• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Getofmeland's Review of Rugby Challenge

Your not alone there. Many of us on the TRF staff believed that the trailer was not what it could've been at all. If it'd been a gameplay trailer or at least had focused on showing new aspects of gameplay much more than close-up action shots, then it wouldn't have received the panning it got. As it stood, it just looked like an enhanced HD version of '08 and it's largely accepted that it should've been so much better.

With what both teams have produced and the potential ideas learned from each other, I don't think the future for rugby gaming has looked brighter.

I guess it all comes down to profit and loss for both teams now. :)

Yeh, bit of shame really, I think the trailer didn't do the changes that had been widely advertised any justice... guess we just have to wait and see though... More than anything I am jsut psyched that there are two games coming out, and hopefully more to come - not waiting another 4 years :|

Sounds good bit disappointed with how the scrum turn out when you play in the leaked vid they looked very good. I agree that more could have been done with it in that respect.

I'm a fan of (an improvised style of) running rugby, so from what I've seen of both games I can't help be more excited about Rugby Challenge. I prefer it's style of running game to HB's. Am I wrong in thinking that RWC appeals to more of a set piece, constructed play type of player?

I can't help but thinking about when I played PES for the first time in years, I had to completely unlearn years of Fifa play. If I reviewed it after my first couple of hours playing, I would have given it 3 or 4/10. Took me over a week of playing before it clicked, and if I reviewed it then - 9/10.

Last edited:
Thanks for the review can't wait for this game:)!!!!

Firstly I want to clarify some points that have been made, here and elsewhere:

- I did not play the game for 20 mins, I played the game for over an hour and half.
- I am not a writer, I am sorry my grammer and way of phrasing things is off.
- I had very little time to write this review, as I was trying to fit in being away from home and writing this for people who I knew were desperate to read this. (I played the game from 2 til 3.45ish, then grabbed the next train home at 4.20, got back home by 6, then cooked, ate, relaxed and wrote)
- I have had minimal sleep the last couple of days as well, 2 very exhausting days, and now heading into work for another long day.
- In terms of promoting games, we are only promoting RWC2011 at the moment as it is the only game with a release date
- As for the control system, it took some time to get used to because I spent 4 and half hours playing RWC 2011 the day before, do I prefer the control system on RC, Yes and No.
- Also on that, having spent the time to play RWC 2011 it is very difficult to not compare these two games when you have played them 12 hours apart.

Thanks for the informative review Charlie....I will buy both games....gotta support both parties for making an effort!

Thanks for the reveiw. How does RC most dufficult setting compare to RWC11 most dufficult setting.

Review was great and having played the game i agree with what you said the editor was the one thing we didnt get a look at in dublin

Definitely looking forward to the editor in RC, looks pretty good to be fair.

Hey lads - really appreciate the review Getoffmeland, great to hear an unbiased account. Like you I think two games will only be a good thing and I will get both just to support the genre.

One question please I'd love an answer to if you have a chance: What was the franchise mode like in RC? Did you see the ability to trade and purchase players? Can you elaborate on this at all?

Thanks!

Fair review :D :D Don't see it biased at all, can't see how the SIDHE fan boys (as in forum users, not the staff - their lovely :p :p :p) are so petty that they pick out grammar mistakes. F!!k!n hell its so childish, grow up. There we go, haters will hate :D

Fair review :D :D Don't see it biased at all, can't see how the SIDHE fan boys (as in forum users, not the staff - their lovely :p :p :p) are so petty that they pick out grammar mistakes. F!!k!n hell its so childish, grow up. There we go, haters will hate :D
Completely agree. Grammar Is the least concerning part of the review.