• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Favourite 5 & Least Favourite 5 Features of our Games

HB_Glen

Academy Player
Country Flag
Australia
Club or Nation
Australia
Hey Look, someone from HB is posting on the forums :)

This is Glen Gavin, Producer on Rugby here at HB Studios and from time to time I will be popping on here to comment when and where I can.

Apologies to the person who posted this within one of the other threads, I couldn't find it again to credit you personally but it was an idea I couldn't pass up getting some feedback on.

We can make our own assumptions about what you guys like or don't like about our games but I thought it would be good to ask those who play our games the most.

It can be from Rugby 2004, 05, 06 or 08 but this is what I would like to know

- What are your 5 favourite features of our game(s)
- What are your 5 least favourite features of our game(s)

If you can't think of 5 that's fine but it will help to give us an idea of what features you may miss or not miss so that we can try to plan accordingly at this early stage of development

From my side, welcome to TRF Glen!

5 Favourite Features
*The wide selection of set-plays and stadiums in Rugby 04
*The Lions Tour in Rugby 05/06
*Liked the new camera views in Rugby 08/all-round better graphics
*Challenge Mode (could be re-worked to have the real classic players of the specific game)

5 Least Favourite Features
*Limitation of unique and generic faces
*Rules not correct/up to date
*The AI wasn't difficult/challenging enough
*Limitation of tournaments
*New Zealand teams players that can only wear 1 type of boot

Will complete the list as I think of things.

Last edited:
5 Favourite features

* Stadiums were reasonably accurately modelled
* Diverse range of stats for players
* Open Transfer Market to buy any player
* On the pitch sound effects

5 Least Favourite

* Bad Commentary ( It sounds if he's whispering...)
* Ball Physics ( Every pass is a spin pass)
* Lack of online play
* Bad rucking system ( No competition just repitition)
* Animations not realistic eg. the sidestep looks like a swerve, it slows down the running speed of player

From 06

Favourite

Goal kicking
Drop goal assistance options
B&I Lions and Barbarians

Least favourite

Not being able to hold down to scroll through players
Form and morale
Star players
Being tackled mid try scoring dive
No quick ball from rucks

Last edited:
Five Favourite
*In rugby 2004 there were a lot of options for lineouts and set plays
*Camera angles in 2008 (especially when goal kicking!)
*It was nice to have the World League where you could make transfers etc. I would much prefer it if it was more of a Fifa-type manager mode, though, where players stats changed and we could manage teams in ACTUAL COMPETITIONS! I would rather manage Clermont in the Heineken Cup and Top 14 then in some made up competition as its not quite the same.
*They are on all PC. I bought 06 for PS2 as well as PC but all the others I only have on PC

Five Least Favourite
*It takes forever to find a fullback from (for example) England as you have to scroll through every other position before getting there
*In 2004 if you ran into a gap with someone big and strong and someone just caught you with a hand you would often still manage to break through the line (which was good :)). In 2008 and 2006 you often seem to be drawn into a tackle animation if you run near them at all so you can't break through by running just out of their reach (does that make any sense?)
* Too easy. Defense just lets you stroll through every time
*The amount of competitions were reduced in 2008. We want more competitions! Lions tours (as well as other teams e.g. international teams, Barbarians etc.), Pacific Nations Cup, Churchill Cup, NPC, Currie Cup, Top 14, Super 10 could all be added
*All players stats are nearly the same as they were back in 2004

I will update as I think of more things

Last edited:
Thanks for taking the time to interact - very refreshing to see!

Favourite Features
- World League (although as mentioned, it needs to be fleshed out - I just mean it's the most compelling game mode)
- Set plays (again, need work, but good feature)
- Options for more advanced gameplay for serious fans in '08
- Option to call defensive setups in '08
- Lions tour (more tour options for other teams please!)

Least Favourite
- 'Randomness' of breakdown / turnovers
- Off-ball running of support players is always identical / predictable, and bunching around ball
- Players can't be played out of position without becoming useless
- Slow 'power-up' of kicks - unnecessary knock-ons
- Same players always cropping up in World League Transfer Market

5 Favourite Features:

• Great choice of stadiums (though shame you only had a few weathers)
  • choice of set plays (though it needs more options, make your own etc.)
  • Lions tours
  • graphics and faces. good player models and some brilliant likenesses in players.
  • wide range of tournaments/game modes
5 Least Favourite Features:

• When you make a really good break you more often than not get turned over.
  • lineouts - too easy to steal.
  • teams run in huge groups around the field.
  • way too easy, need to make the 'elite' level far more challenging.
  • stats were not particularly well researched (Dan Parks is very white)

Five Favourite:
- Wide range of set plays featured in 04
- Lions tour
- Stadiums were realistic and detailed

Five least favourite:
- Bad animations
- Too many generic faces
- No lower league teams
- Hardest difficulty not challenging enough
- Became quite boring once in the first division of the world league

Positive:
#Challenge Mode - Good fun replaying big moments from past WCs
#Stadiums - Good choice of stadiums, and they all looked good
#World League - Needs to be improved a bit, but it's my favorite mode
#Lions Tours
#Setplays/Defensive setups are quick and easy to use

Neg:
#Kicking - The whole kicking animation is too slow, meaning you're really likely to get tackled when to try to kick, causing a knockon
#The special moves aren't too great. More about pressing the button at the right time, than a strong player being able to barge through a weak tackler. Sidesteps are really slow as well
#Advantage/Penalty system - especially for hightackles, it brings you back straight away instead of playing advantage
#Playing out of position renders that player completely useless
# The ruck needs to be looked at. Turnovers seem to happen randomly, and it seems that only the forwards get stuck in, which can result in turnovers. Like, if you make a break with two support runners, then get tackled. The support just stands around waiting for the forwards, in which time you get turned over. Similar situation with the Scrumhalf, if he's off on the otherside of the pitch, the players will just stand around waiting, which can result in turnovers

Last edited:
Thanks for taking the time to look at our feedback Glen - your awesome!

1. The World League - best game type in the game. It's awesome basically being the coach with signing and selecting players through seasons. This 'season' feature should be expanded into the Super 14, Top 14 etc
2. The set plays, clever feature but needs to be expanded on, should have set plays from the line out
3. The ability to perform massive hits when pressing 'S' on the keyboard
4. The Ability to play Rugby! I'm a huge Rugby fan and Rugby 08 has given me hours of enjoyment!

1. Difficulty. It's not hard enough, you shouldn't be able to put 50 points on the All Blacks with Russia.
2. Scrums, Line Outs and Rucks are so unrealistic and frustrating when you lose the ball and nothing to fight back with.
3. The Kicks - Not enough variety and they're too slow
4. Having the whole team running after you when you make a break
5. Not having the ability to do 60 meter drop goals with Frans Steyn:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rImrI7SYtfY

Has to be a must in the next game!

Last edited:
Favourites:
*The amount and quality of stadiums in Rugby 04 was excellent
*Australian commentators on 04 :D
*Set plays
*The in-game cut scenes like players hopping up or getting in scuffles
*The licensed Super 14 and Tri-Nations is good and is important to me as an Australian gamer

Least Favourites:
*No realistic pick and drive function
*The games have been far to easy on Elite (for me anyway)
*There seemed to be more of a variety of tackles and big hits on 05 and 06 but less on 08
*Lineouts on 08. They were good on 05 :)
*It sucked that you couldn't edit players so the roster quickly became out of date

I'd take it that the loss of any real breakdown/ruck functionality has been okay with everyone then? Surely if you want this changed you need to have it on your lists. Still, if it ain't a problem...........

Thanks for taking the time to look at our suggestions!

1. Big Hits
2. Lions Tours
3. Fast Paced
4. Set Plays are good but need more options
5. Easy enough to play control wise

1. Star/Impact Players
2. The stupid ability that Wilkinson, O'Gara, Carter ECT have where they can kick the ball from one end of the pitch to the other.
3. Rucking system just seems to have no effect
4. Difficulty being far too easy
5. Not having a roster editor section, that is in Fifa and Madden, where you are able to edit stats and postions.

Favs
1. The Lions Tour in Rugby 05/06 (a must have on any edition of the game, even if it's made/published in a non-lions tour year)
2. Stadiums - Great selection
3. Animation was nice

Not so Favs
1. National Anthems should be in full
2. Mauling, seems to be a lack of it
3. On the teams that you couldn't get liscencing, the kits and logos were not so great. At least with the irish clubs you have the old 4 provinces symbols that the teams have modified for their official logos...you could always revert to them (ie, a red hand for ulster, a harp for leinster, a half bird/half man with sword for connacht, and the three crowns for munstr).

I'd take it that the loss of any real breakdown/ruck functionality has been okay with everyone then? Surely if you want this changed you need to have it on your lists. Still, if it ain't a problem...........

I think it's been pretty well mentioned hasn't it?

* Bad rucking system ( No competition just repitition)

- 'Randomness' of breakdown / turnovers

Rucks are so unrealistic and frustrating when you lose the ball and nothing to fight back with.

One of my biggest issues has always been 'bunching'

*All the players on the field are within a very small radius and all follow each other. The wingers should really stay wide on their wings, looks a bit silly when there is miles of open space.

*Defence should work a as a unit, moving up as a line - not one off rushing stuff.

*The turnover mechanism needs a lot of work

I think it's been pretty well mentioned hasn't it?
Yeah good point I hadn't noted two of those posts in this thread at that point. Although where my post probably sounded a little obnoxious, it was just more a case of me wanting to say that HB would've been aware of this issue after Rugby '05, it didn't change. It was an issue after Rugby'06, and it didn't really change for '08 either. If it appears in everyone's 5 features they'd like changed, then it really hammers home the point. Still it's up to you guys to say what you personally want and I'm best not to try and sway that too much, lol. :)

Favourites:

• Challenge mode, although some of the challenges were a little ridiculous (soccer kicking the ball 50 metres, scoring after being in the ingoal area for 15 seconds etc.)
  • Variety of set plays, though they were difficult to use, as people have said already.
  • World league mode, certainly the game mode with the most longevity.
  • Good variety in terms of stadiums, and most of them looked pretty good.
  • Variety of camera angles.
Least Favourite:

• Breakdown mechanics, it is too much of a lottery and the player has no control over whether they win the ball or not.
  • Star players, simply way too overpowered.
  • Being tackled when your're definitely going to score a try, even if you've started diving for the try.
  • Problems with the advantage rule, it shouldn't be advantage over if you kick the ball straight out, without gaining any territorial advantage.
  • Poor defensive AI.

I will edit as I go :)

Favourite
-
-
-
-
-

Least Favourite
- Not enough tournaments (particularly in 08 when the Lions tour was removed). Could be solved through introducing NZ NPC, Currie Cup, Top 14, Magners League and maybe a Create a Tournament mode
- Too easy. Once you get good at the game the opposition are no longer difficult to beat, and the only solution is to play with a weak team against a strong team, but this isn't really fun as your team simply drops the ball/can't run fast. Increased AI would be great.
- Few kicking options (chip) and poor execution (knock ons as plenty of time is required, and difficult to kick diagonally etc for grubbers), same goes for set plays
- Rucking, turnovers are basically luck
- Non updatable stat on the PS/XBox. I've always bought the PC games for this specific reason, you can use editors etc to change stats/create realistic players.

I think i am going to have to break out rugby 08 again and see what i like/dislike ;)

Favourite
-world league, i loved it but would have liked it to be longer than 10 seasons, and more like fifa like people have said where you are managing specific competitions.
- Create a player, thought it was easy to create/edit players with the tools on this website... would love to have it done in game though.
-
-
-
least Fav
- too easy, even playing on hard made the game too easy and the only competition you could get was playinig multi player, i dont know enough people to play against :D Thats why i lost the trf torny lol
- not online, to play against people
- no create a tornament
- no editing for the players, though i dont know if you can do that because of licencing
- set pieces - wearnt enough competition in lineouts and scrums, and of course rucking, though i didnt find it too bad once you figured out the holdig onto the ball button, though sometimes that didnt work.
- kicking needs to be faster, if you got a fast guy you were likely to charge down or tackle the kicker even if they were in the pocket.

ill add some more in once i have installed the game again :)