Health News

Which Tyler

Hall of Fame
TRF Legend
Country Flag
France
Club or Nation
Bath
This doesn't really fit here, but may not deserve a thread of its own.

A different Oxford vaccine is proving effective against Malaria, humanity's biggest killer. 77% effective in children!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...proves-highly-effective-in-burkina-faso-trial

Obviously small scale trial so far - but if it can be repeated in larger trials, this is massive
Vaccine has been approve for use by WHO.
Potentially the most important vaccine of the century, even at "just" 30-40% effectiveness.

This is the vaccine research that Bill Gates has been pouring money into - I wonder if there's a conspiracy to ge microchips / 5G / Human Magnetism into African children? Or is it just idiots with smartphones who need to be chipped?

Vaccine has been approve for use by WHO.
Potentially the most important vaccine of the century, even at "just" 30-40% effectiveness.

This is the vaccine research that Bill Gates has been pouring money into - I wonder if there's a conspiracy to ge microchips / 5G / Human Magnetism into African children? Or is it just idiots with smartphones who need to be chipped?
One key fact here is that this has very little benefit to the western world. One of the biggest issues with malaria has been that western medical companies have had little incentive to pour money at the problem. The fact that a vaccine has been developed for a disease that predominantly affects poor, African people is a good sign that some people with money and influence are trying to make the world a better place as a whole. Yes I'm sure they will still make a profit, but it's more than others have done.

One key fact here is that this has very little benefit to the western world. One of the biggest issues with malaria has been that western medical companies have had little incentive to pour money at the problem. The fact that a vaccine has been developed for a disease that predominantly affects poor, African people is a good sign that some people with money and influence are trying to make the world a better place as a whole. Yes I'm sure they will still make a profit, but it's more than others have done.
And I would genuinely applaud Bill Gates for his investments here.
Probably the single best example of billionaire ego-philanthropy; far, far better than going to space (though one of those 3 at least is doing so to gather good science as well as boosting his already-massive ego - even if the ultimate purpose is to build a bond-villain lair on Mars)

1/3 feels instinctively about where I am at the moment; I hadn't realised that there was actually a recommended reduction (obviously, overall). It's always seems to me like the claims have been pretty close to all-or-nothing "If you're not fully vegetarian, then why even bother" "If you still eat fish or dairy, then you're a failure" (same for those who reduce rather than quit smoking, or drinking). I've always felt messaging was counter-productive.
Better for 1 million people to make a 10% reduction, than a thousand people make a 100% reduction.

Last edited:
For health reasons I need to now cut down on meat but also saturated fat in general. Accumulation over the years of has raised my cholesterol to above normal.

Just need to bulk up more on the veggies. Treat meat more as more of luxury and treat than just the norm in my case but I am at a different stage of my life compared to a 20 year old who likes to gorge themselves on McDonald's every other day. Not gonna totally give up meat in my diet. And if it helps the environment so much the better.

Government continuing with the ridiculous idea that tough targets will actually work. It doesn't mention it here, but I believe previously it has been said that trusts who miss their targets will lose funding. Yay! So trusts struggling to clear the back log will have more money taken, so be able to provide less service and that will mean their back log just grows.

Government continuing with the ridiculous idea that tough targets will actually work. It doesn't mention it here, but I believe previously it has been said that trusts who miss their targets will lose funding. Yay! So trusts struggling to clear the back log will have more money taken, so be able to provide less service and that will mean their back log just grows.

I can tell you from personal experience that had I got treated for my cancer under the NHS it would have delayed my operation by several weeks, whereas under private I was on the operating theatre within a few days of being diagnosed. With cancer it's all about early diagnosis and preventing spread and preventing it metastasizing in other organs. This is why it is so important seen to straight away. I am thankful at least that mine was pre Covid and I dread to think for others who have delayed in past two years because a lot of knock effects because of Covid will be caused because of it. It's also the follow up check ups and treatments which Bojo and Co won't talk about and include in their figures.

I can tell you from personal experience that had I got treated for my cancer under the NHS it would have delayed my operation by several weeks, whereas under private I was on the operating theatre within a few days of being diagnosed. With cancer it's all about early diagnosis and preventing spread and preventing it metastasizing in other organs. This is why it is so important seen to straight away. I am thankful at least that mine was pre Covid and I dread to think for others who have delayed in past two years because a lot of knock effects because of Covid will be caused because of it. It's also the follow up check ups and treatments which Bojo and Co won't talk about and include in their figures.
Pretty quick for me, still around 14 days (under the NHS time limit) and got my operation this Thursday. Still absolutely ******** it but hope the recovery isn't too long.

Pretty quick for me, still around 14 days (under the NHS time limit) and got my operation this Thursday. Still absolutely ******** it but hope the recovery isn't too long.
Good luck. It's a very personal experience and hope you recover fully! If you want to PM me then please do. Also MacMillan cancer care were incredible. Really helped me through it and your options. Still donate a tenner a month to them.

Thought of putting this in political thread but thought it almost relevant to mental health. I think below really sums issues of identity. Certainly something I can relate to growing up in Britain as an ethnic minority. But also relevant for Brexit etc.

My desire to be British and "fit in" better than my parents did, stems from a fundamental human desire to belong. The feeling that we belong – to someone, somewhere – is so important to us as human beings that psychologist Abraham Maslow, in his "hierarchy of needs", rated it the third-most crucial human need (after physiological needs, such as food, water and warmth, and physical safety). It's a need that is found across all cultures.

US psychology professors Roy Baumeister and Mark Leary recognised it as the driver for much of human behaviour, including love, friendship, power and achievement. Fitting into a larger group allows us to feel part of something bigger and more important than ourselves.

Belonging, then, is a sense that we have roots and a purpose, that we are a valued member of a family, group or society, that we make a contribution. In essence, belonging validates to us that we matter, which is why it is so central to human happiness. Conversely, without belonging, people can begin to feel worthless, shameful, lonely and resentful. All the negative emotions that drive poor mental health.

Thought of putting this in political thread but thought it almost relevant to mental health. I think below really sums issues of identity. Certainly something I can relate to growing up in Britain as an ethnic minority. But also relevant for Brexit etc.
I listened to a podcast with Oprah Winfrey and a psychologist she had worked with and one thing they said was that not belonging and trying to fit in over an extended period of time can lead to PTSD that is just as bad as coming from a single traumatic event. You're constantly not able to regulate your emotions and feel safe and those micro traumas continually build up (I am writing from memory, so may not be explaining it exactly).

Latest posts