• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Garrett Fitzgerald: "Bawwwwwwwwwwwwww..."

I haven't read that piece yet, but a bit rich coming from you with all the whinging the GP do because they can't compete with Munster and Leinster in the ERC, Toby Booth the most recent offender.

Former Taoiseach Garreth Fitzgerald there. What else do you expect from a politician?

Can't see anything wrong with that piece, getting to Thomond Park on a Friday night is a f***ing nightmare, and after all Munster have brought to the competition it's not too much to ask to not have to play on Friday nights as often as we do now.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Dec 27 2009, 02:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I haven't read that piece yet, but a bit rich coming from you with all the whinging the GP do because they can't compete with Munster and Leinster in the ERC, Toby Booth the most recent offender.[/b]

Awww, bless. Newsflash dunderhead, Toby Booth is one man and The Premiership isn't an "all for one and one for all" organisation. Much the same as the Southern Hemisphere isn't all one big happy family (no matter how much Aussies and Sarfies take credit for New Zealand when their teams are ****).

What's being showing above is the classic example of Munster wanting to portray themselves as the plucky and hard-done-by underdogs that have to fight against all odd from the oppression of the evil event organisers whos motto is "No blacks, no dogs, no Irish". Which in fairness to them, is a card they've not played for a couple of years therefore the media whores with their short attention spans will have forgotten about this old province motto.

Plucky underdogs indeed. What with the last 2 weeks being away in Italy and at home to the team that wasn't expected to be competing to qualify.

Such a hard life for dear old Munster. We all agree they really should get some more preferential treatment...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Dec 27 2009, 02:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
and after all Munster have brought to the competition it's not too much to ask to not have to play on Friday nights as often as we do now.[/b]
They should get special treatment for winning it a couple of years ago?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Dec 27 2009, 02:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Can't see anything wrong with that piece, getting to Thomond Park on a Friday night is a f***ing nightmare...[/b]

I'm not sure there are many stadiums out there that aren't a nightmare to get to on a friday night; just after you've finished work, with all the traffic to contend with and limited time to get there.
You're nothing special.

I think Fitzgerald's bleating is pathetic. I've to get from north Meath into south Dublin for a Friday evening Leinster game. Any idea how hard that is? 25 miles and it can take me 1 1/2 to 2 hours. Limerick isn't unique in experiencing bad traffic problems and as such Munster shouldn't get special treatment, no more than any other club.

I know plenty of people who refuse to go to Friday night games, you would want to leave Cork around lunchtime to make a 7:30 kickoff and that is after hours of sitting still in traffic.

Munster are frequently on Friday nights because they are the biggest draw for tv ratings, and have been for a while, they have made a specific request for less (not no) Friday nights game where possible and I don't think it an unreasonable one. Sue me.

Your requests fall on the deaf years of TV fat cats.
That get good viewing figures on a friday night? They're not gonna agree to Munster playing less games on a friday.
If you want it to change, stop watching Munster on TV on a friday. Otherwise, you just have to suck it up like all the other teams.
BBC Wales love showing Ospreys on a friday night, it's just one of those things.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RC @ Dec 27 2009, 04:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
That get good viewing figures on a friday night? They're not gonna agree to Munster playing less games on a friday.
If you want it to change, stop watching Munster on TV on a friday. Otherwise, you just have to suck it up like all the other teams.
BBC Wales love showing Ospreys on a friday night, it's just one of those things.[/b]

Is that why the Liberty Stadium is always empty? :p

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Dec 27 2009, 04:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I know plenty of people who refuse to go to Friday night games, you would want to leave Cork around lunchtime to make a 7:30 kickoff and that is after hours of sitting still in traffic.[/b]

Oh dear. That's a shame there's traffic. Still, their loss. I'm sure someone else will want the ticket instead...

:rolleyes:

P.S. As I watch a capacity Twickenham on TV and remember just how difficult that place is to get in/out of on a Sunday, my heart really does bleed for the poor old Munster fans.

Munster is in a pretty unique position as far as Irish rugby goes, they have to cater to two largeish populatuion centres. If Cork want more games though they would want to get a decent stadium.. Seriously, there isn't one stadium in the city that's of any use. Surely the GAA and the IRFU could pool their resources to get a decent 25,000-30,000 ground.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Dec 27 2009, 04:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (RC @ Dec 27 2009, 04:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
BBC Wales love showing Ospreys on a friday night, it's just one of those things.[/b]

Is that why the Liberty Stadium is always empty? :p
[/b][/quote]

:lol:
Boo, you cheeky Irish whore!
I'll have you know that we're too lazy to turn up to a match which is either fraught with quality players doing shite all or unknown glamorgan boys working their arses off, but playing like schoolboys and losing like them as well.

Lads I think ERC listen to Munster and Leinster the most because if we are all honest they are the 2 biggest money makers for European Rugby like Munster will sell-out a 50000 stadium for Northampton game if possible and Leinster I certain will have massive support in London like that is difference.

Next question is why???
Like is it that no team in GP (probably excluding Leicester) is constantly up to the high standards of H'Cup level at business end. Like Quins last year were playing magical and now look doomed.

In France it easy, Money in domestic game is much more.

In Wales the regions seem to struggle to connect with all people in the regions clubs eg Newport, Swansea etc

In Scotland, Lack of success simply.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munstermuffin @ Dec 27 2009, 06:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Lads I think ERC listen to Munster and Leinster the most because if we are all honest they are the 2 biggest money makers for European Rugby like Munster will sell-out a 50000 stadium for Northampton game if possible and Leinster I certain will have massive support in London like that is difference.

Next question is why???
Like is it that no team in GP (probably excluding Leicester) is constantly up to the high standards of H'Cup level at business end. Like Quins last year were playing magical and now look doomed.

In Wales the regions seem to struggle to connect with all people in the regions clubs eg Newport, Swansea etc

In Scotland, Lack of success simply.[/b]
Eh? Leinster and Munster aren't going too pull out of the Heineken Cup so I din't see why the ERC will listen. You've said yourself they're big money earners therefore the ERC are going to put them on Fridays as often as possible.

Also Munstermuffin, don't go bragging about the success of the Irish regions. It doesn't become you.

I can see where they are coming from, but thems the breaks. Irish rugby has done well on the back of the HEC so if they have to cop on and bow to the broadcasters then so be it. I dont subscribe the the logistics arguement either. Its part of supporting rugby no matter where you are really and you dont hear the Saints fans whinging even though it means they cant really travel in big numbers.

The home fans will work it out, as they have been for the less glamourous ties and the atmosphere at Friday night games is far superior to an early Saturday or Sunday.

I cant see the problem.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Dec 27 2009, 04:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I've to get from north Meath into south Dublin for a Friday evening Leinster game.[/b]
Should you not be supporting Munster then? ;)

Lol, I was about to make a joke about how he was obviously lying as all Leinster fans are from Dublin.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Dec 27 2009, 06:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munstermuffin @ Dec 27 2009, 06:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Next question is why???

In Scotland, Lack of success simply.[/b]
Eh? Leinster and Munster aren't going too pull out of the Heineken Cup so I din't see why the ERC will listen. You've said yourself they're big money earners therefore the ERC are going to put them on Fridays as often as possible.

Also Munstermuffin, don't go bragging about the success of the Irish regions. It doesn't become you.
[/b][/quote]
Feicarsinn, Haven't a clue what you on about???

Just stating ALL regions have had great success in H'Cup and built great fan base,

But Logorrhea, I agree with you that everyone should just get on with it but was making point logistically.

Like when Munster have a broad fanbase where it may take fans possibly 3-4 hours to get there that should be considered as opposed to maybe (just for example L.Irish vs Leinster) where support isn't spred out as much.
But I know Sky have final say and that they want big games spread as much and financially the ERC have got it perfect.
- Although Friday is a struggle they know Thomond is only fixture of importance that will sell out easily on the Friday.
- L.Irish vs Leinster (Sat at 6pm) perfect for team who will probably have biggest travelling support of the weekend.
- Ospreys vs Tigers game (Sat 1:35pm) perfect as Tigers can travel by road in Buses etc and will draw good crowd
- Saturday at 3:45pm and Sunday at 1:35pm probably 2 worst times and given to groups with little Significance (Biarritz and Stade will probably have won groups by then)
- Then Last game is Toulouse at Sale on Sunday in a game that may be for group Sunday at 3

That to me will make alot of money and ERC (although Munster disagree) have got it spot on but look time shouldn't matter, be it Friday or Saturday Teams still need win