• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Gamespot Review

It's being released for USA format PS2's and XBox's isn't it? It would be the first ever for that wouldn't it?

Ah yes, it must've been. I remember CaptainAmerica's quote "I was playing Rugby 2004 the other day (by accident)" which went on to say he had left it in his PS2.

lol

seriously its so funny reading u guys tell off ppl on americans on how they shud preview/review rugby!

plus its also funny to read wat they say in their preview/review! lol

Originally posted by Gay-Guy@Feb 16 2005, 03:24 PM
Tell me......how and where did Gridiron originate from? And then after that WHY? Now that may be interesting!
I did actually read a bit on this... As you know it came from Rugby originally, but back in the days when 22 players were on feild for each team lol.

Pretty good screenshots - apaet from the France selection screen where the hooker is Y.Bruce !! SHows that the game's makers don't know too much about the game. (It should be Y.Bru )!!

Emailed the guy who wrote the preview for Gamespot, pointing out the World League/Franchise thing and he wrote back.

All in all, he seems like a decent guy and this was (obviously) his first foray into the sport, let alone EA's game. Having said that, he does seem geniuely interested in the sport. -- I guess that's in another thread, but it's true: he is now interested in the sport because of the game.

Anyway, here's what he wrote back regarding the preview:

Thanks for your thoughts on my preview of Rugby 2005, especially pointing out my error regarding the game's franchise mode. If anything my criticism of this mode would be that it is buried deep in the game's menus and is thus hard to find. It would serve the game much better to put this World League mode on the main menu screen to bring attention to it. Still, I'll make sure the correction is made in the preview itself.

He went on to say:

If anything, I'm more interested than ever in rugby these days after learning about it during my "crash course" with the game . . . Personally, I love the fact that Rugby 2005 is even coming out here in the States, especially if it gets more people interested in the real-life sport it portrays.

thats.. not fair. You guys get George Smith and Joe Rokocoko, and Shcalk Burger, and Serge Betsen, and we get some guy that I can't even name. Ah well, America.
<

Originally posted by captainamerica@Feb 17 2005, 12:58 PM
Emailed the guy who wrote the preview for Gamespot, pointing out the World League/Franchise thing and he wrote back.

All in all, he seems like a decent guy and this was (obviously) his first foray into the sport, let alone EA's game. Having said that, he does seem geniuely interested in the sport. -- I guess that's in another thread, but it's true: he is now interested in the sport because of the game.

Anyway, here's what he wrote back regarding the preview:

Thanks for your thoughts on my preview of Rugby 2005, especially pointing out my error regarding the game's franchise mode. If anything my criticism of this mode would be that it is buried deep in the game's menus and is thus hard to find. It would serve the game much better to put this World League mode on the main menu screen to bring attention to it. Still, I'll make sure the correction is made in the preview itself.

He went on to say:

If anything, I'm more interested than ever in rugby these days after learning about it during my "crash course" with the game . . . Personally, I love the fact that Rugby 2005 is even coming out here in the States, especially if it gets more people interested in the real-life sport it portrays.
thats very promising Captain

not only does he seem a good bloke

but the fact the game got them more intrigued on rugby itself, is a good sign

i reckon once the rules are known, and become reflex knowledge (ie u dont have to think about it, u know what the ruling is instinctively), rugby is the USA will rise faster than any other country that plays it.

All thats needed is demand.....and the supply and funds will come so fourth.

The USA is so diverse in unique ways across all states, anything can succeed if given proper research, marketed and run correctly.

A few more RWC appearances, the odd win, etc.......I can see yanks flocking to the Rugby field...........its a fast, entertaining, energetic game in comparison to what does succeed in terms of sport in the USA.

Come-on the Eagles - We need big ass NFL style attitudes in rugby...just for the extra E factor of Entertainment................I find more rugby players have boring, composed attitudes........I want flare, carisma, and the accent.

"Eagles #3, red card, ur off"
"oh hold up dog, #2 tripped me man, he been trippin all night fool"

yeah i like it!!!

Would be very cool, indeed.

Now, I didn't add this, but I will know after having a few thoughts on it. Regarding not needing the sidestep/fend (special moves) on easy mode etc (what he said in the preview) I told him that they would be pretty necessary in the harder difficulites (normal and hard). He wrote:

You're right about the default setting being on easy but I never found
much use for the special move commands even at normal difficulty where,
after a few hours with the game, I was winning matches with relative
ease. I imagine at the highest difficulty, special moves become an
essential part of the game but until a player reaches that competency I
stand by my original statement.

At first I thought that wasn't a great sign -- American, not knowing the sport at all, scoring with ease -- but it could very well have been him playing as a strong team verse a week opponent, or even against others who had the same skill as him and were putting their defenders out of the way. I don't know.

Would any of the others who have played like to comment?

Originally posted by captainamerica@Feb 17 2005, 01:43 PM
Would be very cool, indeed.

Now, I didn't add this, but I will know after having a few thoughts on it. Regarding not needing the sidestep/fend (special moves) on easy mode etc (what he said in the preview) I told him that they would be pretty necessary in the harder difficulites (normal and hard). He wrote:

You're right about the default setting being on easy but I never found
much use for the special move commands even at normal difficulty where,
after a few hours with the game, I was winning matches with relative
ease. I imagine at the highest difficulty, special moves become an
essential part of the game but until a player reaches that competency I
stand by my original statement.

At first I thought that wasn't a great sign -- American, not knowing the sport at all, scoring with ease -- but it could very well have been him playing as a strong team verse a week opponent, or even against others who had the same skill as him and were putting their defenders out of the way. I don't know.

Would any of the others who have played like to comment?
A friend of mine plays as the All blacks, on medium difficulty, 5 minute halves and he beat Australia, South Africa, France, Ireland and England with the scores below!

NZ v Aus - 24-3
NZ v SA - 31-0
NZ v Fra - 42-5
NZ v Ire - 28-6
NZ v Eng - 21-14

So, he scored 146 points and only conceded 28, against the best teams in the world! Granted, he was using the All blacks, but still!

I must point out that not ONCE did he use a fend/step/shoulder charge in the first 4 matches, and most of the time he just ran through the whole defence using one man! He was using the "tactic" that's been mentioned on here! When he did use fend/step etc (in the England game), he stopped running tries in because he found it much harder to get through as he tried to play it properly!!!! Confused? I know I am!

Saying that though, I played as france, on medium in a 6 nations and was beaten by Ireland and England! I hammered Scotland and Wales, but had a pretty close game with italy! I love it, but my mate thinks it's "Crap" and definately won't be buying it when it comes out in just over 3 weeks time!!!!

Originally posted by locksley@Feb 17 2005, 01:54 PM
He was using the "tactic" that's been mentioned on here!
Cheers Locks.

I've heard about it, but do now know what this tactic is. May it never surface on TRF, and if anyone is desperate, let them get it through personal/private messages.

If the tactic is posted publicly I will travel anywhere in the world to kill that person.

Anyway. why would EA include this? Not good enough at their own game they had to make it easier? Pathetic.

Could avoid when playing, but it is natural human behaviour to do what is required....desperate times call for desperate measures.

Hopefully with the lack of control of analogue I won't have enough dexterity to work it out.

PRIVATE MESSAGES FOR THE "TACTIC" ONLY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

<

Locks...or anyone?

Does the "tactic" work against a human player? Would we be powerless to stop it if somebody who knew it was doing it to us?

I need to know if I need to be aware of this. Otherwise people who know it might be doing it to me all day long.

If we are powerless to stop it unless we too are in the know...well I suppose reluctantly we would have to learn to avoid being dealt to by cheesers.

There was a thread devoted to the tactic but I can't find it now.

Provided we all stop talking about it, you won't find it, unless by sheer chance you come up with it yourself.

I say we kill it, and end any tactic discussion now.

To answer your question GG, though, human opponents can stop humans using it. Or so I read.

Enough. I hate it!

Hey locksley,

Would it be possible for you to post some more results up of your games on the different difficulty levels? Especially on hard?

i dont want scorelines... give us sum team lists!!!! please!!!!... then maybe giv us sum scorelines.

Team lists would take too long and aren't really worth the effort, especially because if you have problems with them you can edit it. We can assume they're reasonably accurate because a Chiefs player yet to debut is included (Tagicabau or something vaguely similar is the player).

Scorelines will give us an idea of how good the AI is, and how fun the games are (close games which average between 20-35 points would be good).

Originally posted by captainamerica@Feb 17 2005, 02:18 PM
To answer your question GG, though, human opponents can stop humans using it. Or so I read.

Enough. I hate it!
Occasionally ignorance is bliss, so I won't look for it.

However if I feel somebody is doing it to me and I go around in circles and can't think of a way to stop it, then I'll PM you C.A for help....or I might just knock on your door
<

The now changed article ending on Gamespot reads:

The game's create-a-player mode lets you edit a number of preset faces, but it doesn't approach the level of depth found in other EA Sports ***les, such as Tiger Woods PGA Tour 2005 or Fight Night Round 2. You'll typically take your created player into the game's World League tournament mode, the Rugby 2005 equivalent of a franchise feature, where you'll guide your team up (or down) the divisional ladder towards the top division championship. Other tournament types include the Super 12, European Trophy, and Lions Tour, as well as the Ten, Six, and Tri-Nations tourneys...and, of course, there's the World Championship. Rugby 2005's other main gameplay modes include a quick game mode and practice mode (which includes several interactive training exercises).

So far, we've had more fun learning about the ins and outs of rugby as a sport than we've had fun with Rugby 2005 as a game. We'll see if the final product, set for release in March, avails itself as something more than an interesting introduction to a game many American sports fans are completely oblivious to.

Editor's note 02/16/2005: Our original preview of this game contained an incorrect statement about the game's franchise mode. We have since corrected this mistake. GameSpot regrets the error.

Latest posts