TRF_Cymro

Cymro The White
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Barbarians
18142.2.jpg

Owen Farrell has signed a new contract with Aviva Premiership finalists Saracens.

http://www.espnscrum.com/premiership-2010-11/rugby/story/140341.html

Fantastic player, fair play to Saracens for keeping him. He'll face some competition for that 10 shirt with Hodgson and Hougaard fit.

Odd choice re-signing Hougaard
Like Feic said, Farrell and Hodgson are both there, and neither likely to be in the England squad in the next year or so (though both may be off with the Saxons at times)

Either way someones going to be left twiddling their thumbs for a lot of the season

Farrell can play fullback as well can't he? Perhaps they're looking looking for him and Goode to split the job. Seems like an awful waste of talent either way.

Hodgson will deffo be off to the World cup as backup while Farrell is currently battling with Myler for the number 4 choice. That's the best reasoning I can think for keeping him about.

Ah, makes sense, I suppose - had my mind on the matchday 22 rather than extended squad

Another player Melck - A good player and I always said I was sorry to see him leave us here. A great squad player who could always do a job when needed.
As for 10 issue I heard before that Farrell was been tried at 12 in some training sessions

Can see Goode going to WRC as cover No2 fullback/No3 Fly halve also see Foden being No3 Scrummy so he can pick an extra centre as this time around no 10's for centre or centre's for 10.

Foden is an awful scrumhalf, the only time I can see him playing the position is when Youngs inevitably gets sent off.

Farrell is a great prospect, part of me hopes England don't pick him too soon and break him like every other damn fly-half they get their hands on.

Odd choice re-signing Hougaard
Like Feic said, Farrell and Hodgson are both there, and neither likely to be in the England squad in the next year or so (though both may be off with the Saxons at times)

Either way someones going to be left twiddling their thumbs for a lot of the season

yes, what was the point?

all England's top fly halves should be first choice at their club, so why are there 2 at one club plus a solid international Springbok?

Bath need a fly half, Sale, Gloucester, London Irish and Newcastle would all aprecciate another good fly half

the Irish rugby system, would never let O'Gara and Sexton play for the same team

it helps the clubs and the national teams to apply communism to distribution of players and spread the best players around so all the best players are first choice

yes, what was the point?

all England's top fly halves should be first choice at their club, so why are there 2 at one club plus a solid international Springbok?

Bath need a fly half, Sale, Gloucester, London Irish and Newcastle would all aprecciate another good fly half

the Irish rugby system, would never let O'Gara and Sexton play for the same team

it helps the clubs and the national teams to apply communism to distribution of players and spread the best players around so all the best players are first choice

Hodgson is 30 now, and Farrell is very young. Sarries also like to rotate their squat a lot. It means that they'll be able to keep Hodgson rested and fit, and have a quality substitute if he does get injured. I reckon they'll also play Hougaard at 12 sometimes to give Barritt a rest, and I've heard that Farrell is a pretty good 12 as well.

Looking at Welsh teams, it doesn't seem to help them either from an international stand point or a European one. THe top 2 Irish teams have depth all over, and quality players who just don't seem to get injured. When they do, they don't do very well - a la Leinster in last seasons Heinekin semi.

The comparable English situation to your analogy would be say Leicester signing Wilko and keeping Flood - 2 international established fly halfs. At the moment Sarries have a young prospect, Englands 3rd choice fly half (but a talented one), and a Bok who can play 10 or 12 to a high standard. It's not really the monopoly on fly halves that you would suggest!

Last edited:
Foden is an awful scrumhalf
He won his only GP final playing scrumhalf :p

I think he's a decent scrumhalf, but won't have played/trained for it in an age now, so don't think he should be considered as an option at 9
He can fill in in the event of a card or injury, much like Shane Williams for Wales, but don't think he could/should start of come off the bench there

I think he's a decent scrumhalf, but won't have played/trained for it in an age now, so don't think he should be considered as an option at 9
He can fill in in the event of a card or injury, much like Shane Williams for Wales, but don't think he could/should start of come off the bench there

He covered in game for Dickson fairly recently, think it was a sinbinning. Didn't do too bad.

Off the bench doesn't count :p

Let's be fair, I never said he hadn't been a good scrummie in the past (Although he, Jim and Grayson all have), but there's no way he'd be anywhere near up to international standard now. I'm also against the idea because it would mean Delon 'Best fullback in the premiership' Armitage being on the pitch, and no-one wants that. I'm not even convinced he does, the way he keeps trying to get himself banned all the time.

Latest posts