• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Goal from mark

TBH it's before my time and had never heard of it

Did a Google Search, got this back, hope it helps

its really interesting, my dad use to play for Nelson Bays in the NZ NPC in the 70's

he died in 97 but a few years later Nelson Bays brought out an Almanac for the centenary. the last chapter of the Almanac was a table of all their former players and their stats, games, tries, goal etc

it turned out my dad was the only person to successfully kick a goal from a mark and so there is this column running for several pages, all with 0's until dads line....which has a 1

Interesting. I think players like Frans Steyn would be frothing at the mouth if this was reinstated, he could easily land drop goals from mark within his own half, and could punish an opposition team immensely.

But I don't think this idea should come back, as it will again bring back a focus of goal kicking to score points, when there has been so much hard work put in to make the focus on of try-scoring.

Plus they will have to change the rule that a mark can be taken anywhere on the field, and not just within your own 22.

We do have to remember that when this rule was last used they were using old school leather balls that weighed a ton (compared to today) and were often misshaped so kicking in generally was harder, Jordie barret and hodge would likewise be taking shots from 2/3 of the field

For me it would mean that a team could well get pinned in their own half as any longer kick risks having a mark called and even if you can't score, attempting means it would probably just go back to the 22. Also he author is wrong, more likely to increase collisions as the only say kick is one you can compete for.

The thing is that they will have to take into account that should this rule apply, the opposition can still challenge a kick being made, and the only way to call a mark, is if it is a fair catch and the player catching the ball, has called the mark.

The chance that teams would now be using more chasers for their kicks, to try and catch the ball or disrupt the opposition from counter-attacking, could cause more dangerous injuries to those jumping for the ball. Plus, those who jump and land and wanting to call a mark, can still be demolished by an incoming tackler with proper timing, whilst calling the mark, or just prior to that.

Nah. With today's rules (drop from try line) this rule makes no sense. Chases are already at a all-time high. I dont think it will change the chase. I think it will change the potential cost for the team kicking.

I think that's one rule that can safely stay abolished.

I've never seen the point of a mark anyway. They're invariably called when the catcher is under little pressure, so why can't they just crack on with play? And if they are under pressure that just makes things more exciting, why should a defender get a free hand?

I think that's one rule that can safely stay abolished.

I've never seen the point of a mark anyway. They're invariably called when the catcher is under little pressure, so why can't they just crack on with play? And if they are under pressure that just makes things more exciting, why should a defender get a free hand?
100% agree.
Also old mark rule , the defence could advance to point of mark , so no need to stay at 10m, so marking team had to retreat they wished to play at.
Marking player had to have 2 feet on ground to call mark.
And from kick had to travel at least to the mark .

I'd like to see it trialed but with a rule that prevent a kick at goal, so you can either tap and go or kick for territory. Think it could have a positive effect of reducing kicking in the game particularly the box kick without eliminating it altogether. Teams are unlikely to try them at halfway or in their own half as the risks of the opposition gaining good territory outweigh the benefits. They still might try it the odd time in the opponents half as they do now with the mark in the 22.

Think it would reduce the amount of kick tennis as well as if the opposition receives the ball with time and space its to their benefit to not take the mark but kick back quickly while teams are out of shape. Where as if you kick long and have a good chase, the opposition can mark and take their time over kick or tap meaning the chasers are out of the game. So your better off running than kicking unless you can hit grass.

As for more collisions, as I said I think there will be less contestable kicks because of this rule but also I think the game has evolved where there are less collisions in the air anyways. I'm not saying there aren't any, off cource there are, they are just less often and a bit cleaner these days.

I'd like to see it trialed but with a rule that prevent a kick at goal, so you can either tap and go or kick for territory. Think it could have a positive effect of reducing kicking in the game particularly the box kick without eliminating it altogether. Teams are unlikely to try them at halfway or in their own half as the risks of the opposition gaining good territory outweigh the benefits. They still might try it the odd time in the opponents half as they do now with the mark in the 22.

Think it would reduce the amount of kick tennis as well as if the opposition receives the ball with time and space its to their benefit to not take the mark but kick back quickly while teams are out of shape. Where as if you kick long and have a good chase, the opposition can mark and take their time over kick or tap meaning the chasers are out of the game. So your better off running than kicking unless you can hit grass.
I agree with this take completely. Kicking should be discouraged. It's tactically lazy. Attacking running rugby with ball in hand is where it's at.

Latest posts