Food recipe recommendations

Bada-Bing!

Hall of Fame
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Hong Kong
Club or Nation
British Irish Lions
One of my favourite YouTube channels is is fooftube set up by Jamie Oliver, but he has other chefs post videos on there like Antonio Carluccio and his former mentor Gennaro Contaldo.

The real spaghetti carbonara has been posted a few times and even a crap cook like me can follow this one from from Antonio:

Feel free to post any recipe video recommendations you have followed/tried out. Or just salivate at the vids posted up:).

I would prepare this meal back in Ireland, but they don't have guanciale so I used irish smoked pork belly or pancetta instead. Dunno if that's the usual amount of fat for a guanciale portion but damn, that's like 90% fat, 10% meat!! And even after removing a big part of the greasy stuff, there's still a decent amount of it in the pan.
A small advice I find rather useful which is not mentioned in the video: Pour a table spoon of pasta water in the egg sauce, after making sure it's not boiling hot (if temperature is higher than 60°C, you risk to cook the egg yolks). The egg yolks are rich, but they don't reinforce the creamy texture if you put too many of them. It just makes the sauce doughy, drier if you don't also add water. Egg whites are essential if you want a creamy sauce. They will help it emulsify.

Also be generous on pepper, even before serving the meal. It's called Carbonara for a reason!

Yep can't find Guanciale here in the Home Counties, so having to use pancetta as a substitute.

Thanks for the extra tips Penne Rara.

I've already seen this one but I know that if I watch it again I'll be drooling all over my desk!
Definitely not safe for work

Im no Jamie Oliver but I have become very appt at family recipes on a budget and the current family favourite is Corned beef Hash which is easy to make and tasty.

Ingredients: 2lb or 1 kg of new potatoes, 2 leeks, a tin of corned beef, Worcester sauce.

1. Boil the potatoes until cooked, dont be too worried if you over do them a bit.
  2. Clean the leeks by making 4-5 long slices from the bottom to the top then run them under cold water. This will get all the dirt out.
  3. slice the Leeks up and put them in a large frying pan with a knob of butter and a splash of oil. Cook over a medium heat until nice and soft.
  4. Add the cooked potatoes give it a stir.
  5. Chop the Corned beef into cubes and add that to the pan. Warm through.
  6. add 5 or 6 table spoons of Worcester sauce and stir through.
  7. Serve and eat.
This serves 2 adults and 2 kids and is a good family camping recipe you just need to use tinned potatoes which saves time and gas.

I'm in Barcelona on holiday this week and have been devouring pa amb tomaqet / pan con tomate / bread with tomato. They serve it with pretty much everything here, it's literally tomato rubbed onto bread, as simple as it sounds but absolutely delicious.

- toast a slice of sourdough bread
- rub garlic on one side (optional)
- take half a ripe tomato, squeeze and rub on the same side so you get all the "mush" but not the skin (nicer than it sounds honestly)
- plenty of salt and olive oil, and serve

Couldn't find a video in English but there are loads in Spanish or Catalan if you really need to watch it. It's really simple though.

One of those simple dishes where quality of ingredients is key, so use good tomatoes and good bread especially.

I'm in Barcelona on holiday this week and have been devouring pa amb tomaqet / pan con tomate / bread with tomato. They serve it with pretty much everything here, it's literally tomato rubbed onto bread, as simple as it sounds but absolutely delicious.

- take half a ripe tomato, squeeze and rub on the same side so you get all the "mush" but not the skin (nicer than it sounds honestly)

Couldn't find a video in English but there are loads in Spanish or Catalan if you really need to watch it. It's really simple though.

One of those simple dishes where quality of ingredients is key, so use good tomatoes and good bread especially.

Yeah its getting those fresh ripe tomatoes in the UK. I was in Poland a few weeks ago and the tomatoes were big and juicy like they are in Spain. In the UK they are mainly grown under glass and they are never quite the same.

I think that's the problem tomatoes won't be anywhere near as good in the UK as you can get in Spain. As an aside, tried to do an all'amatriciana using fresh tomatoes here and it just wasn't the same as Antonio and Gennaro's version on Youtube, where their fresh Italian tomatoes just melted into a sauce; not mine.

Last edited:
Toast sandwich:
1) Get 3 slices of bread
2) Stick 1 in a toaster and toast to perfection
3) Stick toasted one between 2 untoasted ones
4) Eat and despair at how you got to this stage.

I'm looking for something that I could try for Christmas. My family keeps on nagging me for contribution.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLopY4n17t8RCHa_5dR6d5GuL0YKbBxDpA
Binging with Babish. Possibly the most addictive youtube channel. Man cooks the food from movies, e.g. the Big Kahuna burger from Pulp Fiction, the moistmaker sandwich from Friends, the breakfast pasta from Elf, etc. Some look completely delicious and some are completely disgusting- or just massively over complicated. He's got a "simple" playlist I've been meaning to cook from. Personally recommend watching the cubanos from Chef episode.

Well I didn't have enough time to publish that recipe I mentioned but I'll do that tomorrow. Duck magret with an asian twist: five-spice sauce.

Well I didn't have enough time to publish that recipe I mentioned but I'll do that tomorrow. Duck magret with an asian twist: five-spice sauce.

Thanks a lot! hopefully, I could find the spices available on our kitchen counter.

Latest posts