• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Fights??

The only fights we were involved in last year (from memory) were against the All Blacks. They were both beauties too. That one with Harrison and the Highlander was also a bit of a doozey. There was a bit of argey bargey against South Africa. It was great to see Rathbone fire up against some of his former team mates.. and that push was killah!

yeah remember the fight in the 7's between new zealnd and fiji?

the best ive seen 1 team against the otha on the front page of the newspaper in fiji was satala vs eric rush..... i wudnt take on satala cos once in a while he takes marujana and wudnt wana take on someone wit red eyes....btw both good players
<

and the fight between fiji n france in the world cup that was another beauty with mr beer belly on wheels (caucau) copping a suspension but mange copped the big one from caucau!

That was a bit sad Pot belly on wheels hitting those French cyclists (well thats what they looked like). He never took on anyone here in NZ.

Fights should only be in the game if it has an influence on the outcome. Players being knocked out and leaving the field, players being red carded or yellow carded, whole team warnings all have some influence on the outcome of the game. It is possible that you could have a system that would actually work for fights in a game but it would take a bit of work.

that'l be mad if the whole team warning thingy were in the game!

by the looks of the images it looks like the graphcs kinda look like one of fifas old games not their new games....well that came from left field <-----

Originally posted by Gay-Guy@Jan 21 2005, 10:33 PM
That was a bit sad Pot belly on wheels hitting those French cyclists (well thats what they looked like). He never took on anyone here in NZ.
btw i'd know who wud take on NZ's.....juss put the tongans in front ov em that'l be a good show..until the ref blows the whistle for a game of rugy then nz will win 80-0

lol yea us tongans are animals lol that team that was sent to the world cup was a joke if top nations like england new zealand australia would let some play for their country wouldnt been different i think at the 2003 world cup.Pacific Islands produce some of the top players in the world caucau rokocoko howlett lomu kefu george smith collins muliaina...and anesi from waikato i just found out hes faster than joe rokocoko though when i watched him it didnt seem like it......well to say all these players would be as good as they are with out the help of australian new zealand programs is another story

Originally posted by excitation@Jan 20 2005, 10:08 PM
Living in Canada I don't get to see many 'fights' in the games replayed here on TV. Is it a realistic aspect or dimention of the game that should be there? In hockey it's there to protect the better players, is it the same in rugby?
Most of the fights in rugby that I have seen are nothing like a good hockey fight. I've only been watching rugby for about 3 years, but all the fights I've seen have had, at most, 2 punches thrown each. The Spencer-Larkham "fight" was nothing more than wrestling, and Mealamu-Cannon involved one proper punch by Mealamu that bloodied Cannon's nose. From what I've seen, rugby fights usually grow out of repeated mini things, then eventually happen, unlike hockey where after one action you can suddenly have 6 fights happening.

Not that it's a 'good' thing to have so many fights in a hockey game... it makes the sport look pretty silly at times. In all contact sports there are bound to be a scrap now and then, but in a rugby video game? is it realistic? Rugby is full of tough players, but I don't think there are any players to which are known for their fists instead of their skills, unlike many hockey players...

I think its ok to have fights if their not too prominent - as in not every spear tackle etc and not every game either. Might add a bit of life to the game :/

The "fights" in hockey are doing the sport no good whatsoever. Go look at the Bertuzzi on Moore incident again. This is how one journo saw it...:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Bertuzzi stalking Moore from behind like a boyfriend shadowing his cheatin' squeeze, then jacking Moore in the head and riding his limp body into the ice, face first, as if the rookie were a rodeo calf.

And after that came the predictable sorry semantics, rote fines and suspension, and a tearful Bertuzzi at a press conference, insisting he had no intention of hurting Moore.

Of course he didn't. The neck fractures, concussion, deep cuts and bruises was just a therapeutic massage gone horribly awry.[/b]

Not sure but I remember an interview with one of the doctors who treated Moore and he said that he was surprised that Moore wasn't permanently disabled or killed.

Hockey: Pro playground for thugs.

Originally posted by Geoff+Jan 22 2005, 04:12 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Geoff @ Jan 22 2005, 04:12 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-excitation
@Jan 20 2005, 10:08 PM
Living in Canada I don't get to see many 'fights' in the games replayed here on TV.  Is it a realistic aspect or dimention of the game that should be there? In hockey it's there to protect the better players, is it the same in rugby?
Most of the fights in rugby that I have seen are nothing like a good hockey fight. I've only been watching rugby for about 3 years, but all the fights I've seen have had, at most, 2 punches thrown each. The Spencer-Larkham "fight" was nothing more than wrestling, and Mealamu-Cannon involved one proper punch by Mealamu that bloodied Cannon's nose. From what I've seen, rugby fights usually grow out of repeated mini things, then eventually happen, unlike hockey where after one action you can suddenly have 6 fights happening. [/b]
Are you proud? A good rugby fight is when the majority of both teams are involved, a bit of argey, a bit of bargey and a few good air swings. Those types of fights arn't uncommon.

Originally posted by pip@Jan 22 2005, 05:04 PM
The "fights" in hockey are doing the sport no good whatsoever. Go look at the Bertuzzi on Moore incident again. This is how one journo saw it...:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Bertuzzi stalking Moore from behind like a boyfriend shadowing his cheatin' squeeze, then jacking Moore in the head and riding his limp body into the ice, face first, as if the rookie were a rodeo calf.

And after that came the predictable sorry semantics, rote fines and suspension, and a tearful Bertuzzi at a press conference, insisting he had no intention of hurting Moore.

Of course he didn't. The neck fractures, concussion, deep cuts and bruises was just a therapeutic massage gone horribly awry.

Not sure but I remember an interview with one of the doctors who treated Moore and he said that he was surprised that Moore wasn't permanently disabled or killed.

Hockey: Pro playground for thugs. [/b][/quote]
while i can't condone or defend what happened in that incident there is one word to decribe that report... like so much of the media around today... SENSATIONALIST...

... and that is not a typical example of a hockey fight... there is normally a code between the players that the guys follow and refs enforce, which enables or permits physical confrontation/fights to exist... (and hopefully not get out of hand)

... there are exceptions to every case, just as that "example" was to hockey fights and as that "report" was to objective media

also, Mel Angelstad is a beast of a fighter, decent player and all-round good guy

The burtuzzi incident was a fluke. big guy vs. little guy.... guess who wins?! burtuzzi was wrong, he could have laid the guy out with a clean hit at some other time. Most hockey fights now are pretty much entertainment. It used to be very different 10-20-30 years ago.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
... there are exceptions to every case, just as that "example" was to hockey fights and as that "report" was to objective media[/b]

Your sarcasm aside, what would your view be if Moore had died? Let's further assume that he's your brother, and he cracks his skull on the ice after being walloped (whether within this ridiculous "code" or not) and dies. Would you still be so blasé about it?

Maybe I'm not familiar with the hockey culture or whatnot, but no sport where players can willy-nilly pummel each other, can be viewed in a positive way by an outsider like myself. The fact that this seems to be part of the culture, makes it even more ridiculous.

If that happened in a rugby match, Bertuzzi would be banned for months if not years. Look at rugby. As recently as ten years ago during the amateur era, there were bust ups all over the park. Stampings, biting, headbutts and sprawling free for all brawls were the order of the day. Players were punished in a very minimalistic fashion and fans thought it part of the deal.

Then rugby went professional and foul play was cracked down upon because the IRB realised that the thug element so predominant in the game was hurting it's image and growth prospects. Now there are virtually no serious violence on the field, with the odd exception here and there, which gets swiftly and ruthlessly dealt with (if the citing commissioners get it right). But there is no wanton violence; Does it detract from the sheer, hard and brutal element of the game? Hockey can still be hockey, without all that nonsense.

I am sure that there have been some divinely talented young children hockey players who may have risen to challenge the Great ones mantle but did not choose that path because they did not want to fight.

Boxing, K1, etc is the sport for those who want to be a good unarmed combat fighter.

Let hockey, rugby, league, gridiron etc be played by those who actually want to play THAT sport.......then we might see less children moving away from it...especially if they are very talented children.

When I was playing we used to call people who were violent troublemakers on the field "poofters"......for instance "Hey man, what the hell is your problem? If you want to be a real tough guy go join a boxing gym ya *******"

hee hee "poofta".........

there was an incident here in australia where a good frend playing rugby league i know punched the ref...although the ref was racist! ...yep we still have racism here in australia specially wen a rich side takes on an urban team (where i live)....bak to the point my frend got banned from rugby league for 50 yrs which made him change to rugby union (the light) was wandering if someone like sailor or lomu had done the same thing in league and changed to rugby would they be banned from both codes?

Originally posted by pip@Jan 22 2005, 07:03 PM
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
... there are exceptions to every case, just as that "example" was to hockey fights and as that "report" was to objective media

Your sarcasm aside, what would your view be if Moore had died? Let's further assume that he's your brother, and he cracks his skull on the ice after being walloped (whether within this ridiculous "code" or not) and dies. Would you still be so blasé about it?

Maybe I'm not familiar with the hockey culture or whatnot, but no sport where players can willy-nilly pummel each other, can be viewed in a positive way by an outsider like myself. The fact that this seems to be part of the culture, makes it even more ridiculous.

If that happened in a rugby match, Bertuzzi would be banned for months if not years. Look at rugby. As recently as ten years ago during the amateur era, there were bust ups all over the park. Stampings, biting, headbutts and sprawling free for all brawls were the order of the day. Players were punished in a very minimalistic fashion and fans thought it part of the deal.

Then rugby went professional and foul play was cracked down upon because the IRB realised that the thug element so predominant in the game was hurting it's image and growth prospects. Now there are virtually no serious violence on the field, with the odd exception here and there, which gets swiftly and ruthlessly dealt with (if the citing commissioners get it right). But there is no wanton violence; Does it detract from the sheer, hard and brutal element of the game? Hockey can still be hockey, without all that nonsense. [/b][/quote]
pip.... not trying to be blasé bout the whole thing (and was I sarcastic?), but

1) Moore did not die (thankfully)
2) I'm not his brother (tho I do have 3 and would not wish it on any of them)
3) What Bertuzzi did was against the "code", against even general moral's ... hitting somebody from behind is wrong no matter what... but that wasn't a fight, that was a dirty sucker punch and all that ensued afterwards was a disgrace

... theres no need to start "assuming" worse case scenario's to make anyone realise how bad that incident was

generally if there is too much grief being given to one of the more skilled players on a hockey team, they get their enforcer to sort it out ... the 2 enforcers from the teams will square up and do what they do, first one down loses and the ref etc jump in to split them up and penalise them... there is a specific place in hockey for this kind of action, especially in the lower leagues where younger players are farmed out to gain experience, the enforcers protect those guys from gettin mashed consistently...

I like to see hockey as it is, pure and raw, physical and skillful - no i didn't like to see what happened to Moore, but nobody did, thats a universal opinion, but it was also an exception to the rule in hockey...

comparisons between other sports and hockey and the fighting going on in each is not truly a balanced discussion... fighting is not allowed in rugby amateur or professional, fullstop - thats not the way it is in hockey, professional or amateur it exists for a reason, and as long as it follows its guidelines then it should not be a deterrent to people who really want to play hockey

... also, does anyone think that generally, the youth of today are a lot more "fragile" and would much prefer soccer (practically non-contact these days) compared to other field sports such as rugby union/league, Aussie rules or GAA where physicality is prominent and tackling is a proper skill... it was the more physical aspect that GAA offered that i prefered to soccer... anyone agree/disagree?