• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Greetings from Texas

Doug Earnest

Academy Player
Country Flag
United States
Greetings, everyone. My name is Doug, I live near Tyler Texas, and only recently (three years ago?) did I discover Rugby - and I've been obsessed from that moment onward. I don't need to rave about it here, because if you're here, then you already know, right?

As far as I can tell from the USA Rugby web site, the closest clubs to me are in Dallas and Shreveport. Too far. I think LeTourneau University has a Rugby Club which I have yet to check out. It would be nice to be able to support a local team, follow their progress, etc.

Does anyone know of any thing else in my neck of the woods? If not, I think I'll have to start my own club.

Welcome aboard!
I know nothing about club rugby in the states, so can't help you on that front.
Always good to have another American member though.

Thanks for the welcome, and especially for your mention of American members.

I know there's a lot of trash talk in any sport, but the thing that sets Rugby apart in my mind is the respect factor the others seem to lack. Yeah, Rugby is relatively unknown in most of this country, and therefore we can't play as well as those places where barefoot three year old kids start kicking around coconuts or rocks. Still, there's hope -- as more and more people come to the knowledge that there's a more awesome alternative to the multibillion-dollar industry they call American "football".

Thanks for the welcome, and especially for your mention of American members.

I know there's a lot of trash talk in any sport, but the thing that sets Rugby apart in my mind is the respect factor the others seem to lack. Yeah, Rugby is relatively unknown in most of this country, and therefore we can't play as well as those places where barefoot three year old kids start kicking around coconuts or rocks. Still, there's hope -- as more and more people come to the knowledge that there's a more awesome alternative to the multibillion-dollar industry they call American "football".

We also mix our cement in a giant pelican.

No wait. Nope. I also confuse the Pacific Islands with episodes of the Flintstones :p.

Welcome aboard. Can't say I know an awful amount about local USA rugby; however I recall some other members from Texas being active in the USA threads so worth contacting one of those members.

Last edited:
Hello again and thanks for the welcome/comments. Sorry this took so long to acknowledge, but I somehow got distracted for a bit.

Frandollow, I don't believe I've ever spoken with anyone (even online) from Bangladesh. Any time you want to chat, just tell me and we can talk about Rugby or whatever. I might become America's leading authority on rugby in Bangladesh.

And TRF, thanks for not taking offense to the rocks and coconuts comment, it was said with the utmost respect for Pacific Islanders who are ... well ... awesome rugby players. If I had it to do over again, I would have run away from home (at age 3) and gone someplace where I could have started playing rugby.

Latest posts