Votes: 16 100.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

johninspain

Academy Player
Country Flag
Spain
Noticed a few pros not haveing them in today. I cant ware one as it makes me gag. Do you ware one ore not ?

I didnt before as I couldnt due to braces now I have a special one for braces I do I'd rather struggle to talk with it in than possibly loose teeth

Pros do wear them, they just take them out if they're standing around/there's a break in play

I personally use the Ultra STC boil and bite by Shock Doctor. I'm a League man so a gumshield is a must, despite playing... *cringe*... union at the moment.

A League player and a Catalans fan...I approve! :p

I use an OPRO gumshield (gold, I think?) - Best i've ever used, fits very snugly for a boil and bite
Had a Shockdoctor for a while too, not bad, but preferred the Opro

A League player and a Catalans fan...I approve! :p

I use an OPRO gumshield (gold, I think?) - Best i've ever used, fits very snugly for a boil and bite
Had a Shockdoctor for a while too, not bad, but preferred the Opro

Yes, I was a League nomad for years until I switched codes recently. As far asEuropean Rugby goes, I actively follow the Catalans and Toulouse although the former has a special place in my heart for obvious reasons.

What do you prefer about the OPRO? I've heard that some people have a tough time fitting Shock Doctor. Was that the problem?

I didn't like how the (or at least, my) Shock Dr was a plastic (or harder rubber) shell filled with the green rubber putty stuff, and I found that the plasticy shell, over time, went back to it's original shape so I had to keep reforming it,
I just generally like the feel of the OPRO better as well, and it doesn't fall out when I open my mouth which is a bonus (the gumshield itself is a bit deeper, so moulds to your mouth more)

I had an oporo it was class but i cant buy nice gumshields as I just chew them to bits :/

Yeah opro is probably the best brand I've worn - shock doctor are pretty good as well though, never had any complaints with them! I'd always wear one though, feel really conscious of it if I'm not and it really distracts me. A tip if they make you gag is to trim it down with some scissors so it only reaches about halfway down to your farthest back tooth. A bit hard to explain but it worked for me when I used to gag a lot from them!

I have an opro orthodontist version (as mentioned before) was really easy to form and fits snugly its quite big but thats down to it needing to go over braces mroe than anything but as others ahve mentioned Opro Silver and Golds (have used before this ortho is gold + extra room) are really nice

I'm pretty sure they are required by IRB laws to have a mouthguard at any level higher than under 12s.

I've played winger for 8 years and never had a mouthguard.

Swapped to lock when I started playing again and bought one next day as my teeth sliced my cheek to shreds in contact. Guess it all depends what position you play.

I've never actually come across anyone who doesn't wear one
It's a no-brainer for me: Would I rather wear one and have the slight inconvenience of having to take it out to talk properly or have my teeth knocked out?

also gum shields apart from keeping your teetch in your skull also vastly reduce the risks of concussion
I am not sure about them being madatory for senior levels

Having a quick scan of the rules/laws on the IRB site it doesn't seem to mention them, being mandatory or otherwise
However I imagine in the pro-game (for insurance/health and safety reasons) players have to wear them

I know QRU laws make anyone who's playing over under 12's wear one.

I hate the stuff and would rather get cuts every now and then than gag the whole game long.

Latest posts