• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Fed up of soft Yellow cards and penalties?!

TobesHodges

Bench Player
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Reds
So fed up of this, I feel the sport is getting weaker and weaker at the contact zone.
My biggest annoyance is big man on little ma at the tackle zone, so many yellow cards given, when if it had been a big man on big man it would have been deemed fair.
Also players falling in the tackle and then being hit high because there shoulders are pretty much at waist height.
Players 'tip' tackling when it is clear that they have held them up and it's pretty obvious there was never any chance of injury, yet there will still be a penalty. I've noticed players as soon as there being lifted will now try and dive into the ground.
I'm pretty sure this isn't the refs fault as they are given guidelines, but rugby is becoming softer and softer and it gets beyond frustrating..

Last edited:
I watched a casual get together game, of two put together teams today... Like, people choosing to play in a nothing game, essentially... Just to have a run, to play in the club off-season.

The volunteer ref stopped it after 55/60 minutes for "lack of mouth guards". :)

In the years that I've watched my nephew-in-law from First XV School Boys to Senior A club rugby... It's got less physical. When it's meant to be the other way around. But with all of these rules, y'know..

It's for the sake of player welfare. Player size has increased over the last 20 years and the amount of collisions and rucks in a game has also increased. Concussion is a big problem with evidence linking it to brain damage. (http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-union/33686163) We can't just leave things the way they are.

So fed up of this, I feel the sport is getting weaker and weaker at the contact zone.
My biggest annoyance is big man on little ma at the tackle zone, so many yellow cards given, when if it had been a big man on big man it would have been deemed fair.
Also players falling in the tackle and then being hit high because there shoulders are pretty much at waist height.
Players 'tip' tackling when it is clear that they have held them up and it's pretty obvious there was never any chance of injury, yet there will still be a penalty. I've noticed players as soon as there being lifted will now try and dive into the ground.
I'm pretty sure this isn't the refs fault as they are given guidelines, but rugby is becoming softer and softer and it gets beyond frustrating..

obviously never been in a changing room after a TOP 14 GAME getting soft you're aving a joke son

Yeah... But what he's talking about is, as soon as someone goes beyond this:

"______________________________________________________"

It's typically a yellow card, like, they have blanket banned the entire, well, "angle". If you lift a player, and his head goes past horizontal... you are looking at 10 in the bin, even if you put him down softly, or controlled, there is no "there was really no danger in that to be honest", or "he seemed to have complete control of that situation, carry on"...

It's just BAM! Off you go.

obviously never been in a changing room after a TOP 14 GAME getting soft you're aving a joke son

I don't know if you're being serious or sarcastic, but it really is making it's way through the grassroots, and is now in New Zealand's ITM Cup, and it's in Super Rugby too. He's meaning soft, by like, you use to be able to rag-doll people with little-to-no consequences... Just straight up man-handle them. Rugby is a MANS game etc.

Last edited:
Goodness I do wish I knew what you were on about.........

Yeah... But what he's talking about is, as soon as someone goes beyond this:

"______________________________________________________"

It's typically a yellow card, like, they have blanket banned the entire, well, "angle". If you lift a player, and his head goes past horizontal... you are looking at 10 in the bin, even if you put him down softly, or controlled, there is no "there was really no danger in that to be honest", or "he seemed to have complete control of that situation, carry on"...

It's just BAM! Off you go.

I don't know if you're being serious or sarcastic, but it really is making it's way through the grassroots, and is now in New Zealand's ITM Cup, and it's in Super Rugby too. He's meaning soft, by like, you use to be able to rag-doll people with little-to-no consequences... Just straight up man-handle them. Rugby is a MANS game etc.

We used to send 8 year old boys up chimneys too. We stopped that.

It's becoming a bit silly the amount of soft penalties there is , Yeah i understand player's health come's first but on average there must be around 20 penalties per match we should be looking to keep the game flowing not stop every 4 minutes for a chinwag , I play rugby every weekend and we never have the same amount of penalties top class rugby player's do , And if we do get penalties its a quick kick to the corner to speed the game up , Saying that i'll never forget a kick i had to make from half way with 3 minutes to go in a plate semi final to win ...... each to their own but I myself want to see matches flowing.

Players health has to come first, the concussion issue is serious.
Picking players up and turning them over is a good fast track way to giving someone a serious neck/spine/head injury, there's no reason for it, just don't do it or immediate card.
There's always WWF for the monkeys.
Rugby has plenty of meaty collisions, policing the danger area means it presents a cleaner bill of health to the prospective parents to get their kids involved.

It's becoming a bit silly the amount of soft penalties there is , Yeah i understand player's health come's first but on average there must be around 20 penalties per match we should be looking to keep the game flowing not stop every 4 minutes for a chinwag , I play rugby every weekend and we never have the same amount of penalties top class rugby player's do , And if we do get penalties its a quick kick to the corner to speed the game up , Saying that i'll never forget a kick i had to make from half way with 3 minutes to go in a plate semi final to win ...... each to their own but I myself want to see matches flowing.

Of course, players could always play within the laws...

If ever a card was deserved it should have gone to Hogg for his girlie soccer style play acting I am disappointed Owens did'nt card him, we were told at the start of the WC that ref's would come down hard on players acting, why did that go unpunished ?

Interesting that. No doubt Hoggy looked a proper **** doing that, but the outcry over that seems to be to be out of all proportion. Really, a card where no directive exists, as against a penalty only given after the TMO persisted in looking again at a tip tackle? Really? Aren't we being a bit sensistive?

[video]http://tinypic.com/r/2427udt/8[/video]

Hawke's Bay vs Waikato on right now, and this happened.

<embed width="440" height="420" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" src="http://v8.tinypic.com/player.swf?file=2427udt&s=8"><br><font size="1"><a href="http://tinypic.com/player.php?v=2427udt&s=8"></a></font>

Last edited:

Latest posts