• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Have Exeter got premiership fever and lost their way?

Will Simpson

Academy Player
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Leeds
When Exeter were recruiting last season they created a squad a players who had something to prove and who had a strong passion, with the signings of players such as James Scaysbrook, Andrew Higgins and players such as Budgen it seemed that they were creating a dynasty and performed very well throughout the season. But it seems with the signings so far that,they have just destroyed that, with signing's of established players like Peter Short, Gonzalo Camachio and Craig Mitchell. I understand that they are strengthening their squad I don't think that this is a good move for the club. They should either be a squad of passionate people who have a point to prove and create a dynasty. Or be a team, of international (although some of these are players who are struggling at a national level) players, not some sort of mush between the two. Im not too sure how next season is gong to work out for them... although I do not think they will do worse than the Falcons.

Last edited:
I was very surprised by Exeter last season, I expected them to struggle, as they hadn't made that many big signings, but they ended up doing very well and finishing 8th, including a win against Saracens away

However I think like what happened to Bristol when they promoted back up they got in the Top 4 but then reverted to being continually in the bottom few teams

Worcester did the same stayed up comfortably in 8th and 9th in their first two seasons and then reverted to type and were involved in a relegation dog scrap from then onwards

I think that Exeter will lose their surprise factor over time and will be involved in yearly relegation fights if not this season then in the next two seasons, however I would argue that these signings have improved their squad you can't just not sign anyone and not look to improve as Olyy says, look at Worcester, in the forwards they hardly signed anyone new during their stay in the Premiership, and the expensive signings in the backs were left pondering out wide with no ball given to them to justify their salary.

Worcester will be much stronger than when they went down and their dreadful attacking play in their last couple of Premiership I think has been rectified

However I think Newcastle will go down this season, they were poor last season and they have hardly improved their squad with the signings of Dan Frazier, Richard Mayhew, Will Chudley, Jordi Pasqualin, Jamie Helleur, Ryan Shortland and Greg Goosen, none of whom are exactly world beater, they are probably the worst team on paper

Last edited:
I thought they would be signing players that are top quality, but have a point to prove (that fit into their new ethos) like Paul Sackey for example as he as being released from Toulon because of his "unsatisfactory performances" which means he has a point to prove. Or maybe Andy Tuilagi although he cant catch he has a point to prove due to his release from Sale.

Sackey would've been a terrible signing,
Would be asking a lot of money, and isn't worth it

Tuilagi can catch, just can't/won't pass - you never know, they might sign him, he's not announced where he's going (as far as I'm aware)

The signings they've made are good signings, they'll play well for the club and make them stronger - Mitchell, for example, is just starting his international career properly (after a few off-the-bench caps before) and looked good for Wales, if he plays his cards right he'll be involved in the Wales set up for many years to come
I'd say it's better to sign him than some guy at the tail end of his career who used to play for their country way back when

Camacho, considering he wouldn't exactly ask for that much in terms of wages could be a bargain, better value than Sackey

They still have a load of established point to prove players. But it makes sense to shore up your team with proven players sometimes to add a bit of edge. Look at Leeds, they arguably went down because they offloaded their few talented players and didn't bring anyone in.

Anyways, Exeter signed 3 guys mid season didn't they, and that worked out alright.

No, signing new players does not mean the end of an era. The players they've signed are world class, and I'm pretty sure all have been signed for more than a single season, so they should be fairly committed.

Camacho is a fantastic player and a great signing. Should be starting for Argentina come the world cup, and definitely would benefit the Chiefs.

What r u on about? Budgen has been there since 2008 and is 37, Andrew Higgins is 29. How is that creating a dynasty?? Also u r saying a team has to be full of internationals or full of
people with something to prove. Ur comments also seem to suggest that an international player will be more passionate than international players! Surely a mix of the two is the best option, if u had all internationals u would lose all of them at the start of next year for a start! U r speaking crap!

Interesting thread for a Chiefs supporter.

I hope the short answer is no, Exeter are progressing steadily as they have done over the last 10 years. These are good signings with a mixture of experience and youth, Craig Mitchell is still fairly young and looking to make a statement to secure the Wales jersey and our academy is producing a fairly high standard of youth players.

What many of you won't have seen is just how long this road has been and there is a lot of patience in the Exeter setup. Rob is no nonsense farmer and a very shrewd coach as we saw last season, he knows what he is looking for. Importantly the players he brings in know what is expected of them and any prima donna behaviour will not be tolerated (see Nadolo).

Another factor is money, always an issue for Exeter (despite making a profit last year) as we have no sugar daddy and still dont get anything like the central funding everyone else gets from the prem shares, at least until we can buy Bristol's from them.

This year will be far tougher than last and once again I will be happy with 11th but hoping for more!

Last edited:
No, signing new players does not mean the end of an era. The players they've signed are world class, and I'm pretty sure all have been signed for more than a single season, so they should be fairly committed.

Camacho is a fantastic player and a great signing. Should be starting for Argentina come the world cup, and definitely would benefit the Chiefs.

:huh:

:lol:

No.

Latest posts