• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Four 'Tahs declared unfit by Connolly

G

goranski

sorry 3 'Tahs - Tuqiri, Turinui and Polota-Nau all sent back from camp plus Brumbie Mark Gerrard. Know that Connolly is a bit of a hardman, seems strange to believe these guys aren't in shape, as stated in the article he could just be sending out the message with a big year ahead. If they aren't fit then they should definitely get themselves in condition yet hopefully the squad will be picked based on more than who's in the best shape - Turinui and Tuqiri are gamebreakers who usually make the right decisions - plus Gerrard extremely talented and creative player.

http://www.planet-rugby.com/News/story_56152.shtml

It's no coincidence that all 4 are polynesian, fitness usually comes alot harder to them.

Still no excuse, they were told what level of fitness and strength were expected for this camp over a month ago and they failed.

Lets cut them a little slack though fellas... after all, this is RIGHT after new years!

"...It's no coincidence that all 4 are polynesian, fitness usually comes alot harder to them..." The_Truth.

Ouch! That is a typical Aussie thing to say isn't it?

It is comparable to saying something like Polynesian players aren't as smart as white players.

I wonder though and this should really be the direction of this thread if Tuqiri, Turinui, Polota-Nau and Gerrard all have a history of struggling with their early-season fitness. It is obvious that some players struggle with fitness while other players always seem to be super-fit.

Also I think that this is more of a play by Connolly to try and come across as all tough and ****. So more to do with Connolly trying to flex his muscles then with any serious fitness issues with the four players, me thinks.

"...It's no coincidence that all 4 are polynesian, fitness usually comes alot harder to them..." The_Truth.

Ouch! That is a typical Aussie thing to say isn't it?

It is comparable to saying something like Polynesian players aren't as smart as white players.

[/b]

And thats a typical precious Kiwi response isn't it?

I'll have you know that the great Michael Jones (amongst others) said the exact same thing on that show Foxtel plays between almost every game of rugby 'Rugby Warriors'.It's pretty common knowledge (all be it a stereotype) that polynesian players generally take a longer time than most to get their endurance and body fat levels to the appropriate standards.

It's comparable to the stereotype that it takes longer for caucasion players to develope the strength and explosiveness of their polynesian/melanesian counterparts..... a stereotype that gets thrown around alot on this forum without the precious pc response.

I remember former All Black coach John Hart doing the same thing to a couple of polynesian players at the beginning of 1999,Isitolo Maka and Joeli Vidiri. Toutai Kefu also had a similar problem when it came to these kind of fitness tests.... it's to be expected.... but it wont effect their performance come Super14 or WC time.

Well there isn't actually any scientific basis for the claims that you are making The_Truth.

But to be honest if I was the coach of any of the major nations I would simply snap three or four of the least fittest players and use them as an example.

It would lift the game of all of the players if they knew that if they weren't super fit then they would get dropped.

Also at this early stage of the season you seriously cares about fitness. It's a long, long season and nothing really matters until a certain event at the end of the year.

Being an islander myself i have to agree with the truth.
Like what the rugby warriors program says, we often get bored very easily so therefore dont train very well on our own in the off season.

Latest posts