Hartley cited

B10

Academy Player
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
England
http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/rugby/2012/0319/1224313568450.html

England hooker Dylan Hartley has been cited for allegedly biting Stephen Ferris in Ireland’s 30-9 Six Nations defeat at Twickenham on Saturday. The Ulster backrow claimed he was bitten in the 28th minute of the game but referee Nigel Owens admitted he saw nothing at the time.

However, Italian citing commissioner Alberto Recalbini confirmed today Hartley has a case to answer.

Under IRB law 10.4 (m), acts contrary to good sportsmanship, the New Zealand born, Northampton captain could be suspended for 12 weeks (low end), 18 weeks (mid range) or 24-plus weeks (high end) if found guilty.

A date for the disciplinary hearing has yet to be announced but video evidence will be used and Ferris can be called for questioning.

In April 2007 Hartley received a 26-week suspension for eye gouging.

Very silly boy if this is true. Would leave us with a problem at hooker with no stand out replacements and no one with much experience apart from Mears.

This is not the first time Dylan has gotten into trouble. Hes got to becareful, keep it hard, aggressive and forceful but most importantly its got to be Rugby.

"Acts contrary to good sportsmanship"? I'd personally call it assault just like eye gouging is.

Meh, I'm sure Hartleys defense is gonna be 'what was his finger/hand doing in my mouth anyway'.

And biting tbh is pretty tame compared to gouging, tip tackles and punches etc when damage one can do is considered.

http://www.irishtimes.com/sports/rugby/2012/0319/1224313568450.html

Very silly boy if this is true. Would leave us with a problem at hooker with no stand out replacements and no one with much experience apart from Mears.

For absolutely deliberate eye gouging - of the Schalk Burger Lions Tour 2009 variety - players should be banned indefinately. I don't know where I stand on biting but it certainly has to be a bloody long ban as well. If Hartley is banned I'm not actually that bothered because I don't want thuggish pr*cks in my team, who would?

A loss here would also be an opportunity. I think the biggest hit to our team will be the cohesiveness of the front row going forward - we'd be fine but the front 3 would need to rebuild a new bond and understanding with the new hooker. Otherwis, it's an exciting opportunity to bring another youngster in to play, hopefully Joe Gray with Jamie George an outside possibility. I'm fairly certain that Mears won't be kept around if Lancaster remains coach, which is good. Webber is out injured now, and in the first place needs to stake a place based on consistent performance rather than being the only other hooker in England who isn't sh*te. With Lancaster's new ethos I can see him not picking Hartley ever again if this ban comes in.

I will firstly wait to see some actual proof that his finger was in Dylans mouth. After that the question will be why it was there.
Lets not forget that one player was on his face at the bottom of a ruck and the other was standing over him trying to drag him off (all of which is a normal part of the game). To then make a huge leap to say that Dylan deliberately put Ferris's finger in his mouth and then bit it is a big step.

If however he is guilty then the punishment should be equil to the crime. However based on previous IRB decisions it could be 2 weeks (or years)

Meh, I'm sure Hartleys defense is gonna be 'what was his finger/hand doing in my mouth anyway'.

And biting tbh is pretty tame compared to gouging, tip tackles and punches etc when damage one can do is considered.

that will absolutely be his defence IMO and it then becomes a "he says, he says" dispute, result not guilty, move along please!

"Acts contrary to good sportsmanship"? I'd personally call it assault just like eye gouging is.

I remember Hartley maliciously and intentionally attacking Richie Rees' fingers with his eyes, funnily enough.

****ing English arsehole...

I remember Hartley maliciously and intentionally attacking Richie Rees' fingers with his eyes, funnily enough.

****ing English arsehole...
I also remember Hartley gouging two players in the same match, and dropping an elbow on Richie McCaw.
Lets not paint Hartley to be all sunshine and rainbows.

Has the date of his hearing been set yet?

I also remember Hartley gouging two players in the same match, and dropping an elbow on Richie McCaw.
Lets not paint Hartley to be all sunshine and rainbows.

Has the date of his hearing been set yet?

27th March.

I think youll find that Hartley has NEVER been found guilty of 'gouging' Olly. Dont let the truth get in the way of a good story though, eh.

He was found guilty on two counts of "making contact with the eyes" - rule book talk for gouging/eye poking/whatever. Gouging is just what I call "making contact with the eyes".

Cueto got banned for last season for gouging, but in reality he pushed a player in the face with his hand hitting him in the eyes - wasn't a gouge, but the laws said "making contact with the eyes" so I call it a gouge as that's a very waffly term.

He was found guilty on two counts of "making contact with the eyes" - rule book talk for gouging/eye poking/whatever. Gouging is just what I call "making contact with the eyes".

Cueto got banned for last season for gouging, but in reality he pushed a player in the face with his hand hitting him in the eyes - wasn't a gouge, but the laws said "making contact with the eyes" so I call it a gouge as that's a very waffly term.

The same way you describe it as "stating your opinion", whereas in reality your just talking ********?

You can bite someone's finger off that's worse than a punch.

You can bite someone's finger off that's worse than a punch.

There's also the whole infection thing, I'm sure Hartley is crawling with nasties. :p

I also don't think it should all come down to the potential damage, Biting is a very scummy thing to do and should never happen on a rugby pitch and deserves a lengthy ban. Punching on the other hand is going to happen in a contact sport and should definitely have a punishment but a less severe one.

10119.jpg

who's finger?

Like a moth to the flame, theres captain know it all with his predictable post of sensationalism. Care to post the citing report which followed that, or are you happy to conceede that the photo is out of context and there was no case to answer?

Of course, you wont. But thats besides the point.

Like a moth to the flame, theres captain know it all with his predictable post of sensationalism. Care to post the citing report which followed that, or are you happy to conceede that the photo is out of context and there was no case to answer?

you call somebody a "liar" on the basis that they referred to illegal contact with the eye as gouging and "talking ********" because they said that illegal contact was basically the same or similar to gouging, maybe you could explain the difference?

the word "gouging" was widely reported in the press and he was found guilty of and the player himself has said of the ban that he "brought it upon himself" and that he was "a bit of a ********"

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/sport/dylan-hartleys-windup-fear-6742311.html

regarding the photo I made no comment so there is no sensationalism, there was no citing, and it was out of context and no case to answer as you say, it's just Hartley's finger making contact with a player's eye, that's all, nothing more, nothing less

Latest posts