• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Favourite ref

Peat

International
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Ulster
Having watched Marius Mitrea have a pretty strong 80 minutes and thinking I can't recall him having a bad one, I thought I'd start this thread to give the refs you like to see named praised.

So there we go. Marius Mitrea is my new favourite ref. Who is yours?

(cue someone bringing up an absolute howler by Mitrea...)

Having watched Marius Mitrea have a pretty strong 80 minutes and thinking I can't recall him having a bad one, I thought I'd start this thread to give the refs you like to see named praised.

So there we go. Marius Mitrea is my new favourite ref. Who is yours?

(cue someone bringing up an absolute howler by Mitrea...)

There's no referee who's not made a howler, bottled out in favour of the home side or the perceived favourites. Garces is up there as one of the better refs, there are others who would have never had the guts to allow Japan to beat SA in those final minutes.

Don't think Mitrea is the best out there, but I would certainly take him above utter filth like Clancy whose place at the top level seems almost permanent (seriously, how many bad games does he have to do get relegated?).

I'll take the easy option....Christopher!

owens100record1920_rdax_530x331.jpg

Last edited:
Got to be Nigel Owens for me. Might have a few bad mistakes in a few games but never had a bad one in my opinion.

I think it's a no-brainer on most people's number one.
Second favourite Ref. That's a better one.

Like JP Doyle at club level, needs to get more experience at international. Also like Mitrea, think Garces is down there with the Irish refs, Owens rarely affects the winner of the game and usually has entertaining games. Don't like Barnes one bit as he has no consistency from game to game. Don't have a favourite but like most I have a few that make me groan.

As a person Nigel Owens annoys me. Seems to enjoy making one liners and self publicity to the point I find him frustrating to listen to. He also had a slight tendancy to stand near the defensive line. That said I generally am pretty happy with the game he is in so I can't really fault him.

I like Craig Joubert (cue the typical remarks), more often than not I can fully guess how he will rule which means I feel he is consistent. He seems to take a slightly hands off approach which I like.

Jaco Pieper I like more often than not.

JP Doyle, easily.

Used to be a big fan of Nige but he's getting worse and worse game on game.

JP Doyle, easily.

Used to be a big fan of Nige but he's getting worse and worse game on game.
Close to what I was about write.

Owens was great about 2 years ago but I'm starting he's beliving his own publicity and doesn't try as hard in games. He just started to make howling bad decisions of late. He still refs a good game and the winner is usually fair so he's no Steve Walsh yet...

1st - Nigel Owens
2'd - JP Doyle is quite smart and fair referee.

And the oscar goes to worst, last, simply idiotic referee, with lowest skills, ladies and Gentlemen unique George Clancy

Owens seems to care more and more about what he can say next then getting decisions spot on.

He is still a good ref but as said he has drop down the rankings IMO (well behind JP.

Latest posts