• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Fights??

S

SAIRE

I noticed that a priview on umosays site mentioned the ability to start a fight after a big hit or a high tackle. Haven't heard anyone talk bout it though. What'd you think of this? Sounds like a good extra, but who cares about extras if the game itself is crap. But I like the thinking, most of the other rugby games didn't even try when it came to extras.

Originally posted by SAIRE@Jan 20 2005, 07:59 AM
I noticed that a priview on umosays site mentioned the ability to start a fight after a big hit or a high tackle. Haven't heard anyone talk bout it though. What'd you think of this? Sounds like a good extra, but who cares about extras if the game itself is crap. But I like the thinking, most of the other rugby games didn't even try when it came to extras.
I think that there were more vital gameplay components that HB studios could have worked on/introduced then fights........or the haka.......

Emphasis has also obviously gone into introducing "big hits", and again I hope general gameplay has not been sacrificed in order to introduce such items.

Bit like real rugby really. Do the basics well and the rest should fall into place.

If I wanted to fight I would buy a boxing game. While fun the first few times you did it, it would eventually become a pointless exersise when playing the game properly. It would also lead to ridiculous situations that the company would have to deal with i.e many, many players getting banned from games and not having enough players left in your team etc.

Fights shouldnt and wont be in the game.

Originally posted by knowsleyroader@Jan 20 2005, 08:30 AM
If I wanted to fight I would buy a boxing game. While fun the first few times you did it, it would eventually become a pointless exersise when playing the game properly. It would also lead to ridiculous situations that the company would have to deal with i.e many, many players getting banned from games and not having enough players left in your team etc.

Fights shouldnt and wont be in the game.
Here, here.

Pointless and dumb.

Ya fair point. I hope that the big hit option doesn't end up like the wcr shoulder charge where the player was garanteed to spill the ball. The talk of the right analouge controler to initiate one will hopefully lead to it becoming harder to make one and rely more on timing than a simple press of a button. I don't want it to end up like WCRs effort.

Originally posted by SAIRE@Jan 20 2005, 09:45 AM
Ya fair point. I hope that the big hit option doesn't end up like the wcr shoulder charge where the player was garanteed to spill the ball. The talk of the right analouge controler to initiate one will hopefully lead to it becoming harder to make one and rely more on timing than a simple press of a button. I don't want it to end up like WCRs effort.
Here, here.

Big hits should come naturally, not automatically. You can't put on a massive hit when you're a yard away, you can put in some force, but nothing that would be bone jarring. That comes from a defenseman scoping his prey and timing it right, with pace.

Originally posted by captainamerica+Jan 20 2005, 10:22 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (captainamerica @ Jan 20 2005, 10:22 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-SAIRE
@Jan 20 2005, 09:45 AM
Ya fair point. I hope that the big hit option doesn't end up like the wcr shoulder charge where the player was garanteed to spill the ball. The talk of the right analouge controler to initiate one will hopefully lead to it becoming harder to make one and rely more on timing than a simple press of a button. I don't want it to end up like  WCRs effort.
Here, here.

Big hits should come naturally, not automatically. You can't put on a massive hit when you're a yard away, you can put in some force, but nothing that would be bone jarring. That comes from a defenseman scoping his prey and timing it right, with pace. [/b]
Yep, should only be effected if done correctly.

Should take into account relative weights of players colliding, speed of both players, angle of tackle (is the runner being blindsided for instance??), ability of tackler, strength of runner, perhaps even current stamina of both players........

fights will be in the game - doubt they will be controlled though. Probably after illegal tackles their will be a bit of pushing and shoving

Originally posted by umosay@Jan 20 2005, 10:47 AM
fights will be in the game - doubt they will be controlled though. Probably after illegal tackles their will be a bit of pushing and shoving
yeah i heard they motion captured brendon cannon and ashley harrison for the fight animations!!!
<

and mealamu for the receiving end animation
<

Mate, it wouldn't be hard to start a fight with the NZ Maori team - doubt anyone would wanna cross them either.

Hmm, that got me thinking. I hope injuries continue for the AI team over a season. And that we can play as the host nation rather than just the Lions.

Get the NZ Maori to go out as hard hitting as possible, injure a few Lions, hoorah.

Actually I wouldn't do that too often, just for a bit of a laugh. It always feels better to beat a full strength team than a weakened one.

Originally posted by ak47+Jan 20 2005, 10:52 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ak47 @ Jan 20 2005, 10:52 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-umosay
@Jan 20 2005, 10:47 AM
yeah i heard they motion captured brendon cannon and ashley harrison for the fight animations!!!
<

<
[/b]
haha good one....like they mo-capped brenda cannons face for fight night2???
hahaha....dont f?ck wit the allblacks *****!!!!

<

Originally posted by ak47+Jan 20 2005, 11:52 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ak47 @ Jan 20 2005, 11:52 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-umosay
@Jan 20 2005, 10:47 AM
<

<
[/b]
Some of the Wallabies would do well for the receiving end aswell
<

lol maybe the fights will be like NHL 2005 :-D

I lvoe EA's ice Hockey games they are prolly one of the best sports games out there

no no no team would wanna mess wit da tongans lol to many memories da welsh team trying 2 flee teufaiva stadium in like da early 80's dey havnt returned since um da canadian half back back in 99 not morgan sum other guy gettin knocked out england in 99 n yea da ig hit wit da anolog stick i think will b like da hit stick in madden 2005 pretty lookintackle wen u make it but if u miss time it ur team has juss gave up a touchdown or a long break so i dont think u have 2 worru bout da big hit thing n da fights i think will b animated like da red n yellow cards thing

Inverdale: THERE WAS A PUNCH THROWN, I THINK.

go back to replay you could actaully see a punch, or maybe it was someone picking up the ball,hard to tell with R2004.

Yeah, I remember Rugby 2004's ''Fights'' It was just a crudely drawn swinging arm in the middle of the ruck

Living in Canada I don't get to see many 'fights' in the games replayed here on TV. Is it a realistic aspect or dimention of the game that should be there? In hockey it's there to protect the better players, is it the same in rugby?

Its been preety much stamped out nowdays, the Best Ive seen for a while was that Spencer/Larkham Confrontation in the (2nd?) Test in 2004

theres was a few last year

-Levi v Harrison haha
-Cannon v Mealamu
-Jack v Spencer
-Larkham v Spencer

all i can remember for now