• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Hammett Quits The Blues

I'm un/happy to admit I have no idea what the hell is going on with the Blues atm.
The game today vs Treviso was farcical. It looked like schoolboy football. Everyone run forward, and we'll have 'goalie nearest'. (sorry for those no familiar with football terms - goalie nearest is 'the person nearest the goals can catch it', or in this case, play fullback)

They need John and McIntosh to go. A complete cleanout.
Let the new coach get in now and write this season off. Discard the useless squad fodder and focus on recruitment and development for next season. Hammett had to deal with Fail Davies' reject squad/signings and had barely any time to put thing in place.

Who could take over?
I think one would be Mark Anscombe, I heard he was linked to Cardiff during the Fail Davies regime, and could also be possible with Gareth there now..

Ospreys and Newport need new coaches while we are at it... Who would have guessed the best Welsh coach is Dai Young?!?

Feel bad for Hammett, seems a nice genuine guy that really wanted to make the Blues the leading Welsh region. Performances have been mixed at best but it did seem like they were developing in some areas and I was really hoping they'd adopt a true super rugby style of play. If it's all true I hope he's happy returning to NZ.

As for the Blues, it's so frustrating being a fan as they should be the 'poster boy' of Welsh rugby and they're anything but. Honestly think it needs a reshuffle on every conceivable level. I really hope it can happen but if it gets any worse they're going to be losing even more fans. Trying my best to be optimistic and stick behind the team as they have some great players and Cardiff is very dear to my heart, but watching them is a painful, painful experience.

Mark Anscombe would be an interesting replacement! The other coaches need to go though I think, as said above.

And speaking o Anscombes, hope Gareth's injury was only slight - really hoping to see him in a Wales Jersey before the end of the six nations!

Last edited:
I think the board hired Hammett with good intentions this time around, with a real hope of giving him the three years to develop a team. It just hasn't worked thus far for him and it sounds like his family were also struggling to settle, which would have also been getting in the way. I would have been happy with the Hammer to continue with a change of coaches underneath him.

The announcement comes at a very poor time, where the Blues were inconsistent anyway. Finding someone now who understands the NH game would be preferable, but who would want to take this mammoth task at the moment?

As much respect as I have for John and the Chief, it is clear that they are not at regional standard yet. The defence of the past two-three years has been very poor for the Blues and it continues to be the team's major Achilles heel. It has been hard to be a Blues supporter ever since the exodus of 15 top players and Dai Young.

I think the board hired Hammett with good intentions this time around, with a real hope of giving him the three years to develop a team. It just hasn't worked thus far for him and it sounds like his family were also struggling to settle, which would have also been getting in the way. I would have been happy with the Hammer to continue with a change of coaches underneath him.

The announcement comes at a very poor time, where the Blues were inconsistent anyway. Finding someone now who understands the NH game would be preferable, but who would want to take this mammoth task at the moment?

As much respect as I have for John and the Chief, it is clear that they are not at regional standard yet. The defence of the past two-three years has been very poor for the Blues and it continues to be the team's major Achilles heel. It has been hard to be a Blues supporter ever since the exodus of 15 top players and Dai Young.

Hammett's leaving for personal reasons. He couldn't be blamed for the shambles of a squad he inherited from Phil Davies, any next coach they have needs at least 2 seasons to be judged fairly.

Think if Hammett goes you got to allow the new coach to decide if Chief and Little John are the men to help coach. Under the Chief the defence hasn't been great and to be honest I dunno what coach will touch the Blues as they are.

Hammett's leaving for personal reasons. He couldn't be blamed for the shambles of a squad he inherited from Phil Davies, any next coach they have needs at least 2 seasons to be judged fairly.

I know, I didn't say he wasn't, and I agreed with you that I wanted him to stay. I was just making the point that what he has been doing has not been consistent or has not led to any progress thus far. The constant team changes have been puzzling and their has been some major tactical errors at times.

I feel Hammett was finding his feet in the NH game, but he had two coaches underneath him who are out of their depth. I would have liked him to stay and the circumstances are unfortunate.

I agree with Hulkster, taking this job at the moment would be crazy.

I think whether the Chief and Paul John get the role permanently will come down to the European game against the Dragons. I personally agree with Bluemoon that they are not up to regional standard. The defense has been poor. It is a real shame because I thought Hammett was a breath of fresh air and could have improved the Blues significantly if he had the time.

Latest posts