Graphical, Roster, but maintaining core - Rugby 08 MOD

AboutToRuck

Academy Player
Country Flag
Wales
Club or Nation
Hurricanes
Hey Guys,
Recently been playing a fair bit of good old 08. Decided to download the SA 13 mod, had a taste and have decided to start my own MOD.
Perhaps a more subtle 'vanilla' kind of mod; roster updates, kits, graphical enhancements etc but keepinga fairly minimal feel.
If you guys can point me in the right direction to the modding tools etc that would be most useful.
I've dabbled quite a bit in 3D art/graphics so we'll see how this goes.
Will provide regular updates.

Hey man, thats awesome if you can i'm sure there is a few of us who would help you.

Look around in the Rugby 08 section as there is plenty threads for tutorials in modding the game the two i would highly look at are:
- http://www.therugbyforum.com/thread...o-edit-players-teams-on-Woosaahs-Rugby-Editor
- http://www.therugbyforum.com/threads/33722-Dan-s-Mods-How-to-make-HD-kits-in-Rubgy-08

there should be some stuff in this group here which you would be able to join: http://www.therugbyforum.com/group.php?groupid=70

The basic tools/programs which you should definitely need for modding is:
- Photoshop (which i'm sure you would have)
- Wossah Rugby Editor
- bigGUI
- FshED (also download the graphics importer for it)

and that should get you heading in the right direction all the download link's for these programs/tools should be found here http://mjc-studios.weebly.com/modding-rugby-08.html

Hope i helped you out, if you have any questions be sure to ask here or private message me and i'll try to get back to you as soon as i can.

Plus there is also a Modding Questions thread so if your about to ask me something be sure to check the questions asked here: http://www.therugbyforum.com/threads/37012-Modding-Questions

Cheers Scotty for sharing the resources!
I'll have a go at a quick kit mockup now, just to see how time consuming it is.

Importing the kits takes the most time, especially the back kits. If your photoshop skills are as good as I believe, you'll be making updates in no time

0XPm5sI.png

Just gave the Wales 2015 Kit a try, took around half an hour which isn't too bad. It's previewed on the flat collared kit, which I don't think is quite right. Nonetheless it didn't take too much time and I don't really want to spend much more on it!
In hindseight, what I need to do is import kits from the '13 mod so I have some new reference material / easy edits.
Haven't tried the importation process yet... I can see it being time consuming

Has anyone here played Rugby 11, or 15? How do they compare gameplay wise to 08?

0XPm5sI.png

Just gave the Wales 2015 Kit a try, took around half an hour which isn't too bad. It's previewed on the flat collared kit, which I don't think is quite right. Nonetheless it didn't take too much time and I don't really want to spend much more on it!
In hindseight, what I need to do is import kits from the '13 mod so I have some new reference material / easy edits.
Haven't tried the importation process yet... I can see it being time consuming
Great first kit!, looks nice. :)

- - - Updated - - -

Has anyone here played Rugby 11, or 15? How do they compare gameplay wise to 08?
I only played Rugby 11 (if you mean the world cup edition) it is similar to rugby 08 in my opinion but with only the rugby world cup teams. Rugby 15 though even though i haven't played (and i dont tend to) looks way different and worst in my opinion.

Ah Rugby 06 was by far my favourite version of the game. Rugby 08 was good, but Rugby 06 was just better if you ask me. I wish I still had the mods I had created for Rugby 06/08
I may still on my old computer have these mods
Woldog's tattoo mod
Woldogs complete roster update - Probably last update was 2012 tho.
Woldog's real faces mod
I can have a look if you are interest in any. I can tell you I achieved the tattoo mod by finding the glove texture, and assigning a unique tattoo for each skin colour type and removing the glove.

Really good for your first try? It took a lot more than half an hour to make mu first kit.

Ah Rugby 06 was by far my favourite version of the game. Rugby 08 was good, but Rugby 06 was just better if you ask me. I wish I still had the mods I had created for Rugby 06/08
I may still on my old computer have these mods
Woldog's tattoo mod
Woldogs complete roster update - Probably last update was 2012 tho.
Woldog's real faces mod
I can have a look if you are interest in any. I can tell you I achieved the tattoo mod by finding the glove texture, and assigning a unique tattoo for each skin colour type and removing the glove.
The one highlighted would be interesting to see if you can find that. MJC Studios also has a tattoo mod. Geostar has a roster update for this year (very close to finishing).

@Woldog I would be very interested if you could find any of those mods! Not too bothered by the tattoos, personally I think it would take too long to implement due to massive variety and uniqueness of tattoos. It would be pretty sweet for pacific island and other traditional tattoos though.

If you could find the real faces mod and the roster update it would be much appreciated!

Last edited by a moderator:
I am fairly sure MJC Studios' tattoo mod is just my mod that they've ripped from here.

Haven't given up on this guy's, just very busy with uni! Does anyone have any Tuts for changing up the menu etc?

Think he's referring to all those backgrounds at startup, main menu, tournament menu, etc.

If you have the rugbygob file it will be much easier for you to find the background files, I think you have to edit your image a certain way coz I tried simply re sizing a image to that of the background and replace it with mine, the game would crash or the old background would appear. Try extracting 1 of the background to see its outlay.

Does anyone have a comprehensive file list?
Would really appreciate it as it saves so much time.
I have all the mini kits, international home and away kits, and stadiums. If anyone has the lists for european and S15 etc, and the background graphics it would help so much!

Nh0Fz1m.png

iQjeSXg.jpg

9SxpHSk.png
HmT5otd.png

An ingame preview and the minikits

//EDIT
Just to note, I know the kits aren't 100% accurate.
The "Admiral" should be gold in the Away kit / The shoulder stripes aren't quite right / Don't know what font they used for the number or placement or whether it was gold on the away kit - so I just went with a generic option.
Havent worked out how to change the collars yet - Guessing it might be in the config file packed with the FSH?

Does anyone have the file ID for the turf?
I've been looking at updating the crowd - really just a clearer res, are there any issues with this? e.g. changing from 128*512 to 256*1024.

//EDIT2
I've looked at having the team logo behind the (mini) kit - and having the shorts with shirt etc - all looked a little too cluttered to me so I just sticked with the single shirt. Thoughts on the mini kit?

Last edited:

Latest posts