red card, grasscutter tackles are usually straight yellow cards, and if you go for the midriff, try not to tackle too hard, as you might flip the attacking player, go through the horizontal and get a red or yellow.

I guess it will be seen as a skill, another thing to learn

People have pointed out Underhill's tackling, but as a whole England have been almost faultless outside a few seatbelt tackles. They have definitely shown you can still hit hard and fairly to push the opposition back from the gainline.

Yup, there has been no lack of physicality and players being flattened by defenders. Changes to tackle rules did arguably 'ruin' the NFL in 2013 for a couple of seasons, with so much yards-after-carry for wide receivers while defenders struggled to adjust to changes to tackle technique (which they have now mastered). I admit I was a bit nervous of something similar seeing the likes of Hodge and Aki's red cards, but it does seem people are adjusting easily enough (and i suspect the refs have been less pressurised by their bosses).

All of the semi final teams have managed to avoid high tackles, it shows the best teams adjust quickly.

One thing that is interesting is that the commentators were saying that Wales were tacking too high and tackling around the waist is actually more effective. Was surprised by that.

One thing that is interesting is that the commentators were saying that Wales were tacking too high and tackling around the waist is actually more effective. Was surprised by that.

I agree. Around the chest stops the offload and can also halt momentum, but usually ends up with both guys on the floor where the tackle occurred. Around the waist gives you the ability to drive your opponent back and actually make positive ground through tackling because your legs can drive, where as around the chest means you're more upright.

there was a big period of play last night when Wales were attacking the line just before their try, 20+ phases...RSA's defense and tacking technique should just be the training video, every hit up was head down and every tackle stopped the drive and often drove it back without (unless i missed something) endangering the head

Latest posts