• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

First impressions

A

An Tarbh

So what have your impressions been of the first 2 rounds, who has impressed you most, which team has been the most dissappointing? What's been the most memorable match and which tries have made you sit up and take notice?

So what have your impressions been of the first 2 rounds, who has impressed you most, which team has been the most dissappointing? What's been the most memorable match and which tries have made you sit up and take notice?
[/b]
If I was to rank the 24 teams in order, this is how it'd look:

1.Munster
2.Biarritz
3.Llanelli Scarlets
4.Stade Francais
5.Perpignan
6.Ulster
7.Agen
8.Leinster
9.Edinburgh
10.Sale
11.Castres
12.Cardiff
13.Ospreys
14.Leicester
15.Toulouse
16.Northampton
17.Wasps
18.Borders
19.London Irish
20.Gloucester
21.Bourgoin
22.Treviso
23.Parma
24.Calvisano

The winner of the competition will come from the top 4 teams on those rankings. Ulster could cause a few upsets and make it to the last four but no further. Leinster, Wasps, Toulouse and Sale are four livewire teams who could be dangerous if they make it out of the pool stages. Right now I think the quarter finalists will be Perpignan, Leinster, Stade Francais, Munster, Llanelli, Biarritz, Agen and Sale.

I honestly can't see Ulster winning away from home much as I would like to see it happen so qualification isn't even going to happen let alone getting to the last 4.

Munster certainly have used a fair slice of their luck in their opening match but looked awesome at times against Bourgoin, who actually showed up for once. Leicester will probably need to pick up maximum points before they get to Thomond to have any chance.

Can't really comment on Biarritz as I've yet to see them but I wouldn't be at all surprised if they get a record points haul out their group, 26 is the previous best and you could easily see them getting 29.

I think the Scarlets have been the most impressive Magner's league team, despite Munster's performances, to have 9 points after an away trip to England and the Magner's league champions is no mean feat. Although having to go to Ravenhill and Toulouse doesn't make their qualification anyway near certain.

Leinster, jeckyll and hyde as per usual, if they can get 2 wins against Agen we should be alright given our record in England.

The Perpignan Castres double header will go a long way to deciding who tops that group for me, especially if either team can get both wins which would really dent Wasps' chances cause getting 10 points from Treviso is easier said than done.

Paris should probably qualify as one of the top seeds, can see them getting the big away wins in Wales and England to book their passage plus maximum points against Calvisano shouldn't be a problem. If Sale can get a bp in Paris that should put them in the driving seat for the runner up spot which could see them through.

All in all pretty good start to the competition, certainly whets the appetite ahead of the Autumn internationals.

yea im very excited for the autums tarbh, gettin the games live here so that should be good..

anyways i agree that ulster don't seem to great, llanelli throughout much of the game looked like they could tear the ulster team apart with a few breaks here and there, and not being played in the rain

leinster, gotta buck up and play some of the best rugby of their lives these next few games..

good competition so far, im very interested now that ive gotten to see a majority of the games that have been played.

The winner of the competition will come from the top 4 teams on those rankings. Ulster could cause a few upsets and make it to the last four but no further. Leinster, Wasps, Toulouse and Sale are four livewire teams who could be dangerous if they make it out of the pool stages. Right now I think the quarter finalists will be Perpignan, Leinster, Stade Francais, Munster, Llanelli, Biarritz, Agen and Sale.
[/b]

Wouldn't count out Saints for a quater final spot, one of the best runners up slots is definately up for grabs in our group. There is a big difference is class between the top and bottom 2 in the group, so a couple of teams going through should not be unexpected.

[/b]

Wouldn't count out Saints for a quater final spot, one of the best runners up slots is definately up for grabs in our group. There is a big difference is class between the top and bottom 2 in the group, so a couple of teams going through should not be unexpected.
[/b]

should be a given if Paris can win at Sale.

There's one match that stood out for me in the passed two weeks and that was Stade Francais against Calvisano. I haven't seen a team have so much fun playing rugby like that in a long while. They plyed with great fluidity, kept the game moving with some great running and even better passing, and they made Calvisano look slightly worse than they already do.
A try from their own try line summed up their attitude and performance in that game, leaving Calvisano players falling over themselves.
Brilliant.

Latest posts