• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Hands in Ruck!!!! and Rucking.

L

lionmaul

On the xbox I have found that it DOES NOT matters that you press the join button like a maniac, this is not the best solution to turn the ball over. You MUST first put the correct defense wide, tight, ect. If you choose the correct one you will have a better chance at turning the ball over. Then you must add players in a timely fashion, that not always = fast, you have to use your insticts. "Lots of thought needs to go into defense, maybe even more then offense" you have to know when to put lots of players into a ruck and when to back of and crunch them on the next phase. And to get to the juicy part, WATCH THE MOMENTUM BAR, IF YOUR MOMENTUM BAR HITS FULL COLOR, OR 90% COLOR HIT THE HANDS IN RUCK BUTTON VERY VERY VERY QUICKLY AND I KID YOU NOT I HAVE BEEN TURNING THE BALL OVER 70% OR MORE OF THE TIME, IT IS ALL TIMING!!!!!!!!
Another tip is when you tackle the oppenent, as quickly as you press the join button hit the change player button 2 times, what this does it gets your change player icon further out of the ruck, and this is important so that you can add the player to the ruck and the player you are controlling is not standing around blocking your computer player from joining. Another tip is when you do attempt a hands in ruck try to not do it in front of your own goal line, wait until it is off to the side or further down field, so that if you do get penalize it will not turn into an instant 3 points.
<
And last tip watch the momentum meter if ther momentum is very high it will be more difficult to turn the ball over, that is why you normally have a better chance of turning it over after big hits or early in the first couple of phases before they get a chance to build of a head of steam.
Cheers and Salu
PS. I still would like a little more control in 2006.
<

Problem with these tips is that we still do not know the true programming of what causes what..............most of our theories are not 100% certain.

Only the programmers know EXACTLY what causes a turnover at certain points in a game...........for us.......we are only making deductions..........

good stuff lionmaul but...
i think it just isn't instictive or clear enough and doens't work as a game play feature-for me

knowing how much of a lover of rucks mauls you are how about:

a seperate screen appears inside the main screen where you haveto work for the ball at the breakdown - ea used this in fifa a couple of years ago to allow your players to jostle for position at corners but it didn't quite work - perhaps a similar mechanic could be utilised here?

similar feature to above for mauls. why hasn't anyone made mauls you can truly drive and move - a rolling maul, ea2004/5 peeling off rucks was a bit of a lame half hearted effort really

referee (ala rl1) hear the referee calling hands of red (what ever your team colour is) and either stop or get pinged

there needs to be a clear line of what you can and can't do - if you are on your feet and the first man there then you should be able to turn ball over (mccaw smith etc do it even faster) if its not that then you are slowing it down with illegal hands and should be penalised. but as it is it feels random and might as well not be part of the game - imo

someone needs to develop a system where rucks are more interactive.
have options of bridging if you're in real trouble or a total clean out when you have momentum.
pop balls off the ground would be awesome but has to be timed.
and of course pilfering the ball should only work with certain players but also depend on how many players in the ruck, forwards and backs ratio etc.
it would be hard to come up with a complete rucking system but randomising rucks just makes it feel like league

A good option would be to press x (for example) and the more you press it the greater a bar will move - this has the effect of contesting the ball and therefore increasing the chance of turning the ball over or slowing it down for the other team. However everytime you press the x button you increase the level of offending and once it reaches a certain level the ref could penalise you.

If a team kept on doing this but not enough to get penalised they would put loads of pressure on the other team - forcing turnovers and slowing the ball down. Although it would be a fine line as eventually the ref would figure it out and start to blow his whistle and look into his pocket.

Originally posted by BigTen@Dec 28 2005, 03:21 PM
A good option would be to press x (for example) and the more you press it the greater a bar will move - this has the effect of contesting the ball and therefore increasing the chance of turning the ball over or slowing it down for the other team. However everytime you press the x button you increase the level of offending and once it reaches a certain level the ref could penalise you.

If a team kept on doing this but not enough to get penalised they would put loads of pressure on the other team - forcing turnovers and slowing the ball down. Although it would be a fine line as eventually the ref would figure it out and start to blow his whistle and look into his pocket.
have never heard of that idea/implementation........but i like it.

in fact, if they could mix that idea with pushing, and digging from JLR, u'd have the perfect rucking system.........extremely complex, extremely interactive, and gameplay effective

This is one idea, i have never heard of

Good Call Bigten..............perhaps, hopefully, this will be taken into account for futre ***les.

Even perhaps u could smash x button, to raise the bar, then tap circle (or whatever), when the bar is maxed, to pinch the ball, or force a turnover

ie if the team with ball takes to long to get rid of it, u smashing x eventually raises the bar to max, then if still in ruck, tap circle, and pinch it.

Yeah niice AK - although I personally don't like smashing buttons - it makes playing the game too exhausting!

There would be a balance somewhere though! Maybe tap...tap...tap...tap rather than taptaptaptaptaptaptaptap<gasp>taptaptaptaptaptaptap etc.

Think of the rapier rather than the sledgehammer.

Originally posted by BigTen@Dec 28 2005, 04:13 PM
Yeah niice AK - although I personally don't like smashing buttons - it makes playing the game too exhausting!

There would be a balance somewhere though! Maybe tap...tap...tap...tap rather than taptaptaptaptaptaptaptap<gasp>taptaptaptaptaptaptap etc.

yes timely mashings

like swimming in the olympic games, and even JLR's rucks were timely

Not like RL2, not like WCR, not like E Honda

the hundred hand slaps have got to be terminated

Originally posted by ak47+Dec 28 2005, 04:32 PM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ak47 @ Dec 28 2005, 04:32 PM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-BigTen
@Dec 28 2005, 04:13 PM

There would be a balance somewhere though!  Maybe tap...tap...tap...tap rather than taptaptaptaptaptaptaptap<gasp>taptaptaptaptaptaptap etc.

yes timely mashings

like swimming in the olympic games, and even JLR's rucks were timely

Not like RL2, not like WCR, not like E Honda

the hundred hand slaps have got to be terminated [/b]
Indeed........

........all these almost type games are making the JLR legend grow each year......did the programmers get alzheimers or something (no offence)?

The JLR rucking system was so brilliant......

i hated the jlr rucking i think i have said this before somewhere

whoever had the quickest fingers always won the ruck

always put a player in and take him out really fast and you would get the ball no matter what, i hated it.

Originally posted by woosaah@Dec 29 2005, 09:24 AM

always put a player in and take him out really fast and you would get the ball no matter what, i hated it.
no no no....your doing it wrong.....hehehe...

.....yes....I think we have spoken about this before....

......going back to R2005......me and my brother spent HOURS stopping the play at every "turnover" and replaying exactly what happened and which players were doing what.........in the end we still could not find ONE factor that seemed consistent all the time with a turnover.......

.......perhaps we needed to keep digging......or maybe it was semi random.....

.....only EA really know and they aren't telling

Originally posted by Gay-Guy+Dec 29 2005, 10:54 AM--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Gay-Guy @ Dec 29 2005, 10:54 AM)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-woosaah
@Dec 29 2005, 09:24 AM

no no no....your doing it wrong.....hehehe...

.....yes....I think we have spoken about this before....

......going back to R2005......me and my brother spent HOURS stopping the play at every "turnover" and replaying exactly what happened and which players were doing what.........in the end we still could not find ONE factor that seemed consistent all the time with a turnover.......

.......perhaps we needed to keep digging......or maybe it was semi random.....

.....only EA really know and they aren't telling [/b]
it is greater than the myth of the burmuda triangle

Andrew Wilson, could be abducted by Aliens, and EA still wouldnt tell

Latest posts