• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Gary Botha returns to SA

S

Steve-o

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
8023d772ce724ea0b4311c97578f39b9.jpg

Johannesburg - Gary Botha has signed a two-year contract with the Blue Bulls Company (Pty) Ltd and will join up with his former teammates on November 1.

Botha (27) has been playing for the Blue Bulls since 2002 and has been an integral part of the team's success over the last couple of years before he departed at the end of 2007, after the World Cup, to the United Kingdom where he played for London Harlequins in the English Premiership for two years.

The World Cup winner played in 75 matches for Blue Bulls between 2002 and 2006 and represented the Bulls from 2004-2007 winning 49 caps after making his Super Rugby debut in 2003 for the Sharks.

Botha, who is a former SA Schools and SA under 21 player, will be playing his last game for Harlequins on Saturday and thereafter he will join up with his family in South Africa.

The coach of the Blue Bulls, Frans Ludeke, is delighted with the news that Botha is on his way back to Pretoria and said that apart from his on-field heroics the Bulls also welcomes back an exceptional leader.

"Gary brings a lot of stability to the set pieces and his play in the loose is extraordinary. He brings a lot of experience to our tight five and it is always nice to have a guy in your pack that has the respect of his peers. Gary is also a great leader and as a team player par excellence I am looking forward to welcome him back at the Bulls."

Botha said on Thursday from London that he is extremely excited about his new term with the Bulls, but he added that he had a great time in London.

"I have learned a tremendous lot over the last two seasons and would like to plough back what I have picked up. The game is different in the northern hemisphere and it was good to experience something of it, but I can't wait to pull on the Bulls jersey.

"I am a Blue Bull through and through, I've been playing for the Union since I was 12, and what we've got at Loftus is certainly something very special. The Bulls truly are a family and I undoubtedly missed that.

"I will be arriving in the country on Wednesday with my rugby boots and I am fit and eager to play"[/b]
Source

Good news for Bulls and Springbok rugby. We got some crazy depth at hooker these days!

It was reported a couple of weeks ago by Gerry Thornley in the Irish Times that Botha wanted the hell out of Harlequins for obvious reasons and was offered a contract by Ulster. The IRFU vetoed Ulster's move for a non-Irish qualified hooker to replace the injured Rory Best.

Yeah I heard he wasn't keen to stay with the Quins because of Bloodgate, also moving back to SA for family reasons.

Great news! You guys have so many hookers (no pun intended). It would be nice to see him play for the Boks as a second choice behind Bissie (I expect Smit to eventually lower his performance sometime soon).

The team dynamics at the Bulls is going be interesting. Both Kuun and Ralepelle are being groomed, Kuun is ahead of Chilliboy in the pecking order by some distance. Despite that Chilliboy has is being groomed by PdV to be the future Bok hooker, undeservedly so imo. Gary Botha will push Chilliboy out of regular gametime quite easily, making him 3rd inline at the Bulls and 2nd inline for the Boks if things stand as it is... I reckon WP need to make another purchase.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Oct 1 2009, 11:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The team dynamics at the Bulls is going be interesting. Both Kuun and Ralepelle are being groomed, Kuun is ahead of Chilliboy in the pecking order by some distance. Despite that Chilliboy has is being groomed by PdV to be the future Bok hooker, undeservedly so imo. Gary Botha will push Chilliboy out of regular gametime quite easily, making him 3rd inline at the Bulls and 2nd inline for the Boks if things stand as it is... I reckon WP need to make another purchase.
[/b]

Do you mean WP need to buy another hooker or Gary Botha?Would be nice to have him at WP, but for now it isn't necessary as WP has quality hookers in Liebenberg and Fourie + Shimmange floating around...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Intercept King JdV @ Oct 1 2009, 10:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Oct 1 2009, 11:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/b]

Do you mean WP need to buy another hooker or Gary Botha?Would be nice to have him at WP, but for now it isn't necessary as WP has quality hookers in Liebenberg and Fourie + Shimmange floating around...
[/b][/quote]

I was thinking more on the lines of Chiliboy Ralepelle...

Don't try and peddle the crappy bull hookers off on us, we don't need a better hooker, Liebenberg is great, Chilliboy can keep the bench warm at the bulls for as long as he wants ;)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Boggle @ Oct 3 2009, 05:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Don't try and peddle the crappy bull hookers off on us, we don't need a better hooker, Liebenberg is great, Chilliboy can keep the bench warm at the bulls for as long as he wants ;)[/b]

My thoughts exactly :D

Ha !
Funny then how we keep scoring some brilliant tries off of the driving maul this season ;)
I think we can do a lot worse, and let's face it Tiaan Liebenberg is a good rugby player, not the best in the country I'd admit, but as a hooker he's definitely solid, and light years ahead of chilliboy.

I actually agree with you there :p . Chiliboy is now roundabout the 5th or 6th best hooker in the country but watch him go on the EOY tour regardless of that fact.

Latest posts