• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Halloween/Bonfire Night

They're a bit dark, but presenting Dick 'Teh Mite' Turpin!

LGIM0319.jpg

LGIM0317.jpg

LGIM0316.jpg

LGIM0314.jpg

And doing it all again tonight...

me and my mates ****** about. we caused traffic jams by breakdancing in the middle of the streets :lol:

I enjoyed it. Although I pitied the idiots on the dancefloor in bannana suits. Must have been sweaty f***ers.

n508423425_951397_5408.jpg

As for Bonfire Night, why shouldn't we celebrate getting one over those pesky catholics. O wait... *remembers Father O'Brien's presence on family christmas card list...*

Yeah I love Hallowe'en, not so much bonfire night but then again I'm not British so I'll go with the Irish feast instead. Good night actually but got absolutely soaked trying to get home, feckin' taxis not stopping.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Nov 1 2008, 08:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Oct 31 2008, 11:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bonfire night is an anti-papist, pro-royalist, unionist, up yours Jonny Foreigner, type of celebration thingy.[/b]

shtove once again displays a complete lack of any knowledge about the UK. Well done.
[/b][/quote]
Please, put me right where I go wrong ... Dick!

Bonfire night in the UK part of Ireland is certainly all about that - tractor tyres and industrial pallets piled up like the wicker man. In the south, bonfires are mostly for welcoming home champion sports teams. We no longer toast protestants - they never tasted good anyway.

It's pretty much just another excuse to get drunk here (from what I can gather anyway). I dressed up, went out and did just that on Friday night.

Yeah I've noticed Halloween is turning into a good excuse for a pissup, though maybe that's just because it was on a friday this year.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Nov 2 2008, 12:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Nov 1 2008, 08:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Bonfire night is an anti-papist, pro-royalist, unionist, up yours Jonny Foreigner, type of celebration thingy.[/b]

shtove once again displays a complete lack of any knowledge about the UK. Well done.
[/b][/quote]
Please, put me right where I go wrong ... Dick![/b][/quote]

******** is it. What exactly did the gunpowder plot have to do with foreigners or royalists?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Nov 2 2008, 12:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Nov 2 2008, 12:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]
Please, put me right where I go wrong ... Dick![/b][/quote]

******** is it. What exactly did the gunpowder plot have to do with foreigners or royalists?
[/b][/quote]

I think he means in NI where they'll use any excuse to **** of the catholics & vice versa.

Also, I think Guy Fawkes was Spanish.

He was a Roman Catholic born in York. I suppose the locals from that part of England are cock-proud enough to make it the effect, but he wasn't foreign.

I think he was of Dutch descendancy. All immaterial anyway - he was a very naughty man!

To settle the guy Fawkes debate,

He was born in York in 15th april 1570 in Stonegate, Yorkshire and died 31 Jan 1606 in Westminster, after school he joined the spanish army with a cousin of his and went to Flanders to fight. he took a favorite to gunpowder and "blowing stuff up"

the plot did have both strong Relgious and Royal infuences, yes puritons and chotics where at war, and not many people liked James I

So there :D

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Nov 2 2008, 12:20 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

[/b][/quote]
Please, put me right where I go wrong ... Dick!

Bonfire night in the UK part of Ireland is certainly all about that - tractor tyres and industrial pallets piled up like the wicker man. In the south, bonfires are mostly for welcoming home champion sports teams. We no longer toast protestants - they never tasted good anyway.
[/b][/quote]

Actually, you're both right and both wrong at the same time.

The problem is that people in Ireland see the huge bonfires in Belfast and effigies of Mary McAleese, the Pope and Gerry Adams (actually, Fianna Fáil wouldn't object to burning Adams on a bonfire in all honesty) and get completely the wrong idea. What happens there is a version of Bonfire night distorted by the local sectarian tensions.

Bonfire Night is a celebration of what was a very important date in British history where an attempt to blow up the Houses of Parliament and the Scottish (and rampantly homosexual as his "dear Steenie" would attest) King James I and create a power vacuum into which a Catholic monarch and Parliament could be created.

The fact that the King was there is irrelevant as the real target was the large body of hard line Protestant MPs, Lords and Clergy which made up the bulk of the Protestant English and Scottish power base at the time. Kill a majority of them and you effectively kill off attempts to complete the Reformation.

The attack therefore was actually on Parliament and the power of Parliament to effectively rule the country and set the popular agenda. If the explosion had taken place, even if it failed in its objective to kill the King, and the majority of the Clergy and political elite, the impact it would have had on the country would have been so incredible that an uprising in the then Catholic East Anglia and North of England would have been very likely.

After the event, the plotters were tracked down and after a set of show trials were disposed with well enough for the age. But this was in a time where heads on pikes were a regular occurrence from Galway all the way to Danzig. In Jacobean Britain, let alone 17th cenutry Europe, there was no such thing as a fair trial or even a painless form of execution. Also, keep in mind that while there was a Catholic backlash after the event, the same persecution of Protestants took place under Queen Mary. *** for tat was all the rage durin the Reformation so it is safe to say that both sides are guilty for stoking the fires which burnt across the British Isles in that period.

The act of bonfires is often misconstrued as a savage reminder of the various burnings of martyrs of both parts of the Christian church. Actually, this is wrong as the act of lighting bonfires as an act of celebration was a firm part of English and Saxon culture long before anyone starting burning anything at the stake. It has been suggested that the use of bonfires to celebrate can be traced right back to Roman Britain by the Celtic tribes in England at that time.

Usually in fact, the bonfire would be used to roast various meats as part of a feast and sometimes this could have political connotations. For example, when the Rump Parliament was finally deposed prior to the return of Charles II, diarist Samuel Peyps observed Londonders celebrating en masse up and down the banks of the River Thames, lighting bonfires and roasting rumps of beef to be eaten in a feast to celebrate the end of the Puritan tyranny visited upon Britain at that time.

Depending on the region, Bonfire Night is used as an opportunity to celebrate other parts of British history at that time. Lewes for example celebrate the passing of the 17 Protestant Martyrs of the Marian Persecutions by Queen Mary. In fact, the County of Sussex is home to a whole number of "Bonfire Societies" who each present a different procession through Lewes on the night. This reflects how Bonfire night used to be celebrated across the country with each Bonfire Society celebrating a regional variation of the celebration. Devon for example sometimes celebrates its heritage for making tar by parading burning barrells of tar through the streets. Far from being a poke at the Pope, many of these variations have roots in Pagan traditions.

So, to summarise, far from being an anti-papist, pro-royal and bigoted anniverssary, Bonfire night is a chance to learn about Britain's turbulent past and execise the right to enjoy one of its oldest cultural celebrations: that of fire!

Latest posts