• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Favorite Commentators

G

Gavin

Who are your favorite commentators? Mine personally are the RTE2 ones which includes George Hook and Brent Pope. They always spoke their mind and never held back, even if they were asked to.

Pitty we are only going to see them during Internationals and not the Heineken Cup, those guys really lit up the game with their friendly banter and humour.

[/font]

Bring back Hook and Pope.

Im not sure what his name is but the main South African commentator, that accent is just awesome. Unfortunately the ones on the BBC and ITV are all terrible, especially the ITV guys who pretty much are all English and therefore offer no balance in their evaluation except perhaps Stuart Barnes. The biggest muppet of all though is Andrew Cotter, he commentates on everything and generally talks balls.

ahhh hookie probably the best pundit ever to a complained about english rugby

Thread-I_like_where_this_thread_is_going.jpg

Im not sure what his name is but the main South African commentator, that accent is just awesome. Unfortunately the ones on the BBC and ITV are all terrible, especially the ITV guys who pretty much are all English and therefore offer no balance in their evaluation except perhaps Stuart Barnes. The biggest muppet of all though is Andrew Cotter, he commentates on everything and generally talks balls.
[/b]

Hugh Bladen? Yeah he's good, I hate the rest of them though. Murray Mexted's my favorite just 'cos he's such meat head and always seems to be blissfully unaware of the crude remarks he makes every game. Can't go wrong with his slicked hair and pin striped suits also.

Murry Mexted is my fav...

A person not afraid to speak what he See's, Also i respect people commentating the game if they've been there done that also Grant fox and David campese love listening to there brilliant rugby knowledge

A person not afraid to speak what he See's, Also i respect people commentating the game if they've been there done that also Grant fox and David campese love listening to there brilliant rugby knowledge
[/b]

I think you meant to say - "He's not afraid to speak what he WANTS to see"

Mexted is as bad as Phil Kearns when it comes to biased commentating.

Every decision that goes against a NZ team in the eyes of Mexted is a disgrace.

He's pathetic.

I love listening to the main SA commentator (can't remember his name) during the Super 14. The guy is heads and shoulders above the Aus and NZ commentators.

David Campese is also another idiot. Him and Bob Dwyer have written some unbelievable bullshit in the Sydney papers for years.

<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

He's pathetic.

I love listening to the main SA commentator (can't remember his name) during the Super 14. The guy is heads and shoulders above the Aus and NZ commentators.

David Campese is also another idiot. Him and Bob Dwyer have written some unbelievable bullshit in the Sydney papers for years.
[/b][/quote]

Thats your opinion and your intitled to it :bravo: bravo for you, I personally think the poms and the S.A commentators are bias but thats just my opinion, but as i said i enjoy listening to commentators that speak what they see Mexted has served his apprenticeship on the field so yes he speaks from experience not like alot of other commentators that have only been on T.V commentating the weather. The ref maybe having a shocker and chances are Mexted Will say it, like it or not we want to hear what goes on while where watching a good game :D

<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]

He's pathetic.

David Campese is also another idiot. Him and Bob Dwyer have written some unbelievable bullshit in the Sydney papers for years. [/b][/quote]

Mex is known as a colour commentator. Thats his job to give contrasting views to what the other main bloke is saying. You're entitled to your views, and so is Mex. Period.

The commentators are always likely to favour their home country,however some are worse than others. Brian Moore is terrible and actually i find the Aussies and Bok commentators fairly balanced but most of you are right Mexted is a bit of a muppet.

The commentators are always likely to favour their home country,however some are worse than others. Brian Moore is terrible and actually i find the Aussies and Bok commentators fairly balanced but most of you are right Mexted is a bit of a muppet.
[/b]

A muppet he is, that's why I like him. There's never a dour moment when Mex is in the hot seat even if he's a biased fool. I hate Kearnsy/Marto/Clarkey, they are all *****, but they're just funny to listen to, oh yeah and Rod Kafer's a bit of a nob also.

In terms of quality commentators, Hugh Bladen of SA is the best, but he doesn't have that "x-factor" the aforementioned guys have... what ever that means :lol:

Hugh Bladen by far.

The man is a genius when it comes to commentating, even in the ammount of homework he does for every single match, it's amazing.

he also fell off of a balcony once, which earns him extra props.

I don't think Hugh is biased at all, he gets excited when the Springboks are playing well yes, but he'll be the first guy to tell us all step by step exactly why that NZ or English try was an absolute masterpiece, a commentator for the game not the team.

Unfortunately the ones on the BBC and ITV are all terrible, especially the ITV guys who pretty much are all English and therefore offer no balance in their evaluation except perhaps Stuart Barnes. The biggest muppet of all though is Andrew Cotter, he commentates on everything and generally talks balls. [/b]

No. Just no.

Andrew Cotter does his job brilliantly, Stuart Barnes just talks to hear the sound of his own voice. Seriously, any break in play and Barnes will talk loud non-stop rubbish right up until the action starts again, until eventually you just feel like you are being constantly beaten round the head.

Who does (Simon?) Mannix commentate for? His performance in the world cup was horrible, talk about a guy who truly does love the sound of his own voice.

I don"t know english commentator but in france during world cup we have most boring and begginers mens ! TF1 TV select football commentator for rugby

it's a big mystake ! I listen commentators on radio !

TF1 was pretty poor to be honest especially when they started explaining basics like the ball going out on the full on numerous occasions in the same match.

Personnally nobody will ever come close to Bill McLaren but I do enjoy listening to Barnes & Harrison, BBC have nobody of note bar Nick Mullins, don't mind his style too much, can't stand the sound of Cotter's voice and Butler is always looking to **** stir & not concentrate on the game at hand

Mark Robson is growing on me at Setanta but Donal Lenihan has the personality of a plank.

Personnally nobody will ever come close to Bill McLaren
[/b]

Agree totally with you on that vote Bill McLaren one of the all time bests...

He is soo respected in New Zealand that he has an U13 kids Representative rugby competition named after him

U13s Bill McLarens-open weight Northern Region Competition

Auckland.. Bill McLarens
North Harbour..Bill McLarens
Counties..Bill McLarens
Waikato..Bill McLarens
Thames Vally..Bill McLarens
Bay of plenty..Bill McLarens

Latest posts