• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Finger Exercises

L

Laetca

So, maybe a weird question, but I thought I might as well ask it here (since to me, all guys seem to be walking encyclopedias of how to exercise what muscles):

Does anyone have any idea how you could make your fingers stronger? I never heard of specific exercises to improve your fingers, or the strength in them, so asking it here.
I tried playing the pianotoday (for the first time ever, so it sounded awful), but after a bit, I really started enjoying it, so I'd like to try and learn how to play the piano. The only problem is, I don't have any strength in the fingers of my left hand, I'm right handed so I'm fine on that one, but I'm already feeling stiffness in my left hand now, from using it more then I'm used to.

I will never be able to finish playing 'A Groovy Kind Of Love' (for some reason I learnt myself how to play that with my right hand, then I tried with both hands, which didn't go well) if my fingers get tired after five minutes at the keyboard.

It's an old fashioned piano, so that might have something to do with it, it's not electrical or anything.

Anyway, if you guys have any ideas (other than, squeezing one of those anti-stress puppets, I had that idea already xD), please let me know!

Finger weights. Yes, such a thing exists:

FingerWeights.jpg

This thread is a ticking time bomb! It's only a matter of time before some douche comes on here saying something to the effect of 'two in the pink, one in the stink' lol

Anyway Laetca I was in the same position when I started playing guitar, as you don't use some muscles in your hand other than playing an instrument. So finger weights won't help :p ! As they don't simulate the motion of playing a piano.

My advice would be to bite the bullet. Although a stress ball will help. Another lame way is to use an elastic band. Simply close your fingers together (like the 'prey mantis' ninja move ;) ) expanding the elastic over your fingers, pulling them together and flex fingers outwards. But that's pretty gay.

Just play the damn piano! You'll be learning and exercising

Nice 'Waiting' quote Steve-O :) I know it might attract dubious comments, but I was hoping since it's about something non-stupid that those people would just go 'my witty remark would be a bit lame'.

OPlaying the piano would be easy, if I had a Piano :p
And I don't, there's a big ass wing type (what are those things called in English?) at my boyfriend's and as he only lives there during the weekend, we don't spend a lot of time there. I 'played' it today for half an hour, trying to play 'Groovy Kind of Love', don't know why, I didn't want to play even stupider things I guess, and David could tell me what notes to tap, as long as I hummed it, since he didn't know the song all that well. I was pretty good with my right hand, but my left couldn't keep up.
I suppose an electrical Keyboard isn't exactly the same? Just heard we might have one of those lying around here.

What would be the prey mantis move? you just put all your finger tips together?

Good to know that it will be useful if I get stronger fingers for playing the guitar, since that will be my next project (I'm Spanish, you can't blame me :p)
If I ever really manage to master both piano and guitar, the world will have to be afraid, since I'd like to learn and play the bag pipe then XD

I think the 'big ass wing type' piano you're talking about is a grand piano in english.

And yeah the prey mantis move is putting your finger points/tips together. To make sure you're doing it right look at your finger tips straight on (while in mantis mode) and raise your index finger and your pinky finger as far as you can. Your hand should now resemble a llama LMAO.

You don't have to go through all that though, you got the idea.

Now tension the elastic band over the finger tips and flex outwards. Should give you a good workout. But get a stress ball as well to work the muscle used when closing your hand.

I think the 'big ass wing type' piano you're talking about is a grand piano in english.

And yeah the prey mantis move is putting your finger points/tips together. To make sure you're doing it right look at your finger tips straight on (while in mantis mode) and raise your index finger and your pinky finger as far as you can. Your hand should now resemble a llama LMAO.

You don't have to go through all that though, you got the idea.

Now tension the elastic band over the finger tips and flex outwards. Should give you a good workout. But get a stress ball as well to work the muscle used when closing your hand.
[/b]

Hmmmmm....... sounds all too confusing for me.

Finger weights I tell ya, they're a life saver and look sharp! ;)

It makes sense with the Llama thing. I'll give it a try xD
I image googled Grand Piano and that's the type I mean.

I think fingerweights would only be useful when actually playing the piano wairarapa :p Or are they cool to wear on other occasions? :)

It makes sense with the Llama thing. I'll give it a try xD
I image googled Grand Piano and that's the type I mean.

I think fingerweights would only be useful when actually playing the piano wairarapa :p Or are they cool to wear on other occasions? :)
[/b]

They're just cool, and you can use them as knuckle dusters and give people you don't like a beating. They'll look at them and say, "hey, finger weights.... cool", and that's when you strike ;)

I could just use nails and my own ugly face for that XD

They'll go 'My my, what an ugly face', and then I attack them with my killer fingernails, and my awesome kicking powers, and my amazingly pretty AND strong teeth =D

No, aseriously, does anyone have experience with starting to play an instrument (any for that matter) at a later age (meaning, not when they were seven)? All the people I know that play an instrument have been doing so since their childhood :s

One night stands...the true meaning valentines!

Every hole's a goal when your single.... Within reason that is.... [/b]
This thread is a ticking time bomb! It's only a matter of time before some douche comes on here saying something to the effect of 'two in the pink, one in the stink' lol
[/b]

Well, I was gonna say something similar but....NEVERMIND.

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/PcUnvoV_TlQ&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/PcUnvoV_TlQ&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

No, aseriously, does anyone have experience with starting to play an instrument (any for that matter) at a later age (meaning, not when they were seven)? All the people I know that play an instrument have been doing so since their childhood :s
[/b]
I started playing guitar when I was about 15, does that count? And I used to know nothing about musical notes etc. just keep practising and the strength and skills will fall into place...find all the stupid things like scales or whatever and do that to build up strength, and then practice a particular song you are aiming to learn...hell, I went to school with a bloke who had autism and was dumb as a post but he just liked playing much, and he got pretty sweet at it....

People who are autistic are often very good at one particular thing. Like painting and such. Hadn't heard of a musically gifted autistic person, a first for everything :)
Did you ever went to music school or classes, or are you an autodidact when it comes to guitar?
And did you ever learn how to read notes?

DarkmanX, your post is utterly unnecessary, it's 1st class SPAM, not short, but amazingly empty. Why bother posting? Other than stating what we all know, namely that you would be the first person to start making sexually tinted messages here?

People who are autistic are often very good at one particular thing. Like painting and such. Hadn't heard of a musically gifted autistic person, a first for everything :)
Did you ever went to music school or classes, or are you an autodidact when it comes to guitar?

DarkmanX, your post is utterly unnecessary, it's 1st class SPAM, not short, but amazingly empty. Why bother posting? Other than stating what we all know, namely that you would be the first person to start making sexually tinted messages here? [/b]

Bored.

The world's oldest finger exercise and the best ************! Not only does it give you exercise it can lessen the chances of cancer (in men only i think).

It had to be said :D

The world's oldest finger exercise and the best ************! Not only does it give you exercise it can lessen the chances of cancer (in men only i think).

[/b]

I Can do press ups with a single finger because of this

J/k

<div class='quotemain'> The world's oldest finger exercise and the best ************! Not only does it give you exercise it can lessen the chances of cancer (in men only i think).

[/b]

I Can do press ups with a single finger because of this

J/k
[/b][/quote]

:lol:

[/b]
I was lucky that at the same time all my mates were into it, so I had competition to try and get better then them....we were all self learnt, I couldn't tell you how bad I am at actual music theory, notes and the such. Just learnt using tabs and eventually my ear tuned itself....once you get to that point you can start listening to music and mimicing it on whatever instrument you are playing....and of course I was the first of my 15 year old mates to master Stairway :p

I would like to ask both redunderthebed and DarkmanX not to post here.

I don't think I'll ever be able to tote a piano around, impressing people with how well I master Pachelbel's canon :p So not sure if that would work for me. I'm taking a wild guess, you play electrical guitar, not accoustic? It's better suited for playing rock songs :p

I don't think I'll ever be able to tote a piano around, impressing people with how well I master Pachelbel's canon :p So not sure if that would work for me. I'm taking a wild guess, you play electrical guitar, not accoustic? It's better suited for playing rock songs :p
[/b]
First off one word, keytar...a keyboard the size of a guitar you can carry around while looking uber stylish...

I learnt on electric but have both...stop stereotyping me! :D

Latest posts