• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Fijiiii

Dewes
Veikoso (one of their best players from the 2010 tour)
Manu
Rawaqa (brilliant against Wales in 2010)
Qovu
Naevo
Qera
Koyamaibole
Kenatale
Bai
Nalaga (if he's fit and back to his best)
Lovobalavu
Naqelevuki
Delasau (if he's fit)
Matavesi/Nacewa (i'd go with Nacewa if he made himself available)

Speight (if he's come back from his injury)
Rabeni
? (Matawalu and Bola can't play in NZ because of military ties)
Koto
Ma'afu (i like the prop Yalayalatabua but he also has military ties)
Leweravu/Qaranaqio (depending who's on form)
Ravulo

about Nacewa, i haven't seen much of him at leinster but i remember he was a great first five and full back for the Blues, he played most of the season at first five for the blues in 2007 and they made it to the semi finals that year, even as a fullback he was key for the blues, every time the blues were without him they played awfully

Last edited:
Shame Speight feels that way.

With Nacewa I'd be tempted to put him at 10. Bai is a good 1st or 2nd 5 and that means Lovobalabu, who looks like a lovely player, could play in his best position at 13. But then they'd need someone better at 15 as well.

This blackmailing is sad...

While I do agree, Speight knew the conditions of his contract when he signed it. The way I understand it, the Australian contract system allows Super Franchises to sign a certain amount of players (2?) that are ineligible for Australia, but will be eligible if they stay around for three years. Speight was signed up on one of these contracts - obviously if he plays for Fiji he violates the terms of his contract. Speight must have known when he signed that it would remove any chance he had of playing for Fiji at the RWC. These sort of contracts really annoy me, but the moral of the story is if you want to play for your country, be careful which contract you sign!

Could Asaeli Boko be in with an outside chance of making the squad?
I know he hasn't been capped for a couple of years but he was playing very well for the Sale Jets, and his versatility (8/flank/lock) could make him a useful guy to have in the extended squad/on the bench

While I do agree, Speight knew the conditions of his contract when he signed it. The way I understand it, the Australian contract system allows Super Franchises to sign a certain amount of players (2?) that are ineligible for Australia, but will be eligible if they stay around for three years. Speight was signed up on one of these contracts - obviously if he plays for Fiji he violates the terms of his contract. Speight must have known when he signed that it would remove any chance he had of playing for Fiji at the RWC. These sort of contracts really annoy me, but the moral of the story is if you want to play for your country, be careful which contract you sign!

true, but what about the players that don't have much of a choice, they have to make a living so some of the island players have no choice but to agree and play for these clubs and not play for their home nation. this rule doesn't even make any sense, if they saying this is because they don't want to hurt the depth of their own squads, then why would the island players even be in the team at all?? aren't they still taking up positions of local players? so really all they're doing is hurting the island teams, it does nothing to hurt australia or nz.

also Nacewa and Jone Qovu have made themselves unavailable for now too

http://www.fijilive.com/sports/rugby/news/2011/06/10/21743.Fijilive

Both Nacewa and Qovu have withdrawn from the world cup. shame for fiji.

Fiji should just give up on Nacewa. He has never been interested to play since that one min game in 2003 and probably never will. I thought they realised this when he did everything in his power to change his allegiance while he was playing in New Zealand, but they still just keep calling. On the old IRB Forum the Fijian posters would post about how a lot of the Fijian community were insulted by Nacewa treating the Fijian jersey as an afterthought even going as far to call him a modern day 'judas'.

Not sure about most of their players but I like watching them :p

Latest posts